Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Worth joining club to use range?

Worth joining club to use range?

Hey guys, I am new to shooting and was going to sight it in my rifles at the local range with a friend before heading out to do any hunting. Was wondering if you think it would be better to join the club here in Masterton to practice a bit more often? How often would you use a range? Thanks

Hi mate, yes if you are relatively new, it might pay. As members generally pay less for the range fees and the NZDA clubs also run a hunter training course.
    Which teaches bush, hunting and firearms handling skills.
    The more confident you are by practising the better. Do this by practising standing, sitting and lying down with the rifle, not just from the bench, as I've never had a bench and seat to use when shooting deer in the bush.
    steven likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I've just joined a range after only having my FL for 18 months and think it's well worth it... You'll get to meet more people who like you are into shooting and hunting etc and in my experience are generally very helpful to beginners. And as mentioned above you can spend more time behind your rifle to build confidence in your ability to shoot accurately, and get access to those hunts courses.. Not to mention it's fun being able to have somewhere safe to go and smash some targets
    Kiwi Greg, Maca49, steven and 1 others like this.

Thank guys, I have made some enquiries with the range and will also look at the local NZDA. Good idea to try different shooting positions and get away from the bench... you are right they don't have them in the bush

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    NZDA also includes :
    Benefits -

Being a member of NZDA will provide you access to programs and facilities that will help you enjoy the outdoors no matter what your experience. Membership to NZDA also provides $10,000,000 public liability insurance cover, including $1,000,000 cover for the Rural Fires Act. Whether you are interested in learning to hunt, meeting like minded hunters or polishing up on your target skills at our popular all weather outdoor range, NZDA Auckland branch has got something to offer.

Most definitely worth joining up to a range and get some practise in. You don't want to have any 'equipment' issues when you bring your rifle up on an animal. Get them sorted at the range first.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Quote Originally Posted by GMH72 View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to shooting and was going to sight it in my rifles at the local range with a friend before heading out to do any hunting. Was wondering if you think it would be better to join the club here in Masterton to practice a bit more often? How often would you use a range? Thanks
    Def worth the $$. Going to a club range will also introduce you to safety and why it's so important. If in doubt on anything - ask the RO - and when shooting just raise your hand and wait.

But because many people don't like being told what to do, you'll see some weird behaviour by alpha males

You'll also meet many like minded shooters, and you can pick up many tips and suggestions.

so ,
    , my only shooting at the moment is range based (pistols) ... but it also has a long range attached to it for rifles and shottys ... if you just joined to use the long range , then its not worth it at all , but with the pistols and stuff I am doing its the only way .. the range is covered , and I meet like minded people , the only thing I don't like (but happens when there is any club) is the politics ...and dissention among committee members , its ugly and detracts .
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Worth joining club to use range?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    the only thing I don't like (but happens when there is any club) is the politics ...and dissention among committee members , its ugly and detracts .
    But you only have to ignore that 1? Person (you know who I'm talking about ) and things are rosey.
    And flag anything to do with committes.. Did you go to the AGM on sat?

no , im still in chch ... I will avoid the committee side of things , but then also , you think maybe if I get into it , I can change some things ..... then you just think , ....ah fuk it
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    no , im still in chch ... I will avoid the committee side of things , but then also , you think maybe if I get into it , I can change some things ..... then you just think , ....ah fuk it
    Apathy!

I'm the same. I prefer the coal face and just get on with doing.
    stumpy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Oligarchy relies on apathy.

But yeah, sometimes you just want to shoot.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Just have renewall subs for the Mot Pistol club associate member arrive. $60 for the year, up from $50 and considering I use the range 4-5 times a year Im really wondering if its worth it. In the last couple of years it`s been closed for months due the Logging way out behind the range or fire danger so even though the facilities are reasonable I struggle to justify the cost. Even though its remote you can`t use it at night so no use for me to sight in the nightscopes.
    What are others paying for associate membership??

I wil be paying about the same for the Cable Bay Pistol Club as an associate member. Also joined the Local Deerstalkers as they have a great range facility bit also have another range I can use real cheap. If you have cool toys the land owner can play with (opps I mean try) I know another place, and most likely you could use it at night too.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

YES , and its already been mentioned , you can be come a associate member of say a Pistol club , even thou you donot have pistols etc , fees are usually 1/2 the std , and well worth it in most cases ,