Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By shooternz

Thread: is there any rifle sports that doesn't contain shotguns?

is there any rifle sports that doesn't contain shotguns?

So I got myself a rifle, now what do I do with it? I would have loved to do some kind of sports, but if I've understood it right the only common rifle sport in NZ is "multi-gun/3 gun shooting" which requires shotgun shooting?

For some reason I'm not interested in shotguns at all, I could probably learn to shoot them decently, but in order to enjoy a sport I think I should want to perfect all aspects of it.

Is there any sports where I can just practice with either just rifle or a rifle + handgun combo?

I was thinking medium or close distance ideally. It might be interesting to do some long distance rifle shooting but I have a feeling that's a bit boring.

Try the NZ Deerstalkers they shoot 3P matches with .22 Rim-fife and Centre fire rifles up to 200 metres, 200 metre prone and .2RF Silhouettes
    and Benchrest matches if you are close to Nelson, some branches have running Boar ranges,
    There are quite a few Service Rifle clubs around the country they have bolt action and semiautomatic classes,
    Long range is anything but boring it's bloody hard work and very competitive
    Bagheera, mikee and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GregGregGreg View Post
    I was thinking medium or close distance ideally. It might be interesting to do some long distance rifle shooting but I have a feeling that's a bit boring.
    Long range shooting in way of gongs or targets can get a bit dull, but the practical rifle shoots the likes of Gillie run are a heap of fun.
    Lots of them are more medium range (200m-600m ish) and rather than just shooting of a bipod, use a variety of shooting positions and barricades/obstacles to shoot off.

If you search Google for PRS shooting you will see it is big in the states, and will give you a rough idea of what the shoots are like here.
    If you add your location to your profile the folk here may be able to point you in the right direction for local clubs or shoots.

Actually very little target shooting in nz involves both rifle and shotgun. Most are either centerfire, rimfire, shotgun, air rifle, black powder or pistol alone. 3 gun shooting is a relatively small sport here.

What sort of rifle have you got ? - that will give us a clue where you should look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Actually very little target shooting in nz involves both rifle and shotgun. Most are either centerfire, rimfire, shotgun, air rifle, black powder or pistol alone. 3 gun shooting is a relatively small sport here.

What sort of rifle have you got ? - that will give us a clue where you should look.
    But are those "target shooting" actual sports? events that people compete in and such?

Quote Originally Posted by GregGregGreg View Post
    But are those "target shooting" actual sports? events that people compete in and such?
    sure are. what kinda rifle do you want to shoot with?
    Use enough gun

MaW
    Would have to agree that 3gun/multigun gives very few shoots compared to other competition around.

The only regular, i.e. week on week, rifle shooting I know that has a following is indoor smallbore and indoor sporting rifle. The smallbore is the olympic .22lr style and sporting rifle is .22lr with semi auto's shooting at silhouettes.

if you want to mix it up a bit then there are the gillice practical rifle events but there are only a couple/few a year but it is competition, winners/losers

Depends where you are as to what local clubs you may have that offer something else. Auckland shooting club has stuff 3 times a month that can be shot with a rifle, speed steel and IPSC mini rifle. Other clubs may have similar.

MaW
    PS, if you like rifle and you dont like shotgun then get yourself a Typhoon F12.. All of a sudden you are going to like shotgun games..