Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By mikee

Thread: Hello from Chch, new to the game

Hello from Chch, new to the game

Hey everyone,
    have only recently got my gun license, however have been hunting a couple of times with some friends.

Looking to purchase my first gun in the coming weeks so if anyone has any deals or suggestions I am open to comments! Will be predominantly deer hunting at the moment so looking at a 308 or 7mm08 but will be looking at smaller calibers for general shooting later on.

Have been browsing the forums recently and there are some good stuff on here so cheers for the insights!
    Cheers.

Go into gun city with someone who knows a bit & try a few different makes of rifles to see what "fits" you well, whatever you do don't let them talk you into anything, go away empty handed & think about it/get more advice etc before deciding

Once you have decided on what you want shop around for the best deal.
    veitnamcam, mikee and berg243 like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

SiB
    Keep watching on here. Once you’ve tried a few for size look at some of the quality s/h stuff offered on here occasionally. Bottom line is you never regret buying quality.

Buy good glass. Again s/h on here will always be better than some $300 add on ‘deal’ if you buy new from a dealer

My 5c worth

And budget for your safety. Think about other gear as well. PLBs are cheap now.
    Fireflite likes this.

I went in today actually. Had a feel of some tikkas, sakos and browning x/bolts. I actually went in to have a feel of the Winchester M70 Extreme weather but they don't sell them anymore and really bagged on them.. Theres one on trademe that seemed a good deal so was going to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyvv View Post
    I went in today actually. Had a feel of some tikkas, sakos and browning x/bolts. I actually went in to have a feel of the Winchester M70 Extreme weather but they don't sell them anymore and really bagged on them.. Theres one on trademe that seemed a good deal so was going to try it out.
    Guncity are good for looking at products etc due to their range but I would not listen to one word of "advice" that comes from the mouths of any of them fullstop.
    Actually, I tell a lie... i have eavesdropped on them giving advice several times too people who dont know any better and its almost entertaining...
    The M70 is an excellent rifle, it would be my choice if I was to look at a new rifle for $2k or under, in 270 of course
    mikee likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The M70 is an excellent rifle, it would be my choice if I was to look at a new rifle for $2k or under, in 270 of course
    Only be in 270 cause everyone knows they are shit and therefore are sold off cheaply cause no one wants one (usually brought by Waikato Drinkers but not always)

Go into gun city with someone who knows a bit & try a few different makes of rifles to see what "fits" you well, whatever you do don't let them talk you into anything, go away empty handed & think about it/get more advice etc before deciding

Once you have decided on what you want shop around for the best deal.
    That is damn good advice. Having helped a coupe of guys with H&F "packages" recently I also reckon you would be wise to look for good second hand. Last one I helped with was a Mossberg 243 with a scope so flash it had no name and was a pig to site in and was like looking thru a full bottle of Waikato Draught.

I know its all budget dependent but better to spend your coin on something that works well and will do what you want without you wishing you........................
    outdoorlad and outlander like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.