Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By MACKLEY
  • 1 Post By matto1234
  • 4 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 2 Post By planenutz

Thread: Keen as a bean

Keen as a bean

Hi guys

Been reading these forums for a while now, some awesome info and helpful members on here. Think the mrs is getting sick of me reading these all night 

I am new to hunting and just keen to get out there as soon as I can. Waiting on my FAL to be processed is killing me but should be arriving soon.

I have been loving all the advice people have posted and am aware that I’m not going to learn a thing without getting out there amongst it instead of behind the screen in the warm lounge.

I might try and jack up going out with someone that is keen for me to tag along (hopefully). Keen to just head out (without firearm for now), not afraid of getting my hands dirty and helping with a carry out. Just wanna gain some experience.

Keep up the awesome posts guys – loving this site 

Mackley
    veitnamcam, Munsey and Gibo like this.

Get a map+compass and get out there mate, ive had my license for over a year and am still yet to get an animal but still getting out there and learning something new every time. It can take a lot of time so scout out some likely places while you wait
    Steve123 likes this.

A whole year and nothing. Jeepers hope it don't take that long I have a cousin that dairy farms out of Dannevirke, so hopefully get to do some private land stuff too.
    HURRICANES No. 1

Learning bush craft IS far more beneficial than owning the latest whizz bang thing from the shop, and learn to hunt on public land were most of us cut out teeth. When ya finally do shoot a deer on public land it's pretty hard to beat knowing that it can't be any fairer as in fair chase. Flick me a pm and I'm more than happy to point you in the right direction
    7mmsaum, BRADS, sometimes and 1 others like this.

Many decades ago I was in a similar position as you, Mackley and Matto1234. I'd had my license and a .22 since I was 17 but after hunting rabbits and goats for a few years I decided I wanted to ramp up and go for the big game. I think I'd read too many Rod and Rifle Magazines. I didn't come from a hunting family so I had nobody to gain the knowledge from.

I knew how to hunt. I knew where the deer lived (and it wasn't in suburbia, watching TV like me) and I figured I could probably work out how to recover one if I shot it, but I was smart enough to know there was going to be a LOT more too it than the books made out. After much deliberation I decided to hire a guide.

The guide arranged the food, transport and gear. He also chose the location... in the Urewera's. That weekend I saw 9 deer... more in two days than I've ever seen in the bush since. I shot my first red. I learned how to gut it quickly and efficiently. I learned how to carry it. I learned how to cut up the carcass and break it down. I learned some very practical bushcraft skills. And I soaked it all up like a sponge. It was hands down the best thing I could have done.

At the time I swallowed hard when I was quoted $360 for the trip but when I broke it down, it worked out to a pretty shit hourly rate for the ol' guide. We went in on Friday afternoon and came out on Sunday afternoon. He did all the work and I got a big education. In retrospect it was the best $360 I could have spent and I recommend you consider doing the same... look at it as an investment in your future hunting career.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the hunting. It's an honourable recreation.
    tiroatedson and keneff like this.