Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What caliber are you shooting F-Open with?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46

    What caliber are you shooting F-Open with?

    For those of you shooting long range F-Open, can you please indicate what caliber you use, and any advise you can offer a beginner that is keen to get into the sport?

    I like 6.5 Creedmoor, but looking at for example the Seddon Rifle Range rules, it states:

    “Ammunition that exceeds any one of the following performance are not authorised for use on Seddon Range:
    a. A maximum muzzle velocity (MV) of 1,000 m/s (3,280 f/s),
    b. A maximum muzzle energy (ME) of 4500 J (3,319 ft/lbs).”

    Some of the Creedmoor ammunition could be non-compliant, so how a big limit is it?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member Willus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle of nowhere, Centre of Everywhere
    Posts
    474
    Basically any high capacity 6.5mm or 7mm from my experience.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    janleroux likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Willus View Post
    Basically any high capacity 6.5mm or 7mm from my experience.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Thanks Willus. Do you have specific setup that you use? Can you share a bit more about your setup? (Rifle type, barrel length, stock, optics)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    51
    ive been using a 6mmBR for a number of years and have no intention of changing, ive felt undergunned on a couple of occasions but when it came to scores it didnt show. its a great all around caliber, not to bad on barrels and components and what i believe is very important is it behaves its self on the bags and is easy to shoot consistantly.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart165 View Post
    ive been using a 6mmBR for a number of years and have no intention of changing, ive felt undergunned on a couple of occasions but when it came to scores it didnt show. its a great all around caliber, not to bad on barrels and components and what i believe is very important is it behaves its self on the bags and is easy to shoot consistantly.
    Thanks Stuart. What barrel length are you using? I read that any heavy barrel longer than 24” is good enough.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    51
    i use a 28 inch lilja palma contour runnng a no turn neck. you would want something of similar length to get 2900fps out of it.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart165 View Post
    i use a 28 inch lilja palma contour runnng a no turn neck. you would want something of similar length to get 2900fps out of it.
    Thanks - very helpful info!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    For those of you shooting long range F-Open, can you please indicate what caliber you use, and any advise you can offer a beginner that is keen to get into the sport?

    I like 6.5 Creedmoor, but looking at for example the Seddon Rifle Range rules, it states:

    “Ammunition that exceeds any one of the following performance are not authorised for use on Seddon Range:
    a. A maximum muzzle velocity (MV) of 1,000 m/s (3,280 f/s),
    b. A maximum muzzle energy (ME) of 4500 J (3,319 ft/lbs).”

    Some of the Creedmoor ammunition could be non-compliant, so how a big limit is it?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6.5 creedmoor falls well inside those parameters man. Even with long barrels 140's are only going to be going high 2800's.

    Well short of your energy targets also
    6x47, Moa Hunter, ChrisW and 1 others like this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,249
    Even the 6.5 Prc seems it could work
    janleroux likes this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Carterton, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,160
    I like old stuff (including the missus) - 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 7-08, 7x57, et al.
    IF we ever get some heavy for calibre 6mm/243 bullets in NZ, I might look into this - once again 'old school' calibres.
    See - I even spell the way I was taught at school - 55 years ago.
    Don't laugh - I won the overall primary school spelling competition at age 10.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    6.5 creedmoor falls well inside those parameters man. Even with long barrels 140's are only going to be going high 2800's.

    Well short of your energy targets also
    Thanks Nick, from what I could see the most popular off-the-shelf ammunition was in the 140 range, but I was not sure if I was missing something after a discussion with a guy at then shooting range the other day.

    I do not want to invest in the wrong caliber.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Even the 6.5 Prc seems it could work
    You are right. Just did a bit if googling, and it seem PRC was developed for PRS shooting, and the PRS have an upper limit of 3200fps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    I like old stuff (including the missus) - 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 7-08, 7x57, et al.
    IF we ever get some heavy for calibre 6mm/243 bullets in NZ, I might look into this - once again 'old school' calibres.
    See - I even spell the way I was taught at school - 55 years ago.
    Don't laugh - I won the overall primary school spelling competition at age 10.
    Is it old stuff, or just well proven? I like the 7-08 option myself as well. Probably a topic on its own

    Mate, as if I would be able to pick up on wrong spelling...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WallyR likes this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    Thanks Nick, from what I could see the most popular off-the-shelf ammunition was in the 140 range, but I was not sure if I was missing something after a discussion with a guy at then shooting range the other day.

    I do not want to invest in the wrong caliber.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6.5 creedmore is essentially purpose designed as a target/precision cartridge. It would be an excellent choice

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    janleroux likes this.

  15. #15
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    6.5 x 47 Lapua was purpose designed as a target/precision cartridge. It would be an excellent choice

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Fixed it for you

    The 6.5x47 Lapua would be my choice in 6.5, in 6mm it would be the 6 Dasher

    The lack of recoil & barrel wear makes up for their ballistic disadvantage to the big sevens & thirties in all but the worst conditions

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What caliber?
    By Toby132 in forum Shooting
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-01-2019, 06:13 AM
  2. WTB: T3 in .204 Caliber
    By Happy in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM
  3. Just for fun! - New caliber???
    By PERRISCICABA in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 24-09-2016, 07:19 AM
  4. new caliber
    By lloydcj in forum Varminting and Small Game Hunting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 24-12-2013, 11:17 AM
  5. next caliber help
    By longrange308 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 25-10-2012, 10:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!