Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Another Fudd for the Forum

Another Fudd for the Forum

Greetings All,
    I am another Government certified old codger living here in sunny Hawkes Bay, a bit too sunny for my liking lately. I got the hunting bug in 1963 when I walked into Makino Hut with my father and Uncle Hec. Uncle Hec was into hunting and was one of the crew from Napier Deerstalkers that built the hut. On the way out I spotted two sika, quite close but my uncle, who had the only rifle couldn't spot them due to the scrub. I never was much of a hunter but got quite interested in handloading, especially the technical side, which is now my main interest. I still get out for the odd hunt, mid week of course, and see the odd deer from time to time. Also did a bit of target shooting with the Deerstalkers although was not all that flash at that either.
    As far as the handloading side goes I am one of Mickey Ducks anal handloaders that delights in detail and works up light loads for some old soldiers (rifles that is). I am lucky enough to have a home range on our small block out to 200 metres so zeroing and chronographing can be done here when conditions suit rather than put up with what you get on range days. I joined the Forum a few months back out of interest and hope to learn from it. Perhaps I can pass on some of what I have learned over the years as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.

What Ho Grandpamac..from one old crinkley to another.

Nice to read that you have an interest in reloading for the "war relics" which many sneer at. As the "relics" dominate my collection, I look forward with interest to your contributions on reloading.

Thanks for the insightful introduction.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome. Enjoy
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thanks Kiwi Sapper,
    The interest in old soldiers, as I call them, has increased in step with advancing age. Most have some connection with an old friend that I have lost contact with or has left the planet. Probably the most interesting is my Martini Enfield which is marked with the NZ broad arrow and 98 so has probably been to South Africa. I got it years back in poor condition. The barrel was shot and the fore end had been cut back. It now has a .30 cal light target barrel and is chambered for .30-40 Krag. It also has a scope mounted on the barrel and high so you can still load it. It shoots well. All of the shoot able old soldiers get taken for a ritual walk in the hills from time to time including the Martini.
    Regards Grandpamac.

welcome......nothing wrong with being super cautious when dealing with something that could take your head off..... the old rifles are a lot of fun and a big hunk of history.

Welcome, and thanks for the intro.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    The interest in old soldiers, as I call them, has increased in step with advancing age. Most have some connection with an old friend that I have lost contact with or has left the planet.............
    Ah....... Each one being a most tangible bond with an old friend.When you handle them no doubt memories of their previous owner are recalled. I envy you as all have faceless owners without any memories i would like to recall.

.......... Probably the most interesting is my Martini Enfield which is marked with the NZ broad arrow and 98 so has probably been to South Africa. I got it years back in poor condition. The barrel was shot and the fore end had been cut back. It now has a .30 cal light target barrel and is chambered for .30-40 Krag. It also has a scope mounted on the barrel and high so you can still load it. It shoots well................................
    Ye gods. so many transformations, Zulu wars, Boer Wars (both of them?? and perhaps , being Krag, Peking 1900 and the Boxer Uprising? And now scoped......? Pity it can't talk............Perhaps just as well as she may never stop talking.

............. All of the shoot able old soldiers get taken for a ritual walk in the hills from time to time including the Martini. ........
    As they all should... Keep the memories of their previous owners alive for as long as you are alive.

Thanks to you all for the welcomes and likes,
    Also Kiwi Sapper thanks for your understanding on the memory of old friends. To paraphrase a quote I read somewhere regarding old friends: When we say their name, use their gear or remember them it is as though they live again if only for a moment.
    Regarding the Martini the barrel was given to me by someone who shot at Trentham and other ranges as a full bore shooter so maybe it was there. Also trawling through Cartridges of the World I found a .30 Flanged Nitro cartridge by Purdey. This was a near copy of the .30-40 Krag. Purdey offered the cartridge in their double rifles and also less expensive single shots on the Martini action for the staff. I seem to have accidentally made a rough copy of an English gamekeepers rifle. Bet his didn't have a scope though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

PHOTOS............. oh so easy to do on this forum......

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    PHOTOS............. oh so easy to do on this forum......
    For posts made on the site, Agreed, BUT can anyone attach an image to their outgoing private messages? I don't know if it is just a fault with my PC but although the attach an image icon is there, when selected the drop down screen only offers inserting a link, not attaching anything.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Name:  DSCF1033.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  2.38 MB
    I don't think I have got this right Micky Duck and Kiwi Sapper but will post anyway and see.
    Grandpamac.
    Well you learn something every day. Original rifle made in 1881, converted to .303 1896 and came to NZ 1898.

Attachment 130939 I don't think I have got this right Micky Duck and Kiwi Sapper but will post anyway and see. grandpamac. Well you learn something every day. Original rifle made in 1881, converted to .303 1896 and came to NZ 1898.

The picture is fine and the pile of winter firewood is impressive. :>)

As a result of the "shotgun wedding" of the licorice bag of all sorts of bits 'n bobs you started off with, she actually looks a sturdy.presentable workaday weapon. I'd find room for her in my cabinet.
    Puzzled by the brass ID plate in her butt 'tho. Only seen those in butts from SMLE Mk1 onwards. Heigh Ho, One thing I have learned to to never say, "It never happened" as you have just proven, that it did..............Unless you also grafted a SMLE butt onto her at some stage and have not mentioned it.

Great intro and plenty of knowledge to share , welcome

No Kiwi Sapper, the brass disc has been on the rifle since I got it in the late 1970's. It has what I believe is the original steel but plate with no trap as with the SMLE. Last year I bought a new camera which I am still coming to terms with. Once I have semi mastered it I'l do some better snaps and post them with some more info in the Firearms section. The barrel is a Sportco of a Parker Hale target rifle and shoots MoA or a little less. Its a bit heavy at 4.1 kg for general hunting but there is a place for every rifle.
    Regards Grandpamac