Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By luv2safari
  • 1 Post By Brian
  • 1 Post By luv2safari
  • 2 Post By kotuku

Thread: Hello to All You Upside-downers!

Hello to All You Upside-downers!

I joined to find out how you hunt, what you hunt, and what you hunt with.

Besides, my late father, WWII USA Navy veteran in the South Pacific, often said he loved drinking with the ANZACs. Friggin in the Riggin was his favorite song.

I live in the USA...northern Nevada...and our hunting is the same and completely different if you follow me.

We hunt high rugged mountains here that go to 9,000' or higher elevations. Things are pretty dry here, about 7" annual precipitation. My State has only mule deer, no white tails. We also have Very limited opportunities for bighorn sheep, mountain goat, elk, and pronghorn antelope.

Fortunately, most of Nevada is open public federal land, but the Canadian, Dutch, Australian, German, and English mining companies are chewing it up as fast as technology and big equipment can do it.

I look forward to learning about a country and place I've dreamed about most of my 68 years, so continue on and warm greetings.

L2S
    sako75, 199p, kiwijames and 2 others like this.

Hiya welcome to the forum. I don' think we've got anywhere as dry as 7 inches a year but we've got some wet bits with 300 inches pa.
    Plenty of public land here.
    mikee likes this.

Welcome Easiest way to see what we hunt is on this link
    What to hunt

G'day and welcome. check out joshjameskiwibushman on youtube for some cool NZ hunting videos

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome Nevada.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice looking Kudu you got there.
    Where did you you get it, what with and how long.
    What are Mule like to hunt? Are they like white tail?
    Oh sorry yes and welcome.

always enjoyed frigging in the rigging .... it was too bad I was on an all male ship
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Thanks everyone.

The kudu was taken in Chinoi Zimbabwe and was a 55"er, a very old guy with good ivory on the tips. He was very elusive, and it took several days to get a clear shot at him. I found that kudu are a lot like hunting our Rocky Mountain elk here in the US. I took him with a Valmet 412S BBF combo gun in 12ga over 9,3X74R with 286gr Norma Oryx ammo. That 9,3X74R rocks them well. I also took a good cape buffalo later that trip in Masailand Tanzania with the same gun and another with a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. NO...I'm not rich by any stretch. I maxed out credit cards to do the safaris and will be paying until they put me on the wrong side of the grass.

Mule deer are a generally harder hunt than white tails. Mulies live in more rugged areas of the mountain west. You probably hunt as rugged or more so mountains in NZ from what photos I've seen of your beautiful country. When I figure out how to post photos I'll get some up of my neck of the woods.
    Sideshow likes this.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

northdude
    welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    Thanks everyone.

The kudu was taken in Chinoi Zimbabwe and was a 55"er, a very old guy with good ivory on the tips. He was very elusive, and it took several days to get a clear shot at him. I found that kudu are a lot like hunting our Rocky Mountain elk here in the US. I took him with a Valmet 412S BBF combo gun in 12ga over 9,3X74R with 286gr Norma Oryx ammo. That 9,3X74R rocks them well. I also took a good cape buffalo later that trip in Masailand Tanzania with the same gun and another with a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. NO...I'm not rich by any stretch. I maxed out credit cards to do the safaris and will be paying until they put me on the wrong side of the grass.

Mule deer are a generally harder hunt than white tails. Mulies live in more rugged areas of the mountain west. You probably hunt as rugged or more so mountains in NZ from what photos I've seen of your beautiful country. When I figure out how to post photos I'll get some up of my neck of the woods.
    Thanks for the info

greetings oh wise and wonderful one,slayer of things big and bloody grumpy!!anyhow welcome on board -Im the resident lunatic.
    ya know if ya ever feel inclined sometime in the future to leap on the big tin budgieAKA Air new zealand Im pretty sure the buggers on this forum could show you around the land of the long white cloud!
    if ya come to christchurch who knows ,we might even rustle up a genuine kiwi earthquake for ya as a bonus issue. me im mainly a smallgame /wildfowl shooter -plenty of geese ,rabbits canada geese and pigeons on offer for a 12guage man.ducksa vasriety also on tap in our "duckshooting season"
    puku and luv2safari like this.