Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By creaky_pack
  • 1 Post By imaca
  • 2 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By creaky_pack

Thread: Auckland hunters?

Auckland hunters?

Hi all, I'm Levi, Im 16 living in auckland but from the Hawkes Bay, and trying to get into hunting. Ive done a fair bit of tramping and deer-stalking but never gone actual hunting. So yeah, wondering if anyones got any tips on getting started or is keen to help me out. Cheers.
    sometimes1 likes this.

Welcome to the forum Levi. If you've done deer stalking you've done unarmed hunting ( if you didn't have a rifle with you). Are you planning on hunting with a rifle or a bow ?.

Hi Levi, welcome! Good on you for getting into it - hopefully start of a lifelong pursuit!!

I'm wrong end of the island unfortunately, but surprisingly, there's some bloody decent folk on here from Auckland!

I'm up in Auckland for work start of July, so I'll bring up my copy of Red Deer in NZ for you if you want to read that. Full of great info. I'm sure if you ask around there'll be someone who'll give you a few pointers.

Don't be afraid to ask anything at all. There's a 99% chance somewhere will be able to answer it.
    bunji likes this.

Levi, you might want to start with the AK branch of the NZ deerstalkers association https://deerstalkers.co.nz/
    They organise hunting trips for members and have a hunter training program.

Can't remember when they meet but their club rooms are in Target Rd (yes really!) in Point Chev
    Welcome to the forum
    creaky_pack likes this.

Welcome to the forum Levi! I second the suggestion by @imaca - get yourself along to the NZDA that's closest to you.

I'm old now, but when I was in a similar situation to you I went along to the Thames Valley Deerstalkers and joined up. My parents weren't particularly outdoors focussed but supported my desire to go hunting. The nice folks at Thames Valley were brilliant - happy to help someone who was obviously keen but lacked the mentorship of close relatives. I did one of the very first HUNTS courses there and it was brilliant!
    imaca and creaky_pack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Welcome to the forum Levi. If you've done deer stalking you've done unarmed hunting ( if you didn't have a rifle with you). Are you planning on hunting with a rifle or a bow ?.
    I've had a look at crossbows as they seem fairly easy to pick up and you don't need a gun license for them, at the same time though, rifle hunting would be a wee bit easier and maybe better to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    Hi Levi, welcome! Good on you for getting into it - hopefully start of a lifelong pursuit!!

I'm wrong end of the island unfortunately, but surprisingly, there's some bloody decent folk on here from Auckland!

I'm up in Auckland for work start of July, so I'll bring up my copy of Red Deer in NZ for you if you want to read that. Full of great info. I'm sure if you ask around there'll be someone who'll give you a few pointers.

Don't be afraid to ask anything at all. There's a 99% chance somewhere will be able to answer it.
    sounds great thanks

Welcome!
    When i first started, the hunts course and NZDA meetings helped a lot, and then once I knew the basics I started to learn solo bush stalking by trying and failing over and over. Advice on this forum made the learning process easier.
    Also the importance of laws and firearms safety also cannot be stressed enough.

Sounds like I need to hurry up and sign up for the NZDA haha
    imaca likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Levi
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms