Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hello from Mid Canterbury

Hello from Mid Canterbury

Greetings all from myself here in Ashburton. Newbie hunter with small experience currently waiting for FAL to show up in mail. Got my first game last November, two Tahr out of Mesopotamia station. Looking forward to this seasons roar and buying my first hunting rifle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum. You will receive no end of advice on here.
    jord likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome to the forum, goodluck for the roar
    VIVA LA HOWA

Another young huntress
    Welcome.

Welcome.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Welcome aboard Heisenburg, you've found the right place!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Any of the main calibers will do. Welcome to the forum. You're in a good spot.

Yes Mid Canterbury is very close to many good hunting spots. Looking to buy my first rifle in the next couple of weeks, at the moment I'm looking at Ruger American 270. Have already bought my scope, Leupold Vx2 3-9x40 with the LR duplex reticle.

Can anyone suggest were the best place to buy good priced binoculars?

Have a search on here, must be a few binos threads.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburg View Post
    Yes Mid Canterbury is very close to many good hunting spots. Looking to buy my first rifle in the next couple of weeks, at the moment I'm looking at Ruger American 270. Have already bought my scope, Leupold Vx2 3-9x40 with the LR duplex reticle.

Can anyone suggest were the best place to buy good priced binoculars?

Welcome Heisenburg.

Rule 1: Don't ask for advice. Ever. It won't stop. But seriously here's my 5 cents worth.

Your scope seems a step up from the Ruger American - not sure what you budget is but I'd look at something a tier above- maybe a tikka or remington. Or go another step up and get a Browning X-Bolt. (i will be biased as crap because I own one in .270).

The Ruger Americans are not bad rifles but for good South Island Tahr hunting I'd want something as accurate as I could afford as the ranges will often be higher the bush/valley/gut hunting for Tahr.

in terms of calibre I love the .270 for all hunting - I can't fault it but .308 and 7mm08s are equally as popular down here. For longer stuff ie. Tahr on the tops get something that shoots nice and flat like a .270, .270wsm or something with similar trajectory. .308's are still good but I've outdone my hunting buddies many times over with the .270 over their .308s - it's up to the shooter.

300mags and big boomfuh calibres are great fun and perform superbly but consider the ammo cost.

As for Binos - again depends on price. Guncity, as much as I love to hate them, often have fairly well priced specials, otherwise check out shooters supplies in riccarton adn get him to get you some in if he doesn't have the ones you're after in stock. 10x40 should be your minimum IMHO.

As for Christchurch hunter friendly places I reckon Shooters Supplies in riccarton are the best to deal with being smaller and will beat any price Guncity or H&F have. Think you have a Hunting and Fishing down in Ashuburton but if you're in town prices can be better here.

That's my semi-filtered/semi-biased advice to you.

Your money and your call though.

Welcome to forum

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburg View Post
    Greetings all from myself here in Ashburton. Newbie hunter with small experience currently waiting for FAL to show up in mail. Got my first game last November, two Tahr out of Mesopotamia station. Looking forward to this seasons roar and buying my first hunting rifle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    Welcome

I'm fairly new on here myself. I'm looking at getting another rifle, my preference is .308, but everyone is different so find out what each is good for and choose what you think will suit your style, at the end of the day none of the calibers you're considering will make any difference to the animal at the other end if you're good enough to hit it!

I've currently got a Howa 1500, I really like it but it's probably about 1/2 kg heavier than a lot of the others. At the end of the day you'll never regret paying a $1,000 for a remington or $1,200 for a tikka, but you could very easily regret owning cheaper brands.

My own personal preference now that I've annoyed a lot of people in gun shops, taking into account price v quality, is the Remington 700, then the Tikka, followed by the Howa 1500, and the cheapies are way down the list. If I had the money I'd go up the scale. That's just my own personal opinion for what it's worth.

Cheers Michael

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    There is a 270 Browning Abolt with rings in the for sale section for a decent price, maybe have a look at that if your not dead set on new.

Oh and Welcome.
    jord likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well if you're a kiwi I think the quintessential rifle you'd have to consider would be a Tikka T3 Lite 7mm08 with a VX-2 3-9x40 or something like that!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Well if you're a kiwi I think the quintessential rifle you'd have to consider would be a Tikka T3 Lite 7mm08 with a VX-2 3-9x40 or something like that!
    I reckon there is a shitload of 308 owners that would dispute that. There must be something wrong with me as I don't own either.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I've been helping out a young fella whos 17 get into hunting, before I met him he'd bought a Browning A bolt in .270 and he hates it. Kicks like a mule and for all his load development cant get anything better than a 2" group. He swears my 300WM kicks less than it too.

Might be just his though