Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 9 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By Shootm
  • 3 Post By r87mm
  • 1 Post By Mathias

Thread: School holiday shooting practice

GWH

School holiday shooting practice

Last week of the school holidays, so i took Lucy my 6.5 year old daughter to the range to shoot her dinky little Marlin Youth rifle in .22lr.

She fired 20-30 shots at a spinner target and soda bottles and didnt have one miss (time to extend the range a bit more i think)

Then she had a go with my Model 7 223 at 100 yards. I used my old loads that the rifle is not zeroed for, i fired one to make sure it was on the plate (high and left a tad) she fired the next one, and she hit right beside mine, so shes on the money.

With the .22 she operated it all herself, cycling the bolt and safety etc and getting the rifle on target all by herself, a bit improvement from last time out. She was pretty happy with herself, and i was quite proud of her.

Heres a very short vid of the action (recorded all via phone so please excuse the quality of the zoom in's)

https://youtu.be/jgNs9sdkb34
    dogmatix, Tahr, Bernie and 6 others like this.

She is a very good shot, well done Lucy and Dad, I believe the learning curve is best done at a young age and respect for the firearm is then well entrenched by the time they are teenagers.
    GWH and Beaker like this.

Well done, my Lucy shares a Savage Rascal with her older brother.
    GWH likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Good stuff mate.
    The good thing with girls is they listen, but don’t worry as they get older that disappears and once they are married I’m sure they are completely deaf
    GWH likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Took my 14 year old daughter to the range with me. With the .22 she could hit the plates at 25-30 yards so both of us were pretty happy. She used to come hunting with me when she was little and if her social life would permit she would again! Also gave my son ago at a 9" plate at 300 yards with a .223. I'm right handed he's left but he hit it more than he missed. He's not into killing things so hunting's out but I explained hunting is only a small part of shooting. There's more to it than that and it's more about the discipline and targets are fun. I used to make him come with me when he was small but shielded him from the actual killing and dressing but felt it was good for him for exercise and to see what's in the country and hills that you don't get in the city and from a computer and maybe a few skills that may come in handy later in life. He happily eats the game and isn't offended where and how it is harvested. He's not an out door person but hopefully he's not incompetent out side now. Good on you for taking the time with your daughter and giving her an introduction to your hobby and maybe to our great out doors. One thing I've learned over the years is never shoot against a female as they tend to be unfairly good!
    GWH, Mooseman and berg243 like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Good shit. Girls tend to be good shots too.....
    GWH likes this.