Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ruger or howa

ruger or howa

Im going to get a 450 bushmaster as i want a bit more knockdown than a 308 sub has. I have done all my shooting with subs the last year and like it better than noisy shooting. So is a ruger or a howa the better choice. I look foward to the comments that this will generate.thanks martin

What one feels better for you? I tried the 2 for size and found the Ruger American ranch felt too short for me.

Get the Howa. The stock and the magazine are much better than the Ruger. Both will shoot.

What bullets have you been using in your .308?
    Just...say...the...word

You also have the option of the Oryx chassis with the Howa, which is what I would get.
    Just...say...the...word

I'd also go for the Howa. Has that cal more knock down than the 375 Winny with a 205 gn proj @ 100yds?

Got one of each in 300 both shoot good but howa has smoother bolt and longer stock while the ruger has cheaper ar mags in 300 not relevant for a 450 also a better mag release but it tends to double feed if working bolt slowly . The oryx is nice but heavy ,I sold mine as wanted a light gun for hunting when I get out .
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Get the Howa. The stock and the magazine are much better than the Ruger. Both will shoot.

What bullets have you been using in your .308?
    I have been using shooter's 151 cast which are better penetrators than the factory subs. Want more knockdown after loosing an animal. 308 subs not quite hard hitting enough

I can't speak for Ruger but I have a Howa Mini in the Oryx stock, trigger is bloody good, action is smooth, the stock makes it pretty heavy

My choice has always been the Howa over Ruger. With the exception of older (early 90s) or #1 rugers. Weatherby must have thought so too..as all the vanguards were made by Howa. But I will admit I have not had much to do with the new Ruger Americans

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Im going to get a 450 bushmaster as i want a bit more knockdown than a 308 sub has. I have done all my shooting with subs the last year and like it better than noisy shooting. So is a ruger or a howa the better choice. I look foward to the comments that this will generate.thanks martin
    Are you concerned about the twist rate on these rifles for subsonic rounds?

I've owned both, Ruger is a lighter rougher build but shoots well (300BLK), Howa is a heavier more polished build and shot like a laser (.243 ranch)
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    I have been using shooter's 151 cast which are better penetrators than the factory subs. Want more knockdown after loosing an animal. 308 subs not quite hard hitting enough
    Yes the .450 has the potential to shoot 400gr subs.

The targeting I focus on with subs is shooting for the central nervous system. And that doesn’t need much in the way of brute force. I’d far rather knock the animal over, then quickly push a finisher into it, than have to go looking for it. For close range hunting, I’ve found the .308 151gr really accurate out to ~80m (as far as I’ve tested) and for high shoulder shooting it’s very effective - in through the upper shoulder blade, into the spine around the T2-3-4 vertebrae and out the other side. It’s quite a big target. At sub-25m I’ve shot a range of animals... flyblown sheep, dozy billy goats, an injured horse to bailed pigs, all in the head or top of the neck.

No doubt in my mind that the .308 subsonic is a far better option for precision shooting than the other rifle I use with subs, a Ruger 77/44 (.44 Rem Mag).
    mimms2 likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Both will work well - when I was choosing my hunting rifle I looked at both, I went with the Ruger American Predator in 6.5cm over the Howa. I liked the trigger, the magazines (gen 2) are compatible with my Ruger Precision as well, its light and every review I'd seen said they are tack drivers - now owning one I can confirm that. It is true that the Ruger is a bit rougher around the edges - but functionally they are awesome - Magpul hunter stocks are available if you wanted to upgrade that (stock is probably the weakest point). I havent got any experience with the .450 so can't comment to much, although you might consider the .350 legend as an option there as well.

Howa is a bit nicer finished, both are good shooters. DO the rugers come in stainless? that would be a deal satealer for me in a scrub gun. 1 less thing to faff with