Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Whoever said shooting was expensive was wrong

  1. #1
    Member Keltic_Kiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    108

    Whoever said shooting was expensive was wrong

    So there I was, a few months ago (April), standing in Craftys with my shiny new FAL looking at the endless possibilities to purchase.

    After much discussion and visits to other shops, Dave finally sold me a Howa M1500 with scope, suppressor and hard case excellent value at $1200

    And thats when it started.

    Ammo, oh yes I will need some of that.

    OK if I am going to go hunting I need some gear to wear, none that I have now will suit the purpose, so I shared the loved, bought some clothing from HB Marine and H&F

    Then of course the boots, my work boats just didnt cut it so stumbled on Mountain Designs and got a pair of Mammuts on sale.

    Thermals, couple of t-shirts and a pack. Gaiters.

    The discovered after shooting at the range (thanks to Phoenix Pistol club for letting me shoot) that the gun was better than the scope so talked Dave Crafty into taking some more of my money and selling me a Bushnell XLT.

    I have stopped counting the cost, (bought a Redfield spotting scope yesterday) just look at what I need and then find the best value either local (preferred) or online.

    So no shooting isnt expensive, its downright exorbitant.

    But its worth it to feel the recoil and smell the cordite. Priceless.
    7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

    Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.

    "There's a reason you go to a zoo and you don't get eaten by Lions, they're in the cages. That's how that works."

  2. #2
    res
    res is offline
    Member res's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wellywood
    Posts
    3,199
    Price up Motorsport, I make noises about it every so often to keep my mrs happy with my shooting spending
    gadgetman and grunzter like this.
    Using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    3,866
    I went into the local store today to buy a .22 jag. Came out 50 bucks later with a bag full of cleaning shit and .22 ammo fml

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,805
    I bought a nice 38-55 on Weds to be offered nearly the same in 45-70 on Friday, I have to buy some dies for the 38-55, I'm still toying with the AYA double rifle. But I sold my Sharpes on Friday that helps and my Sniders nearly on the block as well, my licence is due for renewall in Feb, I'll need a new safe to comply and I need some more FFG and FFFG black powder! This really is like owning a 10 Acre block or a boat or a rally car or an expensive woman, and there's only one of those who's black hole would be worth a gander no wonder a guy can't retire!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  5. #5
    Member jim160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I bought a nice 38-55 on Weds to be offered nearly the same in 45-70 on Friday, I have to buy some dies for the 38-55, I'm still toying with the AYA double rifle. But I sold my Sharpes on Friday that helps and my Sniders nearly on the block as well, my licence is due for renewall in Feb, I'll need a new safe to comply and I need some more FFG and FFFG black powder! This really is like owning a 10 Acre block or a boat or a rally car or an expensive woman, and there's only one of those who's black hole would be worth a gander no wonder a guy can't retire!
    What was the 45/70 you were offered

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,805
    Greener large action with Stainless Barrel drilled compensator at end, needs some work but nice toy. I'll try it out next Sunday
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  7. #7
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,730
    When I was racing motorcycles seriously, a bad year would cost 40k, a good year 20. The wife couldn't care less what hunting costs now I have given away racing as my full time obsession

  8. #8
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltic_Kiwi View Post
    cordite
    Probably not

  9. #9
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Probably not
    When I was a little kid, the old man used to pull the fmj out of old 303 ex mil rounds (with vice grips and a bench vice!) jam exta bangsticks in there, and then push in bullets he got from his humting mate with a g clamp and a wood block shaped for the bullet, now he, liked the smell of cordite in the morning!

    He thought the whole point of hunting was to save a dollar on meat, so why spend money on gear, that negated the saving in his book. Don't think he would like my loading bench somehow, and not an once of cordite to be seen!

  10. #10
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,970
    KK the money spent on firearms, accessories , clothing packs, etc should be considered by wives as our considerate investment in their peaceful time for self. It has nothing to do with the fact that we have a hoot doing what we do!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  11. #11
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltic_Kiwi View Post
    So there I was, a few months ago (April), standing in Craftys with my shiny new FAL looking at the endless possibilities to purchase.

    After much discussion and visits to other shops, Dave finally sold me a Howa M1500 with scope, suppressor and hard case excellent value at $1200

    And thats when it started.

    Ammo, oh yes I will need some of that.

    OK if I am going to go hunting I need some gear to wear, none that I have now will suit the purpose, so I shared the loved, bought some clothing from HB Marine and H&F

    Then of course the boots, my work boats just didnt cut it so stumbled on Mountain Designs and got a pair of Mammuts on sale.

    Thermals, couple of t-shirts and a pack. Gaiters.

    The discovered after shooting at the range (thanks to Phoenix Pistol club for letting me shoot) that the gun was better than the scope so talked Dave Crafty into taking some more of my money and selling me a Bushnell XLT.

    I have stopped counting the cost, (bought a Redfield spotting scope yesterday) just look at what I need and then find the best value either local (preferred) or online.

    So no shooting isnt expensive, its downright exorbitant.

    But its worth it to feel the recoil and smell the cordite. Priceless.
    You have only just started spending money mate...now you will be needing the hunting wagon, you cant take the town car to the bush, for one thing it wont handle the off road and the woman at home will bitch about not having the car..."I might need it"...then there is the new hunting dog with kennel, food, rego, vet bills...and the ol' "you cant take the dog, I need it for security"...and you think to yourself "ah fuck! that was one of the points you used to bullshit her into allowing a dog in the first place"...so you think you may as well get her interested in hunting...biggest fucken mistake ever...new gun in a pussy calibre (.243 comes to mind), new hunting clothes that you cant even swap with as she will pick pink camo, new boots that will be way too small for you...the list goes on, so just don't go there...never take a woman hunting or fishing, if they enjoy it you will never get time to yourself.
    Then of course there are the heli trips to consider...expensive little fuckers they can be too. And of course there is the shares in the private hunting block to consider...this alone will bump the mortgage.
    Don't even consider range shooting...those bastards are fucken mad and made of money...you will be buying a new gun every week.
    And then there is the boat that you will need to buy...cause some days it's just too nice a day not to go fishing.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  12. #12
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You have only just started spending money mate...now you will be needing the hunting wagon, you cant take the town car to the bush, for one thing it wont handle the off road and the woman at home will bitch about not having the car..."I might need it"...then there is the new hunting dog with kennel, food, rego, vet bills...and the ol' "you cant take the dog, I need it for security"...and you think to yourself "ah fuck! that was one of the points you used to bullshit her into allowing a dog in the first place"...so you think you may as well get her interested in hunting...biggest fucken mistake ever...new gun in a pussy calibre (.243 comes to mind), new hunting clothes that you cant even swap with as she will pick pink camo, new boots that will be way too small for you...the list goes on, so just don't go there...never take a woman hunting or fishing, if they enjoy it you will never get time to yourself.
    Then of course there are the heli trips to consider...expensive little fuckers they can be too. And of course there is the shares in the private hunting block to consider...this alone will bump the mortgage.
    Don't even consider range shooting...those bastards are fucken mad and made of money...you will be buying a new gun every week.
    And then there is the boat that you will need to buy...cause some days it's just too nice a day not to go fishing.
    Now there is a man that has lived life and learned.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  13. #13
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    You have only just started spending money mate...now you will be needing the hunting wagon, you cant take the town car to the bush, for one thing it wont handle the off road and the woman at home will bitch about not having the car..."I might need it"...then there is the new hunting dog with kennel, food, rego, vet bills...and the ol' "you cant take the dog, I need it for security"...and you think to yourself "ah fuck! that was one of the points you used to bullshit her into allowing a dog in the first place"...so you think you may as well get her interested in hunting...biggest fucken mistake ever...new gun in a pussy calibre (.243 comes to mind), new hunting clothes that you cant even swap with as she will pick pink camo, new boots that will be way too small for you...the list goes on, so just don't go there...never take a woman hunting or fishing, if they enjoy it you will never get time to yourself.
    Then of course there are the heli trips to consider...expensive little fuckers they can be too. And of course there is the shares in the private hunting block to consider...this alone will bump the mortgage.
    Don't even consider range shooting...those bastards are fucken mad and made of money...you will be buying a new gun every week.
    And then there is the boat that you will need to buy...cause some days it's just too nice a day not to go fishing.
    Is that a page from the "man manual"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,805
    Spook I agree except shooting prone takes on a diff meaning when you take THE RIGHT female hunting!
    square1 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  15. #15
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Spook I agree except shooting prone takes on a diff meaning when you take THE RIGHT female hunting!
    I'll stick to teaching golf technique...my wandering hands wouldn't stand a chance with a bitch with a rifle.
    Maca49 likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Are guns as expensive as this website says in NZ?
    By american in forum Off topic
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 16-12-2013, 03:33 PM
  2. Why are CZ rifles so expensive in NZ
    By Philipo in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 10:49 PM
  3. What am I doing wrong
    By 1 DEER 1 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 08:15 AM
  4. cheap actions vs 'expensive'
    By ARdave in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15-02-2013, 02:16 PM
  5. Very expensive haircut today
    By Ryan in forum Off topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!