Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 13 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Spoon
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Dicko

Thread: yay finally get to do a thread on shooting

northdude

yay finally get to do a thread on shooting

mrs northdude and i finally got to the farm today first weekend off since we got put on home d but she was still kind of on call we took her savage 16 708 t3 223 and savage 22 that i gave the action a bit of a de burr and tweaked the trigger and she thought it was a massive improvement on what it used to be t3 was ok still tryin to figure out what it likes and also needs more trigger time to shrink the groups 708 went well knocks her a bit so might try a lighter load or look at a tamer rifle she can target shoot with i can see a 6.5 grendel moving in i took my savage 16 223 a h&r handi 223 and the 6.5 06 the 06 didnt get shot but i watched some goats 430m away i got the h&r to shoot about as good as it will after a bit of experimenting tiny bit over 1.5" at 100 savage well thats going to need more experimenting wont group but i noticed the stock is touching the barrel on one side so ill sort that and try again so not the most succesfull day shooting but its what we would rather be doing good or bad
    Name:  20200509_135058 (1).jpg
Views: 386
Size:  5.50 MB
    Name:  20200509_135208.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  8.77 MB

northdude
    Just a question for those that have come across it which way have you found the poi moves to if the stock is touching mine was touching on the lh side and poi was off to the right

I think it normally goes TOWARDS where it touches....pretty easy to relieve barrel channel.
    northdude likes this.

7mm08 try something like a 120grn ballistic tip....far better to go light and slow it down a bit...Mrs will enjoy shooting it and the animals wont notice too much if she puts hole in right place.

northdude
    cool thanks i can do the relieving easy enough if i can get it to shoot well i might look into another stock or get something more what i want never really had much luck with 223 should of kept the 222

weird as I dont find .223 fussy at all.most any load below 60grns Ive tried is fine...the 64grn winch wasnt bad either,just not needed for what I do. I take it your using factory loads for it still???
    barrel channel on my wood stocks got round cource file treatment...now 3-4mm clearance ,no way are they ever touching.

northdude
    It's a 1-9 tried 69gr smk it didn't really like those at the moment I'm trying 60gr sp fb and 25gr 2206h fed primer

northdude
    Relieved the barrel so that's one less thing to worry about

69 smks n a 1:9 savage from experience were great at 100 m at 200 wouldn't get on paper. As the bullet slows the spin speed does as well and the bullets wobble. For its length the smk needs 1:8 at least.

Phew ran out of breath reading that, do they not make full stops in Auckland?
    Good to see someone getting out! I've got a Savage 223 1-9, barrel was touching the stock when I got it too, but easily fixed. Shoots 55gr factory ammo under an inch, maybe the bullets you're using are too heavy?
    northdude likes this.

northdude
    might have to try 55gr i tried some leftovers i had but they didnt go to well i guess some 55gr flat base of some kind is worth a try i was trying to find something that might work in my 1-9 and mrs 1-8

I've got a box of Sierra 65 SP BT's that will go fine in 1:10 or better, so your 1:9 and Tikka will rock with them. PM me your addy and I'll send a half a box for you to try.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

I’ve got a 1:8 tikka and the Sierra 69hpbt one hole. 2208 - 26 grains. Seated at mag length.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.