Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: suppressor strike

suppressor strike

hi , anyone know what causes this ? its just happened to me a second time , first time the supressor exploded and my ears are still ringing .supressors are screwed on tight . would like to know what im doing wrong as this is getting expensive.

How many shots between strikes?

Out of centre bore ?
    or you have fired quite a few rounds and the suppressor has worked loose ?

not a lot of shots , maybe 30 -40 ?

Gidday - if its happened on the same rifle it points to the threading not being right, some sort of mis-alignment. Off-centre bore, shoulder out of square, threading out of alignment with bore. I'd be taking the rifle to a competent machinist (who may be a gunsmith but not all gunsmiths are necessarily competent machinists) for a check-up.
    rugerman, mikee and xtightg like this.

How often was the suppressor checked for tightness during that 30 - 40 rounds being fired?...if suppressor not aligned with bore then i would have thought every shot would hit it.
    6x47 likes this.

One other option is mixed ammo, ive seen it happen on a 223, guy used 55 grain normally decided to try some 69 grain ones. Shot a group with the 55, then shifted to the 69, first shot takes the front off the supressor. Turnrd out the rifles twist was way too slow (1:12) to stableise the longer heavier bullet.
    tetawa, xtightg and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    One other option is mixed ammo, ive seen it happen on a 223, guy used 55 grain normally decided to try some 69 grain ones. Shot a group with the 55, then shifted to the 69, first shot takes the front off the supressor. Turnrd out the rifles twist was way too slow (1:12) to stableise the longer heavier bullet.
    Probably a Tikka?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    hi , anyone know what causes this ? its just happened to me a second time , first time the supressor exploded and my ears are still ringing .supressors are screwed on tight . would like to know what im doing wrong as this is getting expensive.
    Couple of questions, which rifle cartridge, which suppressor ?

Must be a serious baffle strike to explode the suppressor ?

not a lot of shots , maybe 30 -40 ?
    Lithium grease seems to vary.
    I've used one type for several years then changed to another and the suppressor would come soft after a dozen shots or so. Changed back the grease I use on the muzzle threads and between modules and now it stays solid.

DPT
    First port of call should be the company that fitted it and or the company that made/ supplied the suppressor, they should be able to advise you.

it was two different rifles and 2 different brand suppressors which is even more worrying .

Reminds me a bit of pulling splinters.

If you want genuine advice more detail is needed ie firearms, cal, twist rate, projectile type and weight, plus suppressor details. Gets rid of a lot of "guessing" what's happened.
    Bagheera likes this.

I dont know the twist rates. reloaded ammo, one was a 7mm rem mag threaded by a good gunsmith but second hand suppressor. recently a .222 brno which was set up by the previous owner. I have used it for a couple of years , but did just change bullets.Only changed bullet weight slightly though . only just noticed the wee nick in the supressor when putting it away ,so dont know where to go from here. the gun hasn't had any knocks or anything. Haven't been heavy bush hunting , so unlikely to have foreign matter in the suppressor .