Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 9 Post By Tentman
  • 6 Post By Tentman
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Husky1600

Thread: Story Time - the rabbit holes we dig!

Story Time - the rabbit holes we dig!

Some time ago a cousin who is a professional hunter gave me 500 rounds or so of 6.8SPC ammo - a real mixture of factory stuff of every flavour, and reloads (all done professionally) for a handed in AR.

Why did I take it?? buggered if I know but never look a gift horse in the mouth, especially in these times of shortage. But decisions have CONSEQUENCES and I should have known that, dammit I've told my kids it often enough!!

The only rifle I could find in 6.8 SPC was a TC Contender "carbine", and since I'd wanted one forever, it was ordered and duly arrived. All very nice and new. Walnut and Blued steel - proper new like!

Trouble was it wouldn't go BANG, and after a bit of messing about it was obvious the hammer wasn't striking the firing pin. Contenders (and Encores, of which I've previously had a couple) can be a bit fussy but I'd never struck one with this fault - I was fairly confidant of a fix but wasn't keen to void the warranty of a rifle I hadn't even shot. After the local gunsmith confirmed the diagnosis Furley's said they'd take it back to fix it. Trouble was their so called gunsmith couldn't fix it either (for fucks sake, these are very simple mechanisms!). After a long hiatus they found another frame and decided they'd better test fire it before they returned it.

In the meantime a TC Contender 17HMR barrel came up on TM. Duly purchased at considerable expense (I hope it wasn't one of you guys on here who ran me up!). The guy selling it allowed that it was on behalf of a mate who had other Contender stuff. Now @akaroa1 and I had been talking a big talk on Contenders and made many plans (plans I hoped wouldn't come to fruition, due to their potential ruination of my now meager bank balance). But they did and the purchase of a further cache of Contender stuff was negotiated. It hasn't arrived yet but needless to say as well as the 17HMR and 6.8 SPC barrels I'd already committed to, now there is a 300BLK also in the picture. Luckily my lost AR was in 300BLK so I have a wee stash of ammo for it too.

So - on Friday, after a 6 week wait, my frame and barrel came back, complete with the 6 cases they'd test fired and nice note.

For all you "nay-sayers" who like to dis Southland weather, well I challenge anyone to try and tell me where in the whole world you might get two better windless, mild afternoons with good light, to test rifles at the range - yup - right here in Southland!

Saturday. I shot the 17HMR barrel, quickly got it on paper and with a loaned scope (thanks @nor-west , yes your Nikko Stirling is a cracker) it immediately started making nice small groups at 100M, three shots going mostly into 20mm, the odd group opening up to 30mm. Nice.

Time to change barrels, on with the 6.8 SPC and out with a fresh box of 110 HPBT Hornady "American Gunner". I was RO'ing and with a bunch of other guys present @Kiwi-Hunter son Tim and mate John, plus some others it was hard to keep the concentration on my own stuff up. Consequently at 100M it took quite a few rounds to find that the scope was way off the bore. But at least it was going BANG now. Eventually i got it zeroed and had time for just two 3 shot groups, one of 30mm and one of 40mm. Not too shabby for cheap factory ammo and a brand new rifle.

Sunday. Managed to escape to the range again, only one other bloke present. Weather and light conditions perfect! Shot some of the reloads, I think they are 110 gn hornady V-maxs. Anyhoo they were making very nice groups, all about 20-22mm. I tried the 110 Factory AG stuff, yup about 30mm groups, then some factory Hornady 120 gn SST's. The SST's were not its cup of tea, groups were around the 75mm mark. Oh well, at least the gifted ammo wasn't hundreds of that flavour!

Changed barrels to the 17HMR and tried a 10 shot group. Just under 40mm for the 10, with 7-8 going into 25mm, which is about as good as I've seen with the HMR ammo we can get.

Oh - and a photo - yup - coming right up.

Name:  20210704_224856[1].jpg
Views: 447
Size:  4.78 MB

Nice. How does it work with the hammer striking a rimfire cartridge? Is the hmr barrel offset or something?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

There is a "switch" on the hammer, flick it and its RF, safe CF
    Micky Duck and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

He tripped and fell down the same rabbit hole as me !

Funny thing is I was really hunting for a .22LR contender barrel or something else to stub and put a 22 barrel on
    And we ended up with 3 more decent barrels and a complete frame
    No closer to what I was looking for but a nice new barrel project to work through with my own 6.8SPC

This rabbit hole has many twists and turns
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings All,
    It's the rabbit holes that make faffing about with rifles so addictive. May this always be so.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Pengy likes this.

Great minds think alike, I've got a 17hmr and a 300BO too...
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Great minds think alike, I've got a 17hmr and a 300BO too...
    My Contender set is now .223, 6.8 SPC and 375 Winchester
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

good stuff...all is not lost that sst could be ok for bush work,you going to be so close 75mm wont matter.
    its an interesting wee cartridge..baby bro to the mighty .270 winchester so it just HAS to be good.

Yup - I count myself a member of the Cool Guys "270 club" now, I guess turning up to a shoot might be a wee bit like bringing a Mini to a Supercar meet but what the hell!!

The results from the treasure trove the 17 barrel unlocked arrived this arvo, and yipee, my barrel is a 30/221 (300 BLK in the modern parlance) and its a beauty, complete with what must be the earliest of Robbie Tiffens overbarrel supressors, I've not seen another one like it.

In the contender I reckon the 30 cal barrel is crying out to be reamed to 30-30 . . . fast twist 30-30 anybody ??
    Micky Duck likes this.

love the way you are thinking.....rimmed are just so much easier in break open.... but how about 307 instead????

307 is too big for a Contender, the 30-30 base diameter is max in cartridges' running at 42,000 psi and above - bolt thrust and all that . . .
    Micky Duck likes this.

very good...30/30 it is then...with pointy projectiles too....125grn speer TNT look out mr wallaby. 125 BT look out deerzies LOL.

Now if I could find a Contender and fit it with a 250 Barrel, that would smoke my tires! Last build I would ever need to do.
    nor-west likes this.