Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kinal762
  • 2 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By tommygun

Thread: Dunedin Hunter (trying to)

Dunedin Hunter (trying to)

Hey everyone I'm based in Dunedin, lots of outdoor experience but very limited hunting experience so the plan is to try and change that! Looking for some tips on how to get started, currently have Parker and Hale .308 so just need some direction on where to go from there

Thanks!
    petronious_arbiter likes this.

SiB
    The blue mountains. It's ballot only but you've gotta give them a go.

You've checked out the DoC website re permit?

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kinal762 View Post
    Hey everyone I'm based in Dunedin, lots of outdoor experience but very limited hunting experience so the plan is to try and change that! Looking for some tips on how to get started, currently have Parker and Hale .308 so just need some direction on where to go from there

Thanks!
    1. Learn to shoot your rifle well before pointing it at an animal.
    2. A knife
    3. Amongst it
    Petros_mk and mikee like this.

Carey's Creek is another option, no ballot, you can just issue yourself a permit online. @Pixie Z and I went back there after his accident, how he made it from the bottom of the creek back up to the carpack with broken vertebrae is beyond me; I needed a breather halfway up (shows how unfit I am). Supposed to just be goats and pigs there, but naturally after hearing goats but not seeing any for 3 hours or so we got back to the car and driving out, not 200m from the carpark, had a couple of red deer run out of the block and across the road right in front of the car.
    Pixie Z likes this.

Hey,

I wish I was still in Dunedin I would take you out but I recently moved up North to warmer country. I think in your situation with no experience it can be quite difficult to know where to go from here. I would honestly look into the mentor program run by the deerstalkers or if you are in Uni try the OUSA link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OSSAHC/

I just think its detrimental for you to have some sort of guidance to know proper safety, hunting, and even just how to enjoy yourself and build confidence in the outdoors.

Now with all that said once you do get a mate to go out have managed to get a mentor, etc. You can maybe locally try the Mangatuas or do a weekend hunt at the Catlins. I think its worth a try in Herbert forest area also as it is some big thick country and holds good animal numbers. Also don't be biased to using the spot x book as it really points you in the right general direction and believe it or not every single one of the spots mentioned is someone on this forums spot they like to hunt.

Good luck man,

John

Yep, Blue Mountains is well worth a go. Even though it's balloted it's pretty easy to suss, just give the DOC office a call & there's usually blocks free, especially if you can get out for mid-week hunts.

Few pigs & the odd deer around Silver Peaks as well. & as @tommygun mentioned, Carey's Creek can be worth a look as well. I shot a decent number of goats in there over the last year.

But the DOC website is worth a look to check out the different blocks that are available too. & as @Stickbow mentioned, it'd be well worth goin along to a deerstalkers meeting. Good way to meet a few people.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

G'day