Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 13 Post By Pav
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 3 Post By Finnwolf
  • 3 Post By Bos
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By rockland
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: Sako Vixen L461 .222 first shoot

Pav

Sako Vixen L461 .222 first shoot

Finished work early today so made the most of the good weather and headed to Tokoroa for my first shoot of the wee Vixen. After bore sighting, got it on paper at 50m using Belmont loaded Hornady 50g Sp as I bought 100 rounds for a good price and continued to dial it in with the Belmont at 50m which produced a very respectable 5 shot group. Followed this up with 3 shot groups each of Federal Powershok and Winchester Super-X both at the same 50m, the Federal produced a very tight group with 2 shots one on top of the other which would have also been satisfactory had I not already sighted in with the Belmont due to different Poi. Wasn't overly impressed with the Winchester at 50m but would still be within minute of Deer. Bumped it out to 100m with the Belmont shooting a few different positions before running another 3 shot group of Federal at 100m which again produced a good 1moa group but 4 inches low and slightly to the left of where the Belmont is shooting. Rounded it out by shooting another full mag (man I love these little 7shot internal magazines) kneeling, sitting & standing at 50m bringing the round count to 39 for the afternoon.
    Now to take it bush
    Name:  20201002_163918-01.jpeg
Views: 721
Size:  544.1 KB
    Name:  20201002_160752-01.jpeg
Views: 689
Size:  827.3 KB
    Name:  20201002_163627-01.jpeg
Views: 704
Size:  1,010.4 KB
    Last edited by Pav; 02-10-2020 at 11:11 PM.

northdude
    Cant beat a nice 222
    Pav likes this.

I used one for years, great wee rifles - so well made and so accurate.
    Micky Duck, caberslash and Pav like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Bos
    Probably the best 222 ever made, along with the early BSA's and BRNO's. Vixens in good nick are getting harder to come by now, so look after yours mate, it'll see ya out.
    Micky Duck, caberslash and Pav like this.

Yes the Vixen is probably one of the best 222 around, I bought one while culling goats in the 70's and now wished I still had it. So true those 7 shot magazines were great.
    Pav and Dusty Fog like this.

Nice rifle Pav. If Sako had ever made Vixens in left hand I'd own one.

Just a suggestion... get your fave gunshop to give you a price on a case of 10 packets of the Federal Powershok ie. 200 rounds. Then you have a good supply of the most accurate ammo.
    I expect to get 15%-20% off the single packet price. The empty brass is also saleable.
    Yeah I'm half Scot.
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    Nice rifle Pav. If Sako had ever made Vixens in left hand I'd own one.

Just a suggestion... get your fave gunshop to give you a price on a case of 10 packets of the Federal Powershok ie. 200 rounds. Then you have a good supply of the most accurate ammo.
    I expect to get 15%-20% off the single packet price. The empty brass is also saleable.
    Yeah I'm half Scot.
    They did make them with a left hand stock though and there are some in NZ.
    Mathias likes this.