Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ads
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 2 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By ads

Thread: Aussie moving to NZ

ads

Aussie moving to NZ

Hi all,

The wife and I are being made redundant in Oz and hoping to realise our dream of moving to the best country in the world, probably Otago or Canterbury areas. You guys really do have it good.

Got a few questions to ask regarding bringing my firearms/ammo with me and how easy it is? Feel free to direct me to a better section of the forum for this.

Job interviews start tomorrow and the house in Queenstown is ready to go if we end up there.

Cheers

Ads
    kiwi39 likes this.

Don't bother if we don't win tonight
    kiwi39 likes this.

Bringing firearms in is easy, takes a few days to get an import permit once you have a firearm licence, I would say the hardest part would be getting them out of Aussie and finding someone that will store and ship them for you once your permits and licence are granted.

Good move though, and may the best team win tonight!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

You will love Otago. Plenty of local hunting, few people, good roads, close to other good hunting areas (South Westland, Stewart Island, Fiordland). Queenstown is nice but a bit 'touristy' and house rentals are expensive. Any firearms you are allowed in Aussie will be no problem to get into NZ, just apply for an Import Permit in advance through Wellington (National Police HQ) online with a list of the firearms you are bringing. If you are coming into Queenstown please advise and I can store your firearms until you are sorted. I am in Cromwell (about 35 minutes away).
    Pengy and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ads View Post
    Got a few questions to ask regarding bringing my firearms/ammo with me and how easy it is?
    What type/calibre ?

Something exotic/personal, yeah probably worth the hassle. Something standard, well I suspect you've more important things to think about shifting house and country tbh. Applying for your FAL won't be too much of a hassle.

Canterbury - good. Queenstown, expensive. Check out Clyde, Wanaka or something out of town, waaay cheaper.

I did it in 96. Arrived in Queenstown after a few months. Great place, within easy range of several species, it is a top part of the world.

I landed at Christchurch airport with a couple of bags and a gun case, got issued a temporary licence and away I went.

Visitor's firearms licence and import permits | New Zealand Police

This page has information about visitor permits, permanent arrivals. Relevant contact details are there also.

The local deerstalkers branch will be worth checking out too. They were helpful when I first arrived, got invited out on plenty of trips.
    Last edited by Bremic; 29-03-2015 at 05:38 PM.

You've picked the right country and the right island to move to.

What type of work are you likely to be looking for? This could determine where you settle.

Welcome to the land of sensible gun laws

You picked your day to ask the forum a question! Welcome to NZ, enjoy this great country, and breed some cricketers for us!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ads
    Thanks for the replies and info.

My wife is a Safety Manager and I'm currently a Container Terminal Manager for a port. Where we go will sort of be dictated by where she gets a job and I'll follow. I'd happily work in an outdoor store or go back in logistics. My father in law has just bought a holiday house in QT and is allowing us to stay there rent free if she gets the job there (interview tomorrow). The other options are Christchurch, Timaru and Nelson so far where the jobs are for us. More work in our fields over there than over here.

I've got a Sako 85 in .308, Anschutz 1517HB in .22lr plus an old shotty and a couple more old .22's. Only really attached to one of the .22's as it was my first rifle when I was a kid. Other than that, don't really care if the other's come or go. So nothing fancy, but I would be selling to get something lower down the range than the Sako or Annie. Not that that worries me greatly.

We've spent a lot of time in QT as well as some in Nelson and Christchurch. Christchurch makes more sense as far as jobs go, but the holiday house in QT is a big plus.

Thanks gundoc for the generous offer - I may take you up on that if it goes this way.

Here's hoping for a close game today. Always good to see you guys taking it to the rest of the world.

Cheers

Ads
    Tommy likes this.

All the best Ads, looks like you are on your way......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt