Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Range near New Plymouth

Been a while now since the range out near Okako closed down, and wanting somewhere to go for some zeroing and group work. Anyone know of anywhere nearby? I've heard tell that the NZDA guys are going down to Hawera... closer would be nice, but if needs must...

Thanks

G

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    Hmm yeah also in the same boat here mate.. If you do end up doing the drive, lemme know and we can car pool?

Keen to share a ride and scope out the Hawera place if I can find some more info on it, definitely! You not been down there as yet?

Awesome, yeah I've been twice.. Once with the NRA (which I need to join this year.. Haha) and once with a mate who was part of the South Naki NZDA. Yourself?

Just hook up with the Hawera NRA guys , its only open during the normal shooting season I think , so make sure the range is going to be open before driving down from NP , also be aware the max range is 600 , thats unless they have dropped the trees blocking out 800+ .

Later Chris

I am going to Join the pistol club to use the range there. Mainly because of how close it is and can get into a lot of 22 plinking too.
    have you had a look there?

Have had a look, but work schedule pretty much means no pistol license on the cards for me. Could work if they don't mind me joining when I'm not going to go after B Cat. I think they've got a 100yd (or just under) there for member use.... I'll give them a go as well!

Could be up for a cruise down Hawera after the 15th if you're about Lost? Drop us a pm sometime.

Yeah I used the hundred yard range the other day with my friend who is a member. I think they prefer you to have your B cat but if you just want to shoot rifles I think they don't mind as long as you don't bring everyone over to use the range. the 100yd range just doesn't have lights.

That's good to know. They mind you throwing bigger bit's of lead than .22 at the 100yrd?

Sounds good to me Grue, will try suss some info from the NRA/South Naki NZDA boys before then! Would be good if the pistol guys don't mind some bigger calibers! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Grue View Post
    That's good to know. They mind you throwing bigger bit's of lead than .22 at the 100yrd?
    Yeah we was shooting 270, 303 and a mosin.

Just rifle cartridges cant be used on the 50yd range. Range rules. you can shoot pistol cartridges from a rifle in the 50yd range eg 44mag from a lever action.

@lost I believe there is a nzda shoot at hawera range on sunday 14th from 10 am hope to be there for it myself
    Its a iron sight shoot 2 classes. Target and hunter
    Any other dates for nzda I have there calendar pm me I can send u a copy
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Grue ,

Also , look at the NP pistol club , maybe handy to you , you should be able to join as a type of associate member , ie for you to use the 100yd rifle range to the rear of the club , and not shoot pistols , should be cheaper than a full membership ?
    Also look at maybe doing the same at the Stratford pistol club , thats out past Douglas , as a associate member ( ie no pistol ) , they have a 100yd firing point for rifles as well , but be aware the access to this range is limited in winter/wet , as the grass flat you need to cross gets muddy ( as its a swamp ) , and so in winter/wet , you need a good 4x4 vechicle to drive right up to the range .
    RE : B cat , and shift work , drop me a PM .

later Chris