Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Another new member in Wellington...

Hi all, checking in from Wellington, been reading/lurking for a while but as i just got mentioned me in the 243 loads topic thought i'd better sign in.

Been meaning to get into hunting for a while now but other things have taken priority but figured that now i'm 45 its either now or never. Got around to applying for my FAL in May and it finally came through a few weeks back. Got a couple of mates that do some hunting so hoping to get out a least a few times a year.

My only real shooting has been military 5.56 and 7.62 weapons and just a couple of shots with a 223 and 243 so as far as experience goes, very limited.

Managed to score a PH Safari for a decent price with a VX1 scope so hoping to get out and do some testing this coming weekend and hoping it's a good buy. Once i'm happy with how its shooting i'm intending on getting a DPT suppressor (done a fair bit of reading on brands) as my hearing is bad enough as it is! ;-)

Cheers.

.elcaro.

Hi there,
    Welcome to the forum, a suppressor is a good idea but I reckon still wear ear muffs so you don't develop a flinch. Buy lots of ammo and shoot it as much as you can.What is the Safari chambered in?
    Cheers
    Bugbait.

Hi Bugbait,

It's .243 so should be nice and easy to shoot. I don't think i have a flinch as i've done a fair bit of 5.56/7.62 firing before (with just foam inserts as protection) but if i do it might show up this weekend when i put a few rounds through it! And i'm absolutely intending to wear hearing protection unless actually hunting even with a suppressor on.

Been reading up on reloading and going to have a quick look at the process this weekend with a mate, so hopefully if i decide to go down that route, getting plenty of shooting won't become too costly! ;-)

Cheers.

.elcaro.

Yeah reloading is a good option, you can get as geeky as you like with it, pretty straight forward. It is also good to achieve a accurate load in your particular rifle by doing a ladder test etc. Whilst i have not shot a .243 it seems that it is a nice flat shooting caliber with plenty of killing power.
    Enjoy your weekend shooting I know I will be shooting as much as I can.
    Cheers.

Hello and welcome. I am a new one here too. Hope to share and gain some experience in this awesome community

I thought I was ready my own profile!! 45, Wellington, ex Military, NATO 5.56 & 7.62 shooting , PH Sarari except mine was 308.

hi Elcaro

Another wellingtonian here just getting in to it too. Still waiting for my FAL to turn up. seems to be a good crowd down here, hopping to meet some of them.

Hi elcaro and dan (again). Just a plug for the local deer stalkers here. They have a brilliant range in Upper Hutt. Great place to meet others of the same ilk. My daughter and I scoped the range out one day (minus a rifle unfortunately, but that is another story) and met a wairarapa based member who let us loose on his nice Brno 22.. My daughter loved it, and we adults talked up a storm. A great day. For more info, go to New Zealand Deerstalkers' Association (Hutt Valley Branch) Inc. - Home. Cheers. Misha.

thanks misha, i have already joined up, just waiting for my FAL so i can get a key for the range at the next meeting

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome elcaro.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome aboard mate...
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt