Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: tikka t3x 300wm cant get to group....

tikka t3x 300wm cant get to group....

So, I brought this rifle brand new 3 years ago from guncity.
    Factory tikka t3x sft
    Egw 20moa rail
    Factory muzzle brake
    Harris bipod
    Second hand bushnell dmr elite tactical ii
    Second hand tier one 34mm rings
    Hornady factory loads, winchester deer season, etc never grouped that well from the get go.
    Fast forward 6 months, I brought a dpt chassis
    Re torqued the action into the chassis to 65inch lb
    Had end re threaded to suit a suppressor.
    Factory loads didnt work great still

Placed into safe. 18 months later, purchased a mdt chassis as liked it more, additionally installed a terminator tt brake. Same torque settings and additionally started hand loading.
    Went out today, and shot a few load groups and seating depths.
    Still not grouping well and cant figure out why.
    Got home, removed rail, and scope and re torqued it all done, there was possibly 2x front lose screws on the rail but not lose enough to jump out at my face.

The chassis has it's own recoil lug so assuming I could cancel that out, have re torqued the rail and rings, so assuming I can cancel that out, and going out on a whim but assuming I can cancel out the brake, suppressor, or factory brake.

What else could.be causing a problem with this rifle? Do scopes tend to stuff out and not hold zero to this degree?

A typical group is somthing like, 6-8inch groups at 100m , I can get 1/2 - 3/4 groups at 100m with my 308 and 6.5 prc.

Please help!!!
    Last edited by Larskramer; 11-05-2020 at 10:14 PM.

6 - 8 inches! Have you tried another scope?
    7mmsaum likes this.

Nope, havent tried another scope yet... I guess that's the only way to confirm if it's the scope or not ?

Problem is I've never found a load to shoot through it nicely, so not sure where I should start while looking through another scope. Have lost all trust in this rig, anyone else got a similar setup with a load or factory round that's working ok?

In a group of 6, I'll get 2 within half an inch, then a random one 6 inch left, then 2 inch higher and left, then one another 3 inches closer to the group of two... like... its completly random and I'm wasting alot of rl26 powder

It seems you've changed alot of variables except for the scope - maybe somethings come loose inside the scope???
    I'd try one of your other scopes as the next step.
    takbok likes this.

Will give that ago next, have a burris xtr tactical 1-4 sitting there. Might chuck that on next. Should I just throw a group down of factory loads for testing ? Is it worth getting a rifle bench vice thing to help?

will scope track round 15 clicks in a circle and come back to home base?????
    chuck another scope on it....10 mins work to do...headache gone/doubt gone...failing that let me talk to your range buddie....

your last comment........and suggestion of a 1-4 power scope to test accuracy would SUGGEST you havent spent alot of time behind butt of big rifle....is this correct????
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    will scope track round 15 clicks in a circle and come back to home base?????
    chuck another scope on it....10 mins work to do...headache gone/doubt gone...failing that let me talk to your range buddie....
    It's not as easy as swapping a dif scope on, as I dont even have a factory load that this fires nicely? I have the spare Burris scope, but that's about it. Itll be good for doing a test I'm sure. But ammo wise.... no idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    your last comment........and suggestion of a 1-4 power scope to test accuracy would SUGGEST you havent spent alot of time behind butt of big rifle....is this correct????

I mean to test it against the burris. Have 7mmrm, 300wm, 6.5 prc, and 308. All shoot well bar the 300wm.

which sort of confirms what Im asking....
    how so not fires nicely??????
    it goes bang and exits muzzle...you should have some sort of consistancy from pretty much any load....consistantly good or consistantly shit...but consistant.

a 6" grouping load should stay at 6" IF everything is ok butthe load....another load at say 3" will stay at 3"

Ive had what you describe twice with same rifle...the 2nd time it was loose scope bases...the first time was when I first got it...and that was combination of hard recoil pad and HEAVY trigger causing something that starts with F and rhymes with grinch.....

you have two ways to test scope/rifle......swap scope onto another rifle to see if that rifle groups same as always OR put scope off other rifle on 300 and shoot it at range...you DONT NEED it zeroed,just on paper,so it can go back where it came from and need little tweaking to be rezeroed...if it shoots 6" group...well youve eliminated issue of scope being issue.
    dannyb likes this.

I see what your saying, but I'm getting a 6" group, with multiple loads, factory loads etc. As stated, I did remove the scope, and retorque the rail, it seemed to me as though therenwerena few lose ones... but cant confirm. They were definatly undertorqued according to egw specs. Have retorqued the rail, and the tier one scope rings. Will give that another group of 3 and see where they sit.
    If that doesnt works I'll take my spare scope down and swap it on just to see how it fires an additional group of 3.

I would just chuck the burris on and fire a group of your factory rounds....if its still 6-8 inches then you can rule out the scope

how does it group for your experienced shooting mentor/buddy is the other way to eliminate the YOU factor....keep at it and let us know how you get on....Im not saying you ARE suffering from dreaded complaint...but its a lot bigger cannon that your other rifles so you MAY be....

I'm not saying that I'm a good shooter, but like to think I'm ok with the recoil of the 300wm, enough to not flinch, and have additionally lightened the trigger right down also.