Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By 89scandi
  • 3 Post By Scottie
  • 3 Post By Scottie

Thread: Hi chaps

Hi chaps

Hi everyone,

I'm a late bloomer in the firearms space, in my 30's. I have used air rifles and crossbows since I was 16. Just moved to a property in the middle of 10 acres of original native bush. Currently using a Benjamin 800 fps .22 air rifle with Barracuda Hunter pellets for pest control.

I've just filled out my application form for a FAL - I hear there are delays on this, anyone have intel on how long they are taking currently?

Interested in pest control and wild meat.

Cheers, 89scandi
    Shearer, hamsav and 300CALMAN like this.

Welcome mate

Yeap you heard correct. Mine took just over a year from initial sign up to receiving it. I'm also a Police officer myself and there were no shortcuts (I tried to speed it up haha!) but no such luck. They're under the pump at the moment and well under staffed across the country with a focus on renewals, so I'd say expect to wait at least 12 months. But hey, the sooner you start it, the sooner you'll have it.

Cheers
    Scottie
    Bol Tackshin, Phil_H and XR500 like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome in mate.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

welcome, mate has now been waiting 14 months and counting for a new FAL.
    bloody ridiculous

Bloody hell. Ok, air rifle and bow for the foreseeable future then! I get they're busy, seems things could be organized better though.

At least we have the ability to have a half decent air gun. In the UK it's a max of 12 FPE... what are they hunting? Sparrows? 😅

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    yeah , seems a bit rich , the plods insisting on all the firearms bureaucracy and them dont have the man power to do it ........either that or they are deliberately dragging the chain. .....which I suspect . However my last mail order form was done in 3 days so I guess that aint bad . Is this new process actually law ? We used to rock up to the plod shop, hand over the form , flash your FAL and the non sworn person behind the counter signed it and Im off. Just seems like they have made it harder for everyone Id be pretty fucked off waiting a year or more for a FAL........its still a right isnt it ?
    12,000 Police so I doubt they are short staffed for want. Far more likely they are short staffed on purpose
    And not what younwant to hear hamsav, they specifically excluded it being a right to have a FAL (if you were deemed fit and proper). They have the words "it is a privilege" in there in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    12,000 Police so I doubt they are short staffed for want. Far more likely they are short staffed on purpose
    And not what younwant to hear hamsav, they specifically excluded it being a right to have a FAL (if you were deemed fit and proper). They have the words "it is a privilege" in there in black and white.
    Unfortunately for us, not only when labour pushed through the gun reform after the terror attacks, but also with COVID, it has slowed everything down in every aspect of society. It's also not as clear cut as "12,000 Police", licensing officers for the most part are non sworn staff and in that area, they are incredibly understaffed and are at the will of the labour government.

Most licensing officers are hunting/shooting enthusiasts as well and although most wont tell you due to work requirements, are and have been opposed to this new change from the inception as it was a knee jerk reaction. I can tell you as a front line officer, I have not seen a decline in firearms in the hands of criminals since the reform, infact the total opposite and I see it on a near daily basis including having been on the receiving end of a firearm in the hands of a gang member. However I can tell you that the vetting should be better as you would be surprised at the amount of people who have been revoked due to high level gang association previously not known about or the on selling of firearms to gangs (which is actually a massive issue.. If anything we need the register and to hold those account and not punish the good people for a bad egg.

I see both sides very clearly but unfortunately most will only see theirs and not take the time to see the whole picture.

My two cents anyhow but hey, opinions are like ass holes, everyone has them.
    Phil_H, truman and Andygr like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hi guys, so, an update. I filled out my application form for a FAL on the day of the first post in this thread - 18/10/21. I have just today received the shiny new license card in the post. Close enough to 18 months.

Congrats on getting it but shit 18 months is pathetic.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Ditto
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thats outrageous. A year and a half for a firearms licence!

What a joke.

FFS! Thats beyond a joke, it's absolutely pathetic. Police expect us to believe that they can administer licencing in a timely and efficient manner, hard to believe that.

new fees will fix that
    ‘Facts don’t care about your feelings’

I'd have to say, the guy that gave the in-person course was great. And the firearms vetter that came to see me and the wifey was awesome also. But shit, I'd literally almost forgotten that I'd applied by the time I got the call for the appt. Well, not forgotten but given up anyway. Just FYI, I'm a middle aged married guy, 3 kids, no criminal convictions or contacts, and a legitimate need for a gun... doesn't seem to matter who you are.