Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By NzMavrick
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Rushy

Thread: Intro!

Intro!

Hi All,

Have been wanting to get into Pistol target shooting and perhaps other forms of target shooting (rifles, shotguns etc). I have a decent patch of land and was hoping to just use one of the paddocks to begin with, but I'm not sure of the legality around this..

Also would be keen on some advice on if it's worth buying second hand pistols, rifles etc off of people on this forum? Happy to do so, maybe I'll buy some new gear if I end up getting more serious about the hobby.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum Pete
    I'm sure people who have stuff to sell will be able to convince you of the pros of purchasing off them.
    As far as setting up your own range there is a thread around here about that recently.

found one of them
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-ranges-80475/
    Last edited by rugerman; 22-04-2022 at 07:19 PM.
    Ole.Pete likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome
    Ole.Pete likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gone but not forgotten
    I'm not a pistol shooter, but my understanding has always been pistols can only be used on a police approved pistol range and absolutely not allowed to be used anywhere else (except air pistols).

Hopefully someone who knows more than me can confirm or deny!
    Ole.Pete likes this.

Ole.Pete likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I'm not a pistol shooter, but my understanding has always been pistols can only be used on a police approved pistol range and absolutely not allowed to be used anywhere else (except air pistols).

Hopefully someone who knows more than me can confirm or deny!
    From the Arms Regulations 1992
    "Where an endorsement made under section 30 of the Act permits a person to have possession of a pistol in his or her capacity as a member of an incorporated pistol shooting club for the time being recognised by the Commissioner for the purposes of section 29 of the Act, that endorsement shall be subject to the following conditions:
    (a) a condition that that person may use the pistol only for target pistol shooting on a pistol range approved by the Commissioner for the purpose:
    (b) a condition that that person participate actively in the affairs of the pistol shooting club by taking part in its activities, on the pistol range used by that club, on at least 12 days in each year.
    Ole.Pete likes this.

Welcome. I've purchased a shotty and a rifle off two separate people in this forum and solid one rifle myself. So far it's been great, and plenty of good knowledge I. Here and some great stories to read
    Ole.Pete likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole.Pete View Post
    Hi All,

Have been wanting to get into Pistol target shooting and perhaps other forms of target shooting (rifles, shotguns etc). I have a decent patch of land and was hoping to just use one of the paddocks to begin with, but I'm not sure of the legality around this..

Also would be keen on some advice on if it's worth buying second hand pistols, rifles etc off of people on this forum? Happy to do so, maybe I'll buy some new gear if I end up getting more serious about the hobby.

Cheers.
    Hi Pete and welcome to the forum. I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can. Firstly, if the land you have is zoned rural then shooting will be an activity that can be conducted upon it. Essentially this will mean any A category firearm (i.e bolt action and semi automatic rim fire and centre fire rifles plus shotguns) can be used on that land. That said it is important to observe good safety practices, be considerate toward your neighbours and shoot where there is a good backstop so that any miss while not travel beyond the target area.

As to pistol shooting, this is a club based activity and there is a requirement to have a B category endorsed firearms license before you can own a pistol. The nearest club to you would be the Warkworth Pistol Club and the next nearest would be in Whangarei.

As to you question about purchasing firearms from forum members, you will find that buy and large we are a bunch of good buggers and the deals to be had here are better than at retail outlets or the likes of trade me.

Do you have a firearms license and if not, do you have any experience with firearms?
    Ole.Pete likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Hi Pete and welcome to the forum. I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can. Firstly, if the land you have is zoned rural then shooting will be an activity that can be conducted upon it. Essentially this will mean any A category firearm (i.e bolt action and semi automatic rim fire and centre fire rifles plus shotguns) can be used on that land. That said it is important to observe good safety practices, be considerate toward your neighbours and shoot where there is a good backstop so that any miss while not travel beyond the target area.

As to pistol shooting, this is a club based activity and there is a requirement to have a B category endorsed firearms license before you can own a pistol. The nearest club to you would be the Warkworth Pistol Club and the next nearest would be in Whangarei.

As to you question about purchasing firearms from forum members, you will find that buy and large we are a bunch of good buggers and the deals to be had here are better than at retail outlets or the likes of trade me.

Do you have a firearms license and if not, do you have any experience with firearms?
    Hi Rushy, thanks for all the information you've provided here. Really helpful. I have experience shooting small calibre rifles with friends during my younger years at their houses in rural areas. Just target shooting, never any hunting. We're talking around 15 years ago now so it's been a while.

The land I would want to use is zoned rural, and I would not be shooting towards any property and would make sure backstops are in place. I think someone posted a link to an at home range setup that I will check out for sure.

Seems like pistols are out unless I want to join a club. Thanks for the info there. Is there any kind of process to getting a category B firearms license. I have a standard firearms license currently.

Would be happy for anyone who has something they're looking to sell to get in touch with me so I can get the ball rolling. I will have a look at the buy/sell section also.

P.S Thanks to all the others who replied to my intro post.

Hi Rushy, thanks for all the information you've provided here. Really helpful. I have experience shooting small calibre rifles with friends during my younger years at their houses in rural areas. Just target shooting, never any hunting. We're talking around 15 years ago now so it's been a while.

The land I would want to use is zoned rural, and I would not be shooting towards any property and would make sure backstops are in place. I think someone posted a link to an at home range setup that I will check out for sure.

Seems like pistols are out unless I want to join a club. Thanks for the info there. Is there any kind of process to getting a category B firearms license. I have a standard firearms license currently.

Would be happy for anyone who has something they're looking to sell to get in touch with me so I can get the ball rolling. I will have a look at the buy/sell section also.

P.S Thanks to all the others who replied to my intro post.
    I cannot speak for the Warkworth club as Iam not a member there but I would expect their process for a new member wanting to get a B endorsement would be the same or similar to others in the Pistol New Zealand family of clubs.

It would go something like this after you have made contact with the club:
    1. You would be invited / hosted at a few club shoots during which time the club and in particular the club member assigned to look after you, would make an assessment as to you suitability as a member. Mostly during this phase they are looking at how well you listen to instruction and how well you adhere to safety procedures.
    2. If things go well then you will be invited to join the club as a member and begin a training period of twelve shoots within a six month period. Typically this would be across all of the disciplines that the club shoots (IPSC, CAS, Service, ISSF, Speed etc). To start with you would use rim fire and progress quickly onto centre fire when your safety practices are on mark.
    3. At the end of the twelve shoots you will sit an exam that when passed will give you a club range officer qualification and it is at this point that you (with the club’s backing can make application to the Police for the B endorsement.

Then the waiting begins ……. As the processing by Police is currently taking a bloody long time but while you are waiting you can have the club armourer (or such other B endorsed member that you trust), hold a pistol on your behalf that you can then use when you attend club meets.
    rugerman likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I cannot speak for the Warkworth club as Iam not a member there but I would expect their process for a new member wanting to get a B endorsement would be the same or similar to others in the Pistol New Zealand family of clubs.

It would go something like this after you have made contact with the club:
    1. You would be invited / hosted at a few club shoots during which time the club and in particular the club member assigned to look after you, would make an assessment as to you suitability as a member. Mostly during this phase they are looking at how well you listen to instruction and how well you adhere to safety procedures.
    2. If things go well then you will be invited to join the club as a member and begin a training period of twelve shoots within a six month period. Typically this would be across all of the disciplines that the club shoots (IPSC, CAS, Service, ISSF, Speed etc). To start with you would use rim fire and progress quickly onto centre fire when your safety practices are on mark.
    3. At the end of the twelve shoots you will sit an exam that when passed will give you a club range officer qualification and it is at this point that you (with the club’s backing can make application to the Police for the B endorsement.

Then the waiting begins ……. As the processing by Police is currently taking a bloody long time but while you are waiting you can have the club armourer (or such other B endorsed member that you trust), hold a pistol on your behalf that you can then use when you attend club meets.
    Cheers Rushy, seems like you're a wealth of knowledge around these parts. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Cheers Rushy, seems like you're a wealth of knowledge around these parts. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
    This fraternity of NZHS members shit loads of good buggers far more knowledgeable than me but very few with such a discerning taste for good beer (you will come to learn about this) nor the stunning good looks and modesty I possess. Ha ha ha ha
    Ole.Pete likes this.

Hi. if you are a fun of colt. 45, try avoid NORINCO. Shoot few times before, jam all the time.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.