Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dipping a toe in the water.

sturg4

Dipping a toe in the water.

Been watching for awhile. Actually I am not that computer literate. I have jobs that I do on it that I am competant enough at but outside these I am not too flash so have been figuring out what makes what work on this site.

Ex culler...meat hunter... trapper.. Pest Controller... Not that I have ever regarded our game animals as pests but I have shot a lot of them. I have thankfully though never lost the thrill of that first quick glimpse of a deer through the forest... or...the look of the country stretching out below as one travels along a trapline somewhere up on the bushedge on a frosty winters morning

Still hunting and Fishing with a passion and live now on the Coromandel.

Sako, sub Calibre's...black labs and Brownings.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Welcome aboard mate & always good to have another Browning shot gunner around

& don't worry about not being to flash on ya puta, as long as you can type a yarn or give good advice your'e be sweet
    falconhell likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

R93
    You need to change your preferences for rifle, dog and shotgun then you will be right
    Na, welcome Scribe a man of your experiences will fit in well.
    In time you will work out that I am only allowed on this forum because they have a special needs quota that has to be obeyed.

Wellcome Scribe ! I too only have one finger that i type with , Dont worry about 93 he got deported from South Westland to Aussie ,
    " And only because no one else wanted him" So there,s all types and you will fit in .

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
    Wellcome Scribe ! I too only have one finger that i type with , Dont worry about 93 he got deported from South Westland to Aussie ,
    " And only because no one else wanted him" So there,s all types and you will fit in .
    Coming from a man that physically witnessed the introduction of the moose to NZ that hurts Now get to work planning our trip, Ive got your zimmer frame in for repair but it should be ready before we go.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
    Improved the IQ of both countries
    R93 and Greyghost like this.

If the toe you are dipping in is growing on your left hand you will fit right in.If its growing out of your forehead you will be resticted to conversations with the greymouth crowd.
    Pointer likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

sturg4
    Thanks folks for the welcome.

I thought someone might ask about the Sako Sub Calibres. I have friends I hunt with who refer to my choice of weapons 222. 222mag. and 223 as the sub calibre's. Though with a great deal less laughter now than when they were first invited onto the team.

I brought my first sub calibre, a sako 222, brand new through the NZFS for $66. A new Everest sleeping bag was exactly the same price through the firm.

Brownings all gone now, last A4 stolen. I loved it and must get another even if only as a pheasant gun. Later browning auto was not reliable enough for the clay bird circuit. So I now use a Bereta Techyns for ducks and clays.

One thing I am not short off is yarns and advice, mostly good.

I sometimes think I just missed the arrival of the first moose myself when I am carrying out a deer and I come to a decent hill.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    If the toe you are dipping in is growing on your left hand you will fit right in.If its growing out of your forehead you will be resticted to conversations with the greymouth crowd.
    Meanwhile the Nelson crowd are still learning how to use sticks to dip for termites, and have a strange fondness for hanging tyres. Any coversation with them is just, limited.
    Last edited by R93; 01-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Meanwhile the Nelson crowd are still learning how to use sticks to dip for termites, and have a strange fondness for hanging tyres. Any coversation with them is just, limited.
    Its Marlborough today, can you tell me more about theses sticks?

sturg4
    Where from in Marlborough sneeze. Wife and I lived on a Yacht out in the Sounds for about 5 years. A Damned good population of pigs you've got down that way. Not bad deer population in parts either. Woke up one fine morning on a mooring in Maori Bay, there was a hell of a frost down on the flats and buggar me if there wernt a mob of deer all standing out on the cockle beds catching the first rays of sun that hit the valley. I guess from the mist, the water was walmer than the outside air temperature as well.

Sat there and just watched them from the cockpit with a coffee in hand. They were nice animals, good size. Hinds yearlings and Fawns.

We ran a few Pest Control courses out of Picton back then

R93

You are being all humble Sneeze, I bet you have one all carved and its your favorite. I can sense it with my thumb!

Scribe, have you ever caught snapper on the Picton side? Bay of many Coves?

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Where from in Marlborough sneeze. Wife and I lived on a Yacht out in the Sounds for about 5 years. A Damned good population of pigs you've got down that way. Not bad deer population in parts either. Woke up one fine morning on a mooring in Maori Bay, there was a hell of a frost down on the flats and buggar me if there wernt a mob of deer all standing out on the cockle beds catching the first rays of sun that hit the valley. I guess from the mist, the water was walmer than the outside air temperature as well.

Sat there and just watched them from the cockpit with a coffee in hand. They were nice animals, good size. Hinds yearlings and Fawns.

We ran a few Pest Control courses out of Picton back then
    About 20mins by fizz boat from where you saw the deer.Pigs have been a bit thin on the ground around this way latley which is a bit unusual.Still the odd deer showing up and still the odd poacher.

You are being all humble Sneeze, I bet you have one all carved and its your favorite. I can sense it with my thumb!

I had a thumb once but it got caught in the rope the tyre hangs from, the termites got it the end. sure could have used a stick.
    R93 likes this.

sturg4

Sad to say R93 though I tried to catch snapper many places in Pelorus and Queen Charlotte but I only ever caught two, both up near Jackson's in the Queen Charlotte. I had to become a blue cod man to my great disappointment.

I ever there was a greedy, easy to catch, without any class fish, its one of them.

I used to like to be on anchor or on a mooring early enough to enjoy a spot of evening fishing. A couple of hours till dark, this was my time of the day to enjoy.
    You cant enjoy catching blue cod though. You bait up and before the bait has even hit the bottom you have got a blue cod. Bait up again, the bait never hits the bottom again and I have got more fish than the wife and I can eat.

Total fishing time 5 minutes.

I must tell you a story, when we left the Sounds and sailed North up the East Coast to complete a Circumnavigation of the North Island, the first chance to have a go at the snapper came when we snuggled up out of the wind in a cove for the night for a bit of a rest. It was only a little bitty cove on Slipper Island off Tairua/Whangamata Coast. I had been telling the Wife all day how she had forgotten what fun it was to catch snapper and how good they were to eat. Well the anchor went down in this little cove followed shortly after by the baited line. It was down for only a few seconds when I could tell the bait was snatched and swallowed by a decent sized fish. I bawled at the Wife you better come up topsides and see this snapper that I am bringing up.

I swear though this bloody thing on my line must have been following us for days. It was the last thing I expected, it was a good sized blue cod maybe 5 pounds, almost black in colour coming up through the clear water to the boat, bless them and their glutton like ways.

I have only ever caught a handful of blue cod in my life in the North Island. It certainly was the last fish I expected to catch on the Coromandel.