Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hi there, new member

Hi there, new member

Hi all,
    new here, from wellington.
    Im just going through the process of getting my FAL, and have joined the forum to get info etc, as i am new to guns and shooting.
    I am familiar with forums and clubs, as i have been heavily into the american classic car/hotrod scene for last 13 years or so, but looking for something different.
    I have always had an interest in firearms and milataria, but have never owned a gun. I am thinking of doing service rifle shooting once i have my "A" FAL. I am not too interested in hunting, so i thought service rifle may be more me, as i like old stuff, and military stuff. I also enjoy plinking in my back yard with a air rifle i have.
    Is anyone here involved with the WSRA? are they a good bunch?
    Have read the website and it says an old .303 and a newer a cat semi like m14 or sks are a good starting point. Can anyone point me to good retailers that carry these types. Not wanting to spend heaps starting out, just want to see if i enjoy it.

Thanks in advance
    steven likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Snake.
    Snake likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome Snake . You have a few good gun shops in your area . If you would like the drive I think there are two at Carterton as well
    Snake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    Hi all,
    new here, from wellington.
    Im just going through the process of getting my FAL, and have joined the forum to get info etc, as i am new to guns and shooting.
    I am familiar with forums and clubs, as i have been heavily into the american classic car/hotrod scene for last 13 years or so, but looking for something different.
    I have always had an interest in firearms and milataria, but have never owned a gun. I am thinking of doing service rifle shooting once i have my "A" FAL. I am not too interested in hunting, so i thought service rifle may be more me, as i like old stuff, and military stuff. I also enjoy plinking in my back yard with a air rifle i have.
    Is anyone here involved with the WSRA? are they a good bunch?
    Have read the website and it says an old .303 and a newer a cat semi like m14 or sks are a good starting point. Can anyone point me to good retailers that carry these types. Not wanting to spend heaps starting out, just want to see if i enjoy it.

Thanks in advance
    Yeah like you I dont hunt either but I enjoy shooting.

The WSRA ppl are really great IMHO, Ive always felt welcome there.

Gun, well most ppl now seem to shoot an AR15, but they have categories and a day for each over the year. So "303" day, "carbine" day, "bolt action day", 'semi-auto" day, "American" day, "USSR" day...etc.

303s now are pretty worn out, so you are looking at $600+ for a reasonable no4 and a re-barrel is that and more. SKS isnt competitive nor a M14, if you have one OK, I wouldnt buy either one though for WSRA, you need light and fast IMHO. One of the better bolt action guns would be a good fully wooded 6.5mm Swede, about $600 and they are fairly light, flat shooting with low recoil.

No retailers carry 303s worth mentioning, (avoid guncity in wellington what they have are utter crap) its TM or a private sale, WSRA ppl could well sell you a decent gun.

Also there are 3 auctions throughout the year the next is April? ish but its hard to spot a good gun, most are utter rubbish.

If you have $2k then I'd suggest buying an AR15 straight off, they are huge fun.....

When your FAL is done and if a 303 is what you want and you spot one PM me and I can take a peak, I am also in Wellington.

Your best bet is a No4 mk2 as they are often in good condition but that will be around $800 to $2000 depending.
    Tommy and Snake like this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

If you want a "Russian" semi Barnaul are selling nice looking AKs (I think they are eligable for WSRA????) at a good price and they should be better than the chinese stuff which can be awful.

http://www.republicarms.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Yeah like you I dont hunt either but I enjoy shooting.

The WSRA ppl are really great IMHO, Ive always felt welcome there.

Gun, well most ppl now seem to shoot an AR15, but they have categories and a day for each over the year. So "303" day, "carbine" day, "bolt action day", 'semi-auto" day, "American" day, "USSR" day...etc.

303s now are pretty worn out, so you are looking at $600+ for a reasonable no4 and a re-barrel is that and more. SKS isnt competitive nor a M14, if you have one OK, I wouldnt buy either one though for WSRA, you need light and fast IMHO. One of the better bolt action guns would be a good fully wooded 6.5mm Swede, about $600 and they are fairly light, flat shooting with low recoil.

No retailers carry 303s worth mentioning, (avoid guncity in wellington what they have are utter crap) its TM or a private sale, WSRA ppl could well sell you a decent gun.

Also there are 3 auctions throughout the year the next is April? ish but its hard to spot a good gun, most are utter rubbish.

If you have $2k then I'd suggest buying an AR15 straight off, they are huge fun.....

When your FAL is done and if a 303 is what you want and you spot one PM me and I can take a peak, I am also in Wellington.

Your best bet is a No4 mk2 as they are often in good condition but that will be around $800 to $2000 depending.
    Solid advice.

+1 on the Swede. An M96 or M38 best bang for buck around. Before you sink a wedge of cash into something that may or not be for you, go have a play on someone else's (most people end up with a harem after a while) to see what suits you. There are many good people in the shooting community who would absolutely give you a whirl with one of theirs, given the chance, and talk your ear off about whywherewhenwhoandwhat

Be aware a centerfire is going to cost a lot more to shoot than a rimfire. Step one would be a bolt action .22 just to get some trigger time IMO. You can bang away happily for an entire afternoon for $40 to $50 with a .22, whereas with a centerfire that will get you 40 - 50 rounds, often a lot less depending on the calibre. Whatever you do, don't get sucked into spending heaps of coin tacticooling the shit out of an SKS from Guncity hahaha
    steven and Snake like this.

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome.
    I do intend on going along to a WSRA shoot when they next have one, i think they have one mid january.
    Ive been in petone gun shop a bit, he was the one who suggested service rifle after i explained what im about. He was pointing me towards a saiga semi on the shelf, but i am a fan of nice wood on guns, and maybe a more classic look. I love the look and heritage of the m1, that probly why i had the norinco m14 stuck on my mind, as to me they look similar.
    I will look into a swede or a enfield 4 mk 2, as i would love a war era bolt action. But i would also like it to shoot good.
    Would love an ar15, as they are custom, kinda like a hotrod i guess, but way wait to see if its me first, i dont mind being the shitest shot there for a while in the iron sights division, as long as im at the range and mixing with the people.
    steven likes this.

Welcome.

If you want to see another aspect of shooting the National Rifle Association of NZ (NRANZ) NZ National Rifle Championship and Associated Events are on at the Seddon Range at Trentham from Jan 8 - 16 2016. Come along and have a look.

There are clubs based at Trentham that shoot Saturday afternoons (generally I think) and they welcome visitors.
    Karori Rifle Club, Trentham Rifle Club and Petone Rifle Club. A web search will find their FB pages and their webpages.

Enjoy your new sport and farewell your money.
    Snake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    If you want a "Russian" semi Barnaul are selling nice looking AKs (I think they are eligable for WSRA????) at a good price and they should be better than the chinese stuff which can be awful.

REPUBLIC ARMS Ltd
    That saiga mkII looks good, better then the mk1 at petone, and im thinking these would have plenty of russian surplus ammo for cheaper then most?? Also made in same factory as ak47 a big plus over norinco aswell.

ive had this mauser in my T.M watchlist for a little while Swedish Mauser m/1938 Rifle | Trade Me
    looks nice, but probably be gone by the time i get FAL

but probably be gone by the time i get FAL
    It's not exactly priced to sell fast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Welcome.

If you want to see another aspect of shooting the National Rifle Association of NZ (NRANZ) NZ National Rifle Championship and Associated Events are on at the Seddon Range at Trentham from Jan 8 - 16 2016. Come along and have a look.

There are clubs based at Trentham that shoot Saturday afternoons (generally I think) and they welcome visitors.
    Karori Rifle Club, Trentham Rifle Club and Petone Rifle Club. A web search will find their FB pages and their webpages.

Cool thanks
    I will look them up

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It's not exactly priced to sell fast
    True.....
    ive no idea what a good price is, perfect sucker with cash in my wallet at the moment. But i rekon ill have a better idea by the time im ready to buy.
    Shoppn for my gun safe first, ive been told to get one that will hold more then what i think i will buy......

Hi Snake. Welcome! There is good info to be found on this forum. Strangely, now that I am (semi) retired from a lifetime of shooting and gunsmithing, I am indulging my passion for American V8's after starting out on side-valve Fords V8's and 'lucky dip' Chevs as a teenager. I just recently traded an '81 Z28 Camaro on a 2004 HSV GTO Le coupe, and have imported a '91 GMC stepside 350 as my fun machine. I shudder to think of the number of 1930's V8 coupes that we stripped out for grass-track racing in the '60's!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Welcome.

Yes I will be shooting on the 3rd Jan, 300yds I think, pattern1914...

Cyclops likes this.

Cool thanks
    I will look them up
    PM me if you want to come on the 3rd, it will cost you $50 to shoot our club 308w or just watch.
    Cyclops likes this.