Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Recoil 270

Recoil 270

Advice pls , Would a Suppressed 270 be to much for a my 10 year old daughter ? . She's nagging me to take her for a hunt ,where she shoots an animal . Sounds like its going to be a Wallaby , have got a 22 but probably a bit light thoughts ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Na go for it Munsey, I can make you up some light loads if you really want? But I'm sure it will be fine, Paula can shoot mine unsuppressed all day and she's not very big at all

Download is my advice based on my 13 and 12 year old daughters. I load 110gr at 3000 in my 708, weighs about 7.5lb. My 13 yr old doesn't like it, 12 yr old seems fine. Find a 100/110gr 270 pill and download a bit.

Perfect excuse to buy a 223!

Yep a 270 will be not the best idea for your daughter. All good for a one off shot maybe but more than that will probably end in tears

All depends on the girl.
    Some people don't handle much recoil, some don't mind. I hear plenty of adults bitching about the recoil from a 270.
    If you can get some lighter loads as suggested above there shouldn't be a problem. A 110gn pill at 2900fps will still do the job (if used properly) and will be a pussy to shoot. Probably cheaper than buying a new rifle.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

If it was going to be after new years, and you were travelling via Fairlie to look for said wallabies, should have a suppressed 223 available here you'd be more than welcome to borrow for a day or two.
    Pengy and Shearer like this.

My 75 has more of a strong push than a punch with the can on if that means anything.

I wouldnt put my 10 yr old daughter behind my 270. My 12 yr old boy can and does shoot it, but they both prefer the .243. Comparing the two is unfair but even I prefer the light recoiling .243

Borrow a .223 off someone. Will blow it to bits if she places the shot poorly and no real recoil.
    Steve123 likes this.

SiB
    As a heavy-calibre flincher I'd take up the guys suggestions re .223 or similar. One shot with a .270 suppressed on light load might be OK but if you're going after wallabies I'd be expecting a bit of lead will fly. It won't stay 'fun' for long

I agree re the comments re .270 bark. It is substantially different to the .30 cal types

You are welcome to borrow a suppressed 223 or 243 and plenty of ammo @Munsey.
    veitnamcam, Munsey and Mathias like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Youngsters are a short time growing up. Seems even shorter now. I never shot a hi powered centerfire untill i was big enough to hold it up myself. While I get it that guys are keen to get the young uns out there and having fun. Sometimes as a parent you have to make the hard call and say no ... not untill you're older.
    There is a Vid on youtube of some small girl in the US getting to have a "first shot" with Dads rifle. By her look in the vid at the shot, she'll never do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Advice pls , Would a Suppressed 270 be to much for a my 10 year old daughter ? . She's nagging me to take her for a hunt ,where she shoots an animal . Sounds like its going to be a Wallaby , have got a 22 but probably a bit light thoughts ?
    slap a limbsaver on and your done she wont feel a thing.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Thanks Everybody for advice given. Im going to Err on the side if caution , and not let her shoot the 270 . Thanks Gm & striker for the offer of a loaner , but I'm not keen on borrowing fire arms . I might look at a cheep 223 or 243 if anyone got one they want to pass on ?
    deer243 likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Thanks Everybody for advice given. Im going to Err on the side if caution , and not let her shoot the 270 . Thanks Gm & striker for the offer of a loaner , but I'm not keen on borrowing fire arms . I might look at a cheep 223 or 243 if anyone got one they want to pass on ?
    Well put it this way Munsey, I bought the 243 rifle new but was not the first to blood it, I leant it to someone else first for a tahr hunt. The scopes aren't flash and I don't think it would be easy to break any of the rifles, and I wouldn't cry if I or anyone else did. Easy enough to sort out any issues.
    mikee and deer243 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!