Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Would it be a bad idea to go hunting with my SKS this weekend?

Would it be a bad idea to go hunting with my SKS this weekend?

I had been planning for weeks to go for a hunt this weekend with my SKS but recent events have thrown that up in the fucking air. Seems like the SKS is still in a grey area right now but it seems obvious they will be trying to ban it.

Should I just go for it or not?

the police issued video says its ok so i say go for it !

Is the hunting the most important part or using the SKS? Do you have a bolt gun that you could use instead?

It's unfortunate that one right wing fucktard has created the situation where this is even a question, but that's life.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the potential drama that hunting with a 'scary looking' gun could bring, but you may be different.

I have a .303 but its not sighted in and I only have FMJ for it. Not ideal but I suppose I could rustle it together in time if I have to.

It's actually my girlfriend that strongly insists I hunt with semi autos because she had a run in with a wild hog as a teenager, so now she is terrified I am going to get charged and gored by a hog while out hunting. She insists I be able to spray down a pig if I get charged at.

I hunt alone and I'm a tiny framed wee girl so it's a valid enough concern I guess, I'm not really in a physical state to macho wrestle a pissed off mama pig.
    gadgetman, john m, Fawls and 3 others like this.

Highly doubt you're likely to encounter the forces of darkness fast-roping from unmarked helicopters just because you're wandering around the forest with an SKS...
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Highly doubt you're likely to encounter the forces of darkness fast-roping from unmarked helicopters just because you're wandering around the forest with an SKS...
    Just worried some trail hiker or bird watcher or some shit will see me and call the fuzz.

Let them, be a waste of time as you won't be doing anything wrong (yet). Use it while you still can.

northdude
    your one looks like one of those terrible assault rifles tho

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    your one looks like one of those terrible assault rifles tho
    haha, I've been told it looks classy.

But yeah I have been seriously thinking of snagging up a cheap wood stock off trademe just to try and blend it in better. Ughh man this situation sucks.
    sako75, Scout and Crispyman like this.

Just remember that most of the trail hiker/bird watching community wouldn't know what a semi looks like anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i actually don't see anything wrong with it as it is maybe see if a gunsmith could take off bayonet lug as that might be the only sticking point with the classification.hope it shoots better than my old hunting buddies one .he had the wooden 4 x 2 stock that was the worst stock I have ever held and accuracy wasn't great but he never tried different ammo or handloaded.
    as per the picture the bayonet lug is already off, whats left of it is just to hold the cleaning rod. the entire lug looks like a smiley face as the bayonet folds under the forestock

northdude
    Ok i thought it was another ine you put a pic up of yea id just take it anyone that asks obiously doesnt know the difference and if asked jusy say no its a bolt action see its got a bolt

ebf
    To answer you initial question : Yes

If you have access to a bolt rifle, do the rest of the firearms community a favor and try to keep things as low-key as possible at the moment.

All it would take is for one tramper/hiker etc to have a wobbly and call the press or the police, and we all get smeared again.

SKS's are a bit of a grey area, nobody really knows what will come out in the wash over the next few weeks or months...

Ultimately your call to make,...
    Tommy and 40mm like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

No, it's a great idea.

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    haha, I've been told it looks classy.

But yeah I have been seriously thinking of snagging up a cheap wood stock off trademe just to try and blend it in better. Ughh man this situation sucks.
    Why do you have moisturiser next to your computer?