Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Nugget connaisseur

Thread: Hi Everyone,

Hi Everyone,

Got my real first taste of shooting when I jointed the Air Training Corps at the start of high school. First firearm I shot was a 303 at the old Okato rifle range just south of New Plymouth that is no longer operational. I still remember how much it kicked I must of been all of 40kg. ATC also did a couple of small bore shoots a year with the Lee-Enfield 22 trainers that the had but have since sold off and replaced with JW-15s. Got my FAL about 8 years ago and did a small amount of shooting. But the last 4 years been hunting quite heavily, then shot one of Simon Gillice's Field shoots and really enjoyed myself there. I have done 4 or 5 now including the 22 events' I think or a similar event is a must do for everyone, even just once. Through a friend I also got involved in Taranaki Long Range Shooters and have done all of the Gong shoots, learning a lot there but still plenty of room for improvement.

Being a "Townie" most of my hunts involve long walks in Doc land keeping the goat numbers down as much as possible. When I first started hunting I didn't even like touching something that was dead, even watching operations on tv was too much for me. Now I will usually take the legs and back-straps and sometimes even offal for my dogs if my pack isn't too heavy (mind you I still don't like watching operations). I really enjoy taking people out that haven't done any hunting before, most haven't even held a firearm. That experience they get from shooting for the first time, and shooting their first goats. Most of them are really keen to have a go at taking the legs off and trying the meat. Usually Ill curry it or mince it for burger patties. I now have a list that I have stopped adding names to that want to come out next time along with those that keep asking when can they come out again.

I read the forum fairly often so thought I should register and get involved in some of the discussions and get to know some more people.

Cheers,

Leigh
    Tahr, Pengy, Sideshow and 1 others like this.