Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Shooting place in Ohakune area?

Shooting place in Ohakune area?

I am a part time hunter long time shooter who grew up on a farm in Hawkes Bay and now lives in Auckland.

Lately a large number of my Auckland friends have asked me to take them shooting, teach them gun safety, help them get their license, etc. Sign of the times I suppose.

I am currently organising an Ohakune based four day adventure weekend for a bunch of mutual mates. Focus mostly on Skiing, Quad Biking, other outdoor activities. Myself and two other licensed mates wanted to run a shooting circuit to see if we could get a few of the others hooked on shooting/hunting, and had arranged some land to set it up on for Saturday August the 20th 2022. Only I have just been told the owner of the land is no longer able for us to use it.

The original plan was to run three activities. 1) .22 short range target shooting. 2) Shotgun Clay Bird. 3) Lever action plinking with .38 special.

Two groups of 7-8, everyone over 40 and sensible. We also have three license holders to oversee, all experienced at shooting.

As such I am looking for

1) Someone who would let us shoot on a bit of land in exchange for a nice bottle of scotch.
    2) A suitable public location (obviously I will have to get everyone a permit and change to centrefire only).

Welcome to the forum, suggest you get yourself known around here a bit before asking favors of that multitude. Under todays climate most are very cautious about allowing firearms on their property.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Perhaps contact Mayor of Raetehi. They like to boost their local economy and encourage visitors.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Welcome to the forum, suggest you get yourself known around here a bit before asking favors of that multitude. Under todays climate most are very cautious about allowing firearms on their property.
    Hi mate, I certainly appreciate the thought, if I was a land owner being asked I would want to know some history too. Though I would probably find out by getting into it with the person over the phone. I guess, I am looking for someone who's desire to help trumps those concerns at least for an initial chat. If that's not you, then no problems at all I totally understand! As I mentioned, wouldn't even be asking if existing plans hadn't fallen through (and we had more than 3 weeks).
    Last edited by SigmaOK; 01-08-2022 at 06:19 PM.

To the wider forum:
    Has there been any concrete outcome in regards to whether this falls under operating a shooting range?. Please don’t derail the OP thread with opinions.

To the OP, this is possibly now the main hurdle to your proposal unless you can find a club down that way.

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...ges?nondesktop

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Perhaps contact Mayor of Raetehi. They like to boost their local economy and encourage visitors.
    Great idea, will make a call tomorrow. Thanks for the pointer.
    Last edited by SigmaOK; 01-08-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    To the wider forum:
    Has there been any concrete outcome in regards to whether this falls under operating a shooting range?. Please don’t derail the OP thread with opinions.

To the OP, this is possibly now the main hurdle to your proposal unless you can find a club down that way.

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...ges?nondesktop
    Thanks for the pointer, I am actually quite experienced with matters of legislation. I reviewed the relevant section of the act:
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/...LMS256768.html

It states that a "shooting club" is:
    shooting club means a voluntary association of people who—
    (a) act in accordance with a set of written rules; and
    (b) participate in, or intend to participate in, shooting activities on a regular basis

We don't and won't have written rules, this is strictly a friends shooting together thing. We don't even plan to score the activities, all shooting will be done under the immediate supervision of a license holder. We also don't intend for this to be on a regular basis.

We purely want to help mates decide if they want to go forward with getting a license, and what kind of shooting they might want to do. At that point they can go join the appropriate club.

Thanks for the advice though, if the Waimarino Gun Club was still operating it would certainly solve all problems.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Theres places on Trade Me that off the weekend away type thing in back country huts. Try asking one of those folk if they can tailor make something for you
    Good idea, I guess in posting here I was sort of hoping someone like that in the Ohakune area might ping me. Definitely will look around. I am actually quite experienced in running that kind of thing myself, and have lot's of mates in HB that do it semi-professionally, just no-one that knows Ohakune.

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaOK View Post
    Thanks for the pointer, I am actually quite experienced with matters of legislation. I reviewed the relevant section of the act:
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/...LMS256768.html

It states that a "shooting club" is:
    shooting club means a voluntary association of people who—
    (a) act in accordance with a set of written rules; and
    (b) participate in, or intend to participate in, shooting activities on a regular basis

We don't and won't have written rules, this is strictly a friends shooting together thing. We don't even plan to score the activities, all shooting will be done under the immediate supervision of a license holder. We also don't intend for this to be on a regular basis.

We purely want to help mates decide if they want to go forward with getting a license, and what kind of shooting they might want to do. At that point they can go join the appropriate club.

Thanks for the advice though, if the Waimarino Gun Club was still operating it would certainly solve all problems.

I think it’s section 38L that applies to your idea. I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected as to whether it is the intention of the legislation to cover such activities or if that is how it will be applied. However I am certain that if it is applicable to your plan, not being a shooting club, would not be a defence against charges levelled according to part (2) of 38L

Not trying to be a party pooper or anything. Just prefer you don’t come unstuck.

Banned
    "Shooting Range means a facility (whether indoor or outdoor), or a designated area of land, used by a shooting club or members of the public for the primary purpose of carrying out shooting activities;"

Definition of a range from the link, so does a 'one off' shooting sess in a paddock constitute a range ?

Wasn't this discussed previously, and the primary purpose of a paddock is farming? The shooting is both secondary to farming and temporary, which would exclude shooting being the primary use.
    N.b. not a lawyer.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Wasn't this discussed previously, and the primary purpose of a paddock is farming? The shooting is both secondary to farming and temporary, which would exclude shooting being the primary use.
    N.b. not a lawyer.
    This is not the interpretation that Police have taken. Police have interpreted the Act to say that if members of the public are primarily using the land for shooting (at the time they are shooting) then they see it as a range. Police have explained their interpretation of "temporary" in Section 10 of the currently draft NZ Police Range Manual (https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...anual-2022.pdf). As regulations for Clubs and Ranges have not come into force Police are not issuing Range Certificates at this time.

@SigmaOK - suggest you try the Taihape NZDA branch.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Thanks for clearing that one up @Gillie.

The wording is a little opaque but I always thought that the moment someone sets up a target and shoots it, it would be very hard for them to argue that they weren’t operating a shooting range, in the event that they were accused or charged with doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    This is not the interpretation that Police have taken. Police have interpreted the Act to say that if members of the public are primarily using the land for shooting (at the time they are shooting) then they see it as a range. Police have explained their interpretation of "temporary" in Section 10 of the currently draft NZ Police Range Manual (https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...anual-2022.pdf). As regulations for Clubs and Ranges have not come into force Police are not issuing Range Certificates at this time.

@SigmaOK - suggest you try the Taihape NZDA branch.
    Well then how about " if three of my mates come over to shoot in a paddock, but I have 12 cows in their grazing as well, we are outnumbered 3 to one that its being used principally for animal grazing"
    tetawa, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.