Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rem Mag Killing Power

Rem Mag Killing Power

I'm contemplating buying a Tikka T3 7mm rem mag. It seems the easiest way to shoot further...accurate and lightweight out of the box, Dan can, Lupua brass, Lee collet dies and the 162 amax...done...hopefully.

I am currently shooting the 162 amax out of my Savage 7mm 08 at 2600 fps. 21 inch barrel and Dan can. At just 42.5 grains of RL17 it is a pleasure to shoot. We have killed Sika out to 500 yards and with a well placed chest shot they go straight downhill not to far.

But I reckon 500 is about the limit and I know my shooting is good for 6-800 yards in decent conditions. The Rem mag should give me 3000 fps with the same projectile (for a lot more powder and recoil) but i do wonder how much more killing power it gives me. We are mostly shooting into small clearings in heavy scrub and the ultimate goal is to put them down on the spot.

How far can I expect those boom thump type kills from hydrostatic shock with the rem mag and amax?
    Part of my problem is that I shoot a lot of paper with the 08 and really enjoy its efficiency and gentleness.
    I dont want to run two calibers...I can hardly keep up with one.

Any thoughts are welcome....chris

The 7mmRM is fairly mild, I can easily fire one without a brake if required...but I do enjoy the benefits of spotting my own shots, so choose to use a brake in the right circumstances.

I have a fettish for 7mm's (7mm08, .284win, 7mmWSM, 7mmRM & 7mmSTW) all of them pretty much do the same thing, but the distance I can shoot them out too increases with velocity. As for ''killing power'' I doubt you'll notice much difference between the two calibres, but what you will be able to do is kill further out (extend your range) if that makes sense?

kj

Many will not agree, but what I reckon you need if you want to really nail them is a bigger hole, in fact 2 of them (one each side). I would step up to a 30 cal. Mine's a 300winmag. With a good stock, not much more recoil than the 7mm remmag (although mine has a suppressor). With a soft bullet like a 180 grn Nosler BT or a big AMax you will really mean business.

I have spent a lot of time shooting Sika on the tops , I cant for the life of me see why you would need to shoot 500m let alone further , it is relativly simple to stalk a Sika through all those gullies & when it has its head down feeding in the tussock , and you could use a lighter bullet going faster and go for neck shots then you dont have to worry about hydrostatic shock , and in all the time I have spent on those tops it is always windy . Believe me stalking is a great thrill and skill .
    P38, madjon_ and Andrew46826 like this.
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I have spent a lot of time shooting Sika on the tops , I cant for the life of me see why you would need to shoot 500m let alone further , it is relativly simple to stalk a Sika through all those gullies & when it has its head down feeding in the tussock , and you could use a lighter bullet going faster and go for neck shots then you dont have to worry about hydrostatic shock , and in all the time I have spent on those tops it is always windy . Believe me stalking is a great thrill and skill .
    Understand but we are not on the tops and most of the deer we see are 400 plus and simply cant be stalked. For me there is a lot of satisfaction in a long shot that goes well. We only shoot in good conditions and I practice a lot.
    puku, Savage1 and CreepingDeath like this.

My 7mm mag shooting 162 a-max or 168 bergers has had DRT kills out to 630 yds. Hit them with a high shoulder shot and they will drop, and yes they have exited. No need to go to the 300 win mag.
    Put a limbsaver on it as well.
    Pnumatix and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    My 7mm mag shooting 162 a-max or 168 bergers has had DRT kills out to 630 yds. Hit them with a high shoulder shot and they will drop, and yes they have exited. No need to go to the 300 win mag.
    You are probably right. Most of my hunting is with a 243 or 6.5 so when I decided i needed to go up a step for some occasions I took a big step. I based that on the exceptional results I used to get from the 308 back in the day, and the odd 30-06 I have seen used.

Ejected
    Yet the 6.5 would have done the job Tahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Yet the 6.5 would have done the job Tahr.
    Exactly, although over 400 yds the 6.5 does have a lot of delayed kills. Especially on Tahr.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    DRT?
    So you are saying you have to go high shoulder to drop them on the spot?
    We have been thinking about the high shoulder shot to sit them down. The one time I have used it I was abit to far back and missed the spine but broke the off shoulder. It wasnt boom thump but the animal tried to step and went straightdown. It is a much smaller target than the chest tho. I actually dont mind losing deer but I need to know they will die humanely.

You don't have to go High shoulder to sit them down on the spot, but it will probably do it more consistently. Here is a video of one I shot at 634yds, 168 berger 7mm rem mag My Movie634 yd spiker utube - YouTube Bullet entered about 3/4 up the shoulder and exited about 1/2 way up opposite shoulder. Conditions were 634 yds
    -9 degrees angle
    1006 mBar
    18oC
    40% humidity
    4 mph wind from 112 degrees (from over right shoulder)

I'm anything but a pro on the subject but I took down my first stag, a big red with a 7mm rem mag.

No brake, didnt hurt to much. Cant remember what weight the projectile was but they were hollow points, hit it in the base of the neck, no exit wound, hit the deck on the spot. From memory it was about 250m.

Thats impressive all right Stug...you wouldnt have touched the spine with that shot?
    JBM says I have to come in to about 280 yards to hit with the same velocity and energy (assuming 3100 fps)

+1 high shoulder shot. Tho i prefer to call it high lung shot as that is what you are or should be aiming at.
    You dont have to hit the spine just shock it and you will with a high lung shot, by the time they recover they have already bled out.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Thats impressive all right Stug...you wouldnt have touched the spine with that shot?
    JBM says I have to come in to about 280 yards to hit with the same velocity and energy (assuming 3100 fps)
    Yep. missed the spine, just shocked it as Vietnamcam suggested. Muzzle velocity 3070 fps, so pretty close to 3100.