Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Would you come along to...

Would you come along to...

Recently I have been approached with some potential opportunities to expand some of the field shooting events I have been involved in. Several ideas have been proposed and I wanted to see if there is any interest out there for them. These are some of the more popular ideas so far:

Medium Range Training Event
    1 or 2 days. Covering sighting in, chronographing, point blank range, drop data generation, data validation out to 600 yards or so, effective use of the scope recticle, and maybe wind if there is time. Having a scope that can dial is not a prerequisite. This event is basically to encourage people who want to get the most out of the rifle they have or maybe they want to try longer distance shooting. This will just give people a little bit of guidance to shooting at longer distances.

Hunters Biathlon – Sprint Event
    Basically think of this like a jungle lane event if you have been to one before. Probably have more appeal to those people who shoot Service Rifle Competition. I could easily run one using just about all steel targets but the minimum target distance would be about 100 yards. I could also run one using plywood targets at much shorter distances. I also have the setup to run a rim fire event of this nature.

Medium Range Walking Steel Shoot
    Steel target shoot out to say 600m. Basically run under the dame format I have used for the Rotorua Long Range event – so competitors supervise themselves. Course length would be no more than about 1km and there would be no score for time.

Orienteering Walking Steel Shoot
    Steel shoot at any distance but with a course about 5km in length. Make a full on day of it. Competitors may be required to do some simple cross country navigation. A looped course, stop station in the middle. The location could be set up for anything from a hunters course with targets out to say 300m all the way to a long range event with targets out to 1000m. I don’t think this would be a biathlon event as the difference in time would be huge between the fit guys and the not so fit guys.

Hunting Rifle Target Shooting
    Rim fire or center fire. Using pretty much full size animal printed targets. Static targets on flat known distance ranges. This would have the potential to be a postal competition… even and international postal shoot competition.

Of course I intend to continue to be involved in hunters field target shoots including the Ruahine NZDA Hunters Biathlon event that was run in May.

I am well aware most guys are hunters and have little interest in target shooting. As I see it these sort of shoots will improve shooting ability that will in turn improve your shooting while hunting. This thread is to try and generate some ideas and some interest. I know shoot location has a big impact on who turns up but if you had a shoot set up in your region would you go along?

Yes. All of those sound good to me, but the ''medium range walking steel shoot'' has the most appeal. It sounds like a game of golf, but with a rifle and not a club.

Location will determine attendance. I'd be happy to pay a fee to the organiser/landowner just the same as you would a green fee for golf. In a perfect world the events would be reciprocated in different areas, so the event doesn't become stale and the targets/wind etc don't become too predictable.

But in summary - YES!

kj
    distant stalker likes this.

All of the above, work schedule permitting

Banned
    All of the above especially the orienteering one

Those sound awesome, the jungle lane one sounds excellent.

Would make a fantastic weekend away!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Yes if it was in my region and on a day I could attend.

Another postal shoot would be cool

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Dundee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Keen as mustard... (or as eager as a condiment can be?) Have kid due soon so won't be able to make it initially.
    EeeBees likes this.

Absolutely if it was in my neck of the woods. These events look like alot of fun.

Is it something you could approach a few of the local NZDA branches about assisting with? (I know you do this already in some areas) Would be great to see events like the above run in each region.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Yes

I would be keen for it if there was a waikato/B.O.P shoot for any of the ones mentioned but still in process of getting a new shooter so I would have to wait till after I get a new rifle.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Banned
    iteUser pays......compulsory pay for the event before the day.So oys taken care of and people won't pull put last minute.

Jungle Lane.

The Jungle Lane would be interesting to me. You have some very neat ideas. Would get target shooters into the feild and hunters shooting targets so both groups win!
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

I always struggle with the initial set up of a shoot. There is a reasonable amount of time goes into a shoot before anyone actually turns up. I would hate to go through all that to have bugger all people turn up on the day.

I really want to do an orienteering course but the potential for f*#k up is so high... i can just imagine someone gettting lost on the course... but also it requires a large amount of area to run and would take some serious time to set targets out. I'll ask the land owner and see what she thinks.

The medium range training weas suggested as a way of getting new shooters involved. Problem is it would require a high degree of commitment from attendee. 1 or 2 days is not very long and if they didn't turn up ready to go it would potentially be a big waste of time.

Hunting Rifle Target shooting i have some plans for and if it gets a following i am quite serious about international competition. I am already in contact with two overseas clubs who shoot a very similar style shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Is it something you could approach a few of the local NZDA branches about assisting with? (I know you do this already in some areas) Would be great to see events like the above run in each region.
    Yep that how i have the ones i run at the moment. I have approached a couple of other NZDA branches but didn't get much of a response... I agree would be great to have a few of these shoots round the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    iteUser pays......compulsory pay for the event before the day.So oys taken care of and people won't pull put last minute.
    Yep, user pays. No refunds. At least then if they choose not to turn up the shoot isn't left out of pocket. Would take some organising but yep can be done. I have resisted doing this so far... maybe i should start.
    BTW i should have mentioned the entry fee for the Ruahine Biathlon was way too low given the prizes on offer... i know the prizes were sponsored but still. My opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    The Jungle Lane would be interesting to me. You have some very neat ideas. Would get target shooters into the feild and hunters shooting targets so both groups win!
    Jungle lanes are awesome, heaps of fun even with a bolt action. Great practice. You need a few people to help out on the day though and they can be quite tricky to set up. I have done a couple of short ones before and competed in a couple of much longer ones. You have pretty much hit my aim on the head though regarding target shooters and hunters.

Yes.