Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben Waimata
  • 1 Post By Rushy

Thread: kia ora from HB

kia ora from HB

Hi,

I made the mistake of posting on this forum without a formal introduction, so I hereby formally apologise to anyone offended. Don't expect any more apologies from me about this!

I'm a farmer in Hawkes Bay, I've planted about 300,000 trees in my time and now find myself increasingly in need of more firepower to control the critters I've inadvertently invited. I was very enthusiastic about shooting back in my teens but for some reason the passion waned over the next 30+ years. Shooting has been more part of the job than fun. However I seem to be recovering from my malaise and the old joy is returning. I might even join a club one day. Currently in possession of a small arsenal of near useless almost-antiques and a few functioning firearms, two .303s, a 10/22 and a Turkish semi-auto shotgun. I'm currently in process of obtaining E endorsement for pest control, and looking for an appropriate high capacity rifle for knocking down goats (and possibly deer) in plantation forestry and bush reserve. Suggestions welcomed.

I like the feel of this forum. My perception is it appears to have a large number of South Island members, is this correct? I always like Southerners, although after a stint at Otago University I don't envy you those winters....

As an aside my wife is an Australian and my in-laws have several thousand acres in Northern NSW. My father-in-law has what I wpuld consider a genuine need for a MSSA, he is losing a massive amount of money as his crops are ripped out every year by kangaroos and pigs. Under Aussie law he's allowed to use a bolt action .223, perfect for hitting one target a day and temporarily scaring the rest away. If he got his hands even on my 10/22 with the bx-15 mag he would be facing jail time. Our firearms laws are much more logical and I fully support the people I'm seeing here who are defending them.

Ben

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Plenty of us fellas from the Bay Ben. The South Islanders are just noisier. Welcome aboard.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Welcome Ben....welcome from the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Plenty of us fellas from the Bay Ben. The South Islanders are just noisier. Welcome aboard.
    Hi James, are you the James who used to come out here and kill all my hares at long range for me? If so, Mate I've had to do it myself these last few years!
    kiwijames likes this.

For Goat busting, may I suggest the AR15 with a suppressor,and a 20 shot mag or 2, assuming you're going for an E cat license.
    Have a nosey through NZAR15 for a general idea of what's around, and the likely price.

For bulk Ammo, Aoraki Ammo or Ammo Direct, assuming you're wanting a bulk buy to begin with, rather than reloading.

What distances are you typically shooting over?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Ben. Wait ..... There's a South Island? True? Max is correct about AR15 for goats.
    40mm likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Hi James, are you the James who used to come out here and kill all my hares at long range for me? If so, Mate I've had to do it myself these last few years!
    Yeah. Thats hard case. I was wondering if it’s the same Ben. Those trees of yours must be big now.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

GWH
    G'day Ben and welcome, it's a bloody good place to hang out with like minded fellas. I've learnt a truck load from blokes on here and also like helping newer guys too.

There's a few of us Bay blokes hanging around here.

Sing out if you need to bring in reinforcements to sort out the pesky vermin