Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hauraki

Thread: Hello from Auckland

Hello from Auckland

I think this is overdue for me.

A migrant of 20 years, "life long" enthusiast of sci-fi, history, engineering, military, police force etc.

City dweller works in IT. Had only shot real firearms once before coming to NZ. I appreciate the "privilege" of firearm ownership but didn't take it for granted.

Got my A Cat licence only 9 years ago (before CSI closed down), family/work and health issues had tied me down since then. Bought my first AR some 2 years ago, an impluse buy, after my shoulder problem eased up. I then obtained endorsements but only had time for pistol shooting.

I haven't shot the AR once. I had fun taking it apart and study how parts work together. Tried to get into Auckland Service Rifle Association, and Waiku pistol club. But the time and location didn't work out for a 1 car family with kid in school and weekend classes.

Pistol clubs are great, they knocked a lot of sense and security habits into me. I would feel a lot more confident if I do take part in rifle competition shooting now.

My point is everyone is different, different background, different routines and goals. The one thing united the firearm license holders is probably "fit and proper". As long as one is fit proper he or she (or fill in the blanks) should be able to persue their dreams and live their lives within the law.

Here many people's concerns are that the law are being passed hastily without proper consultation. And that's a real dangerous presedence - any "minority group" could've been swallowed up in the name of "greater good".

Once the law passes I'd no doubt follow it just as I have followed it in the last 20 years. Even if I don't agree with (part of) it. I'd play their game and support a party that has principles and common senses to protect the rights of firearm license holders.

And I'm glad to have organisations like Pistol NZ, Colfo and NZDA that speak out for us. I think it's important in today's world we reach out for each other, seek help when needed, help other when able.

Ta.
    Ranger 888 and XSNRGY like this.

Hi to you in the concrete jungle - not much use for an AR in Auckland me thinks but once again, if it interests you and you abide by the rules then what's the problem.

I am sad for you especially not even using yours and upset for us all who have to hand back our AR's - at least I got to blast away a few pest goats with mine and If I were more fit I may have taken a deer with it on that trip too.

Absolutely perfect for goat eradication and with its small calibre also good for bunnies, I could think of nothing worse than taking out a bolt action rifle to do this sort of shooting.