Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Zeroing Rifle

Zeroing Rifle

Hey Everyone,

Have bought my first rifle (Ruger American Rimfire .22LR), and have been suggested to "zero" the rifle. I have no idea what that means, a quick google search shows that I need to put some laser through the optics? Does anyone know how its done, can a gunsmith do it?

Thanks

P.S I have a Leupold VX-1 2-7x28 Rimfire Scope on it

Zeroing the rifle is adjusting the sights, open or scope, so that the rifle shoots to where you want it to. I suggest you sight it in for 50 metres for a .22, find a safe area that you can do that, put up a big cardboard box with a 40mm black dot in the centre of it, at 50 metres. Then fire 3 very careful and calculated shots, using a good rest, from a prone [lying down] position. Then check to see how far the centre of your 3 shot group is from your target centre. Adjust your sights accordingly, if you have a scope, take the turret covers off and it will be marked L-R, or U-D, and move it up or down, or left to right and repeat the whole exercise until all 3 shoots are in the centre of your target. Its very very easy, and a good way to become familiar with your rifle. Where are you based?
    veitnamcam and TheChosenOne like this.

Oh okay, so I don't need to put some laser down the barrel or optics? Am based in East Auckland.

No, no need for a laser or any fancy tools, just find a decent safe range and have some fun. Forgot to mention, if you 3 shot group is ie, low and left, then it needs to go up and right - move your scope adjustment up and right, just as it is labeled. Dont over think it, its very simple

I just read you're based in Auckland was going to mention if you are in Christchurch would be more then happy to help you zero your rifle.

Thanks for the offer

When you buy your scope or rifle & scope from a gun shop they will use a zeroing tool to get you in the ball park, you would still need to zero as explained above.
    TheChosenOne likes this.

zero'ing a rifle is fancy new words meaning "to sight the rifle in" as mentioned, it simply means pointing the scope in the same place as the bullet will go.

How to Properly Zero a Rifle in Five Steps - Guns & Ammo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUV40AetF5M

How to Sight the Scope of a Rifle in and Zero It: 6 Steps
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Oh okay, so I don't need to put some laser down the barrel or optics? Am based in East Auckland.
    There are devices that use a laser and you either insert in the end of the barrel or at the chamber/bullet end to supposedly accurately project a beam on to your target so that you can then adjust your scope accordingly. They are useless - don't be fooled into buying one by a gunshop jockey.

I usually bore sight to get on the target but for you I would suggest a BIG target real close, say 25yds, get sorted on that first, and then move to 50yds.

Nice scope BTY. I recently bought one the same and I am very impressed with it.

Surely you will have a few references on your firearms application that might be able to show you a few pointers.......

Check out your local deerstalkers and there will be a smallbore club in auckland??
    You will get plenty of advice on here, you've already got answers to most of your questions.
    veitnamcam likes this.

if your in east dorkland theres a club at howick
    Steve123 and TheChosenOne like this.

If you zero at 25 your point of impact ( where the bullet hits) will be very very close whether you use subs or standard 22's. A standard 22lr should have the same point of impact at 25m and 50 m.
    There's a rimfire club out your way, find out where they meet and go. You'll benefit from all the advice on offer
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    If you zero at 25 your point of impact ( where the bullet hits) will be very very close whether you use subs or standard 22's. A standard 22lr should have the same point of impact at 25m and 50 m.
    There's a rimfire club out your way, find out where they meet and go. You'll benefit from all the advice on offer
    This is a very good suggestion and works well.

Well done collecting a few pointers at this stage. Your gun and scope are good. Choose just one type of ammo and get set up wih that. Later maybe experiment. Subsonic is what .22RF does best so get a common standard ammo like winchestr subsonic not real cheap or special purpose. Indoor ranges dont like supersonic so go for sub to start wih.

Tim and talons links are helpful but refer centerfire not .22.

I suggest sightih subsonic at 25m to start. 50m is a long way to shoot with a .22. With.22 you need to be wihin 1 cm of aim target because rabbits and possums are small. Thats a 20mm group and well centered. Thats achievable for a new shooter at 20 - 30 m for a new shooter but often not at 50.

I always start at 5 or 10m wih a new gun/ scope to be sure the first shot hits paper. Dont need laser and i find boresighting only approximate myself. A couple of shots at 10m tells the story best. They need to be about 2cm low at that range to be close yo zero at 25m.

While sighting in, collect this info and write it somewhere:

1) width of gap between thick crosshairs at max power (7x )

2) test how far clicks move your shots at 25m. Its much less than you think. Try it out with 3 shot groups. 1 moa is 30mm at 100m = 7.5mm at 25m and usually thats 4 clicks on most scopes. So each click will be only 2 mm ! Try winding 10moa (40 click) up and see what happens. Wind back then left and right. A bit of familiarisation at the start will save lots of ammo later on. Dont adjust your sights while out hunting or practicing. Set it well once and leave it put. Check on range every now and then.

Hey my scopes does not click adjust, it slides?(not sure if that's the right word). The website says its friction adjust, hopefully someway to convert the units, ill try ask around when I go down to the range.

Thanks Again

Edit: Its kinda hard to tell how much I am moving in one movement.