Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Wind , mirage the last Frontier

Wind , mirage the last Frontier

The subject of Wind and Mirage are not covered on this forum with any great note so a thread to do so would be helpful to "all" members .
    I am going to post info from around the web that I have found that is interesting and certainly may help everyone become better with their wind calls and understanding of what the hell is happening out front before you take your shot

I dont profess to be any whizz in this area but like many hold my own and take every bad shot as a lesson in judgement or the lack there of and every day there is wind and mirage as a great day where I will learn .

As not all on the forum are at the same level we should start from the bottom and work up with a goal of having online videos of the visible conditions one can see and understand once they are described to us .

The main focus points we could talk about are ;
    1/accessing wind strength and direction

2/Characteristics on foliage that give away signs of wind speed

3/Mirage and what to look for when accessing its direction and strength

4/Wind in Valleys ,hills , passes and the affects terrain has on the wind direction and strength in general and what to look for when accessing those obsticles

5/Multiple directions of wind and how to manage this shot

6/wind measurment devices

7/How to counter a missed shot

8/Spotting a moving bullet

I am sure as a collective we can post many examples from our experiences ,other sites , and even from youtube which has some great stuff on it .If I have left any areas out on this please do add to the list of wind related variables.
    As I am not flash at adding images and stuff I may do multiple post with different stuff in PDF format
    Last edited by el borracho; 26-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.

"Nearly" All that is in Norways LR CD which we have been giving out free since 2006
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

So you suggest Crazyman we stop this post right now ?Seriously Crazyman has everyone got this CD or is this site limited to 5-6 people who know it all and dont need any other input ?WTF

Name:  Screenshot2011-02-04at125206PM.jpg
Views: 7551
Size:  22.0 KBHere are some good youtube links to some good visual aids about our subject matter for those who "want to learn"

Ultimate Sniper Instructional - range estimation wind 2 - YouTube

Ultimate Sniper Instructional - range estimation wind - YouTube

Shooting Tip - Reading Mirage - YouTube

DAF
    The cd mentioned is a great resource full of useful information in an easy to understand format.
    I think the thread is a good idea, as I find there is always something worth learning
    Last edited by DAF; 26-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Yes DAF this type of post once done should be a sticky for all shooting forums as it is probably the most interesing and most difficult area to master in LR shooting.Regards names El Borracho is my name here Senior

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    So you suggest Crazyman we stop this post right now ?Seriously Crazyman has everyone got this CD or is this site limited to 5-6 people who know it all and dont need any other input ?WTF
    Hi Brian,

Did I say it should be stopped?

I said all the info you have asked for is on the CD, its not new and yes, there are hundreds of copys around NZ that people have asked for, from this site and F&H.

All CDs have been given out FREE since the orignal LR course and I still get requests even now. I sent a copy out a month ago along with other useful LR shooting info on another CD.

Your additude will limit the amount of people that are willing to free up info for any thread you start, imho.

Crazyman -if you dont like the thread I have started please refrain from posting -your statement right from the start was negative and said to me "weve already got it all so dont bother " I hit the nail bang on the head with what I said to you !This forum will grow and this info that I will post as will others will help others grow -unless you got a boys club and dont want others here other than your mates pull your head in and enjoy what is posted , maybe even contribute -by the way my name is El Borracho
    Last edited by el borracho; 26-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Here is a PDF from the fire service in the USA is well worth a look at -also added some basic diagrames for wind
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Brian, nice mountain bike you have on trademe.

Anyway, this is an open forum, I stated a fact and can back it up with a CD for you if you like. I'm not going to copy and paste it here as its about 170 pages long.

Anybody can google sites in the states and look at youtube but if this thread was to gain anything it should be of facts and members own input.

Lets start it off with a data base of real NZ info, facts, weather and stuff that is ralevent to NZ, not what you can google.

Once again -negative negative negative -shooting info works the same all over the world and to teach and show others how it works one is best to use known resources at hand -your view and my views on teaching are obviously vastly different -my offering will be from where ever I can take it as it "does not matter to me where I get it from" only that we can all use it and it is practicle and it works.If you want to use resources in NZ good luck to you but It will be a slow boat to china I imagine .
    haha your are a care taker so must be able to see who I am and as I said to Daff my name is El Borracho

whats the cd can i get a copie keen to have a look cheers terry

Not negative about the sport or helping people, just people with big ego's that .

We have been collecting LR shooting data including wind read etc for 6+ years, its here in NZ already so no need to row the boat to china.

As I said in my PM, happy enough to send you a copy

Caretaker
    Easy to make a copy, I can make copies if anyone wants them, just send a PM with name and address.

Its a great CD, and just like Greendogs Curry, it will teach you a lot about the negative effects of wind.
    Spanners likes this.

Guys its a great resource having a CD for sure and I myself will take one as Crazyman has kindly offered to send one .

Now as far as this post about wind and mirage go "BE INCLUDED IN IT AND OFFER ADVICE OR LEAVE IT ALONE" I am going to post stuff and I hope others do also so that any that are new shooters or old shooters that want to learn more can and that is starting from the basics .

At club meets sometimes I see hunters turn up that havent a clue but are to proud to say "I couldnt shoot my foot if I tried " -no problem lets inform you of the basics and get you on track .I have shot for a while and seriously wind and mirage kick my arse often !!!

The things in this post be it from you or I or from the net are of value and if they are of value lets use them .

There are areas I do not know about and some in the south Island that shoot high hill tops into low gullies may help me with advice .
    Crazyman be it know this is not about ego -I can go to the mirror for that
    Last edited by el borracho; 26-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.