Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rem M700P - one of those range seesions where you can't count the holes...

Rem M700P - one of those range seesions where you can't count the holes...

Been going to hang this one on the wall of the gun box, one of those shoots where it doesn't make sense until you go and inspect the paper... I couldn't work out where the bullets were hitting - it was the first group I shot with this rifle after getting it zero'd.

M700 Police in .308/7.62 with FGGM, stock otherwise. Shite scope - one of those Falcon Menace crappy FFP things with a reticle that covers a bus at 50m. (could be one of the reasons I couldn't see the holes - must fix that one day).

Name:  Rem M700P FGGM 28-3-16.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  779.3 KB

Blaming the off hole on the gust of wind that went through, but even if it was me that f'd it up it's still an impressive group. The rapid group was that, as fast as the bolt went the bullet went. Playtime...

The squares are 1/2".

You can't put a post like that without a picture of the rig you know that?
    I have of those falcon menace, despite not being the greatest scope, she still holds on her zero well , the clicks are as crisp as the first day, and the magnification zoom start to just loosen enough to be confortable to turn.
    Gerbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    You can't put a post like that without a picture of the rig you know that?
    I have of those falcon menace, despite not being the greatest scope, she still holds on her zero well , the clicks are as crisp as the first day, and the magnification zoom start to just loosen enough to be confortable to turn.
    Can do, nxt week once I come off course. Fully stock M700 Police, nothing special at all - 2nd hand to me and apparently even the trigger hasn't been touched from new...

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Been going to hang this one on the wall of the gun box, one of those shoots where it doesn't make sense until you go and inspect the paper... I couldn't work out where the bullets were hitting - it was the first group I shot with this rifle after getting it zero'd.

M700 Police in .308/7.62 with FGGM, stock otherwise. Shite scope - one of those Falcon Menace crappy FFP things with a reticle that covers a bus at 50m. (could be one of the reasons I couldn't see the holes - must fix that one day).

Attachment 69446

Blaming the off hole on the gust of wind that went through, but even if it was me that f'd it up it's still an impressive group. The rapid group was that, as fast as the bolt went the bullet went. Playtime...

The squares are 1/2".
    That could be the way that rifle groups that load the rapid fire group looks the same as the slow fire just expanded, shoot the load at 200 and 300 if you can and see if the pattern
    of the groups are the same, you may need to tweak the load a little to get that wayward bullet into the group, looks like you have a winner.

Good point. It's Federal Gold Medal Match, 168Gr load. If it continues to group like that, most with the odd to the left and down it might be a bedding twick with the HS Precision bedding block or some such. Not really a priority with it grouping like that though, to be honest!

That's the ammo Remington chamber their rifles for sort of industry standard unfortunately my .308 is chambered for 155 SMK and the Federal OAL is just a tad long pushes pressure
    to high.

Bed it and correctly torque action, will be 5 shot ragged every time with the federal match.
    The Police model should come with an ok adjustable factory trigger. Not the piece of shit one all the other models have.
    Try some of the Geco hollow points, bit cheaper $, similar results.
    Mauser308 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    That's the ammo Remington chamber their rifles for sort of industry standard unfortunately my .308 is chambered for 155 SMK and the Federal OAL is just a tad long pushes pressure
    to high.
    Why would Remington chamber their rifles for Federal ammo, when they make their own Remington Premier Match ammo using the same Sierra 168gr bullet?

FGGM is the defacto industry standard in the US, I have about 450rounds of the Federal-issue FGGM which comes in the 10-round plastic slip, plain white stickered to ID what the ammo is and then boxed in a steel ammo box. The Remington ammo is their version of the same, same pill and same velocity but Rem cases.

Banned
    I find it hard to believe that any factory rifle would be chambered for a specific competing manufacturers load, rather than to SAAMI specs.

They would have issues selling a rifle labelled as a "Police" model if it wasn't chambered for the standard Fed-approved load. If your entire targetted customer base is expecting and looking for red flowers as their industry standard and you grow blue ones and expect them to move to your idea that blue is better than red, you better have some good salesmen and some better advertising blurb and inducements.

If they have an issue and they aren't using the fed-approved load how do you think they will get on with the legal challange and lawsuit after the event? So if you are in the business selling rifles, and you don't give the customer what they are expecting and want (i.e. standard load capability that minimises liability) how many do you think that they are expecting to sell? Also, it isn't so much the chambering as the throat dimensions they have used which are optimised for the 168gr SMK projectile.

What I find interesting in all this, is that you are concerned with the fact that Rem has chambered the rifles for a specific load (FGGM) and you've missed the biggest issue that they've chambered them for .308 WINCHESTER in the first place.

Dude, your head works in some funny ways!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    They would have issues selling a rifle labelled as a "Police" model if it wasn't chambered for the standard Fed-approved load. If your entire targetted customer base is expecting and looking for red flowers as their industry standard and you grow blue ones and expect them to move to your idea that blue is better than red, you better have some good salesmen and some better advertising blurb and inducements.

If they have an issue and they aren't using the fed-approved load how do you think they will get on with the legal challange and lawsuit after the event? So if you are in the business selling rifles, and you don't give the customer what they are expecting and want (i.e. standard load capability that minimises liability) how many do you think that they are expecting to sell? Also, it isn't so much the chambering as the throat dimensions they have used which are optimised for the 168gr SMK projectile.

What I find interesting in all this, is that you are concerned with the fact that Rem has chambered the rifles for a specific load (FGGM) and you've missed the biggest issue that they've chambered them for .308 WINCHESTER in the first place.

Dude, your head works in some funny ways!!!!!!!!!
    It doesn't matter if it's labelled as a Police model or BDL. They are chambered in .308 Win to SAMMI specs.

To claim 700P models should onlybe used with Federal Gold Medal is fucking nonsense.

If there are such issues with 'legal challenges and lawsuits after the event' and 'standard load capability that minimises liability', why isn't it mentioned anywhere in Remington's literature, either online, in the user manuals or stamped on the barrel?

The reason is that there no issues and that the rifle is a mass produced factory rifle chambered to SAAMI specs. Not optimized for a specific load. If it was, I'm sure they would mention it it their user manuals, advertising and elsewhere. But they don't.

You are talking out of your arse.

Edited to add, I challenge you to find anything from Remington that says anything about using any specific ammo in the 700 Police.

FFS. Clown...

The throat on the 700P's are configured to suit the 168gr SMK used on the FGGM 168Gr load. The Remington ammo is loaded to match the FGGM load. Simple. Can't get much easier than that really despite whatever dribble exists elsewhere.

Since shot this same rifle with ADI F4 ball, 3/4" average some up to 1.5" and nothing near the group size with the FGGM. The F4 is usually good stuff, shoots very well in the semi's and hunting rifles but not the 700P. Reason - the F4 load uses a 144gr FMJ pill and at loaded length the ogive distance is much greater than with the FGGM with the 168gr pill. That is why those same hunting rifles (of which I own one that happens to be a Remington M700 SPS) show higher pressures when used with the FGGM 168gr load. Pretty f-ing simple really.

I had a 1200TX Parker Hale target rifle that couldn't shoot the FGGM 168gr at all, the bullet was shoved into the lands and the bolt was very tight on closing. It was throated for the NRA regulation load, 150-155gr pills. The one I own now has a slightly worn throat and appears to chamber without jamming the bullet into the rifling but I haven't shot it.

Bro, you're back
    shift14 and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Bro, you're back
    @Gibo he couldn't find you on Grinder!