Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Hello from the 09

Hello from the 09

A quick hello to all.
    I'm based in Auckland's North Shore and have finally got my act together and working through the motions of obtaining a FAL. I understand this can be quite a wait. I did a lot of Air Rifle target shooting in my younger years and have always carried an interest in getting back into some form of shooting.
    My main interest is to get away form my office and spend some time in the outdoors with friends already very into hunting, and hopefully visit a range on a regular basis. Learning the ins and outs of accurate long distance shooting is up there on my bucket list (if anyone has information to a starting point for this / training / instruction I would appreciate the info). Is this even possible around Auckland?

I am a bit of a information sponge and have spent likely far to many hours researching what my first purchase will be (after security) and quite like the look of the Howa rifles as a place to start.

Looking forward to reading through these forums and learning more about what and who is around.

Cheers
    Tim

Welcome Tim. A ton of info on here. As for the Howa, if the gloves fit then wear it. Get it in to the shoulder and see how it handles. Happy shooting.
    mucko, Steve123 and TimK like this.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

G'day Tim.
    TimK likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    The Latte stains will clean off a T3 in 7mm08 much easier....
    TimK likes this.

Welcome Tim. Good name that
    Tommy likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Tim, have a look at North Akld Deerstalkers.
    Theres a few of us, on here, who belong.
    300CALMAN likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Hi Tim ! Welcome. Yeah +1 for North Akld Deerstalkers. The Hunts Hunter training course is worth doing.

Long range shooting is generally informal out at south head or down in the Waikato.

Many thanks for the warm welcome! Deerstalkers is top of my to-do list once I get my FAL sorted.

Hello all! After a BUSY end to 2015 I have finally got my A into G. Safe is installed and now going through the motions of the FAL.
    I am wondering if someone would kindly point me in the direction of someone to talk to about building an AR15 (something I have wanted to do for a LONG time - i'm guessing this is a common enquiry) being a bit of a tech/research geek I had now absorbed so much information I have no idea what is suitable for conditions here. I have looked up the Auckland service rifle club and plan to go and visit once the licence comes through.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Tim
    TimK likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

G'day Tim, If you getting a Howa get some Talley's one piece rings/bases for it. The package supplied ones aren't to good at handling the recoil. My M1500 308 will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 m.
    TimK likes this.

Finally off to do my FAL course/test tomorrow night - what a chore! Hopefully it doesn't take too long after it.... although i'm not hopeful.

Make sure your referees are easily contactable and available to the Arms Officer at a reasonable time (eg; they don't go away for weeks at a time).

Some rimfire target shooting will install the basics quite well, alas there's not a lot of options on the North Shore, but if you can handle the drive Manukau Sporting Rifle Club who shoot at the Howick indoor range is a good place to start. There's also some airfile shooting down outdoor on the Shore - check nzairgun.com - Index

The Howa, yup as others have suggested shoulder one 1st and make sure it fits. I love mine, 1500 in .223 from Reloaders

Thanks mate, yes im happy to drive, I assumed there wasn't much around the shore. Im undecided one what to buy, everytime I settle on something I change my mind. Will visit some stores once I get my FAL. I'm also very interested in getting into some pistol shooting. All in good time I guess.

No probs. I used to shoot at Howick a fair bit when I lived in Belmont but always got the worst of the traffic.

Pistol shooting, Warkworth club might be closer, but they're currently closed to new members as they're full, with 25 folks on the waiting list. Auckland Pistol Club out by Brookby shoot weekends, they have inductions for new shooters only twice a year now. There's also Waiuku but that's quite a drive for you.
    TimK likes this.