Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger American RifleŽ Compact Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6914

Ruger American RifleŽ Compact Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6914

I'm considering getting a compact .223 and the new Ruger model 6914 looked promising. Light , short (18.5" Barrel) and in synthetic stock.
    Has anyone had any experience with this model?
    My concern is that the barrel twist for this model is 1:8 whereas the recognised barrel twist for Rem.223 is 1:12. and most .223 are either 1:9 or 1:12.
    I asked Ruger why this twist rate varied from their mini 14 & M77 barrels and all they could reply was "This was strictly an engineering design." Whopee!!
    Any advice gratefully received.

1:12 is a pretty shit twist rate, a 1:8 (or 1:7) twist will shoot any quality bullets in the lighter weights just as well as a 1:12 but it will also give you the ability to use actual useful bullets in the 70+gr range.

1:12" is only "recognised" in shitty hunting/varmint rifles, 1:7 is standard in a quality AR, 1:9 is also common

As he said, 1:8 is much more useful than 1:12 as it lets you use the heavier/longer bullets.

1:12 may have been the common 'standard twist' in the past, but with the popularity of heavier bullets there are more rifles in the 1:7-1:9 range now.

Thanks Gimp for the clarification

one word. CHEAP

Yea look for one of the m77 compact laminates. They're much nicer.

don don
    Hi folks,
    I,m a new bee. Looking to purchase a ruger compact in 7mm08 for a bush gun any thoughts on the gun guys ?

A friend just bought a new one, .223, green plastic, factory .5x28 threaded I think, rotary mag, accu type trigger. If it was a Toyota, I rekon it would be a Camry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesplice View Post
    I'm considering getting a compact .223 and the new Ruger model 6914 looked promising. Light , short (18.5" Barrel) and in synthetic stock.
    Has anyone had any experience with this model?
    My concern is that the barrel twist for this model is 1:8 whereas the recognised barrel twist for Rem.223 is 1:12. and most .223 are either 1:9 or 1:12.
    I asked Ruger why this twist rate varied from their mini 14 & M77 barrels and all they could reply was "This was strictly an engineering design." Whopee!!
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Have a look for my other posts on the Ruger American for my bush gun I've made over the past weeks but in Jan they're bringing in the shortened ranch version in AAC 300 blackout about the same recoil as a 223 with a much higher grain projectile.

take a look at it at Ruger American RifleŽ Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6968

just saying... thats what I'm doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Have a look for my other posts on the Ruger American for my bush gun I've made over the past weeks but in Jan they're bringing in the shortened ranch version in AAC 300 blackout about the same recoil as a 223 with a much higher grain projectile.

take a look at it at Ruger American RifleŽ Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 6968

just saying... thats what I'm doing...
    Anyone know when these will be in NZ? Shops seem to be stocking the other calibres but not the 300 BLK.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

I walked into a shop on my lunch break a couple of weeks ago and barely had to touch the stock and it smacked the barrel. You could bloody near sneeze on it and it'll hit the barrel it was so flimsy

I just got one for my kid, a #6939 in .223, and its perfect, cheap and nice.
    Yeh, its no Tikka, but very happy with what you get for the price.
    Just need to shoot it to see how it performs...
    Name:  small.jpg
Views: 10724
Size:  401.5 KB

How does the mag feed??

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    Anyone know when these will be in NZ? Shops seem to be stocking the other calibres but not the 300 BLK.
    Word from Ruger is the end of the month with a RRP of $799 for the Ranch version. Had this confirmed at two outlets in Auckland in the last week.

Ranch version has a far heavier barrel than the normal garden variety American. Be aware there is a Boss on the barrel where the Suppressor is threaded that will be a potential issue with fitting existing over barrel supressors. You may need to either get it either turned down by your gunsmith or just go with a Forward version of suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    I know of 2 shops in Auckland that will be getting 300 BLK version of the Ranch in the new shipment. PM me for details.

CD