Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 9 Post By Phil_H
  • 3 Post By Shearer

Thread: A lurker in your midst.

A lurker in your midst.

Hi,
    I am Phil and it is definitely time to introduce myself. I have been lurking around these forums for a couple of months now but haven't introduced myself as I have felt that I had nothing of any real substance to contribute. Not a lot has changed except I have now purchased a Garmin InReach Explorer+ and I felt that my experiences with it could serve useful to the forum, but more on that later in another thread.

About myself. Iím in my sixties fast approaching that age when I will be given a pension and a Gold Card but have no intention of retiring, not for some time yet.

Twenty-five years ago before heading off overseas for and extended time I sold a Ruger .22 and a Taurus .357 pistols along with a Ruger 10/22, Sporterized .303 and a Swedish 6.9mm Mauser rifles and then surrendered my firearms licence. I surrendered my licence as I did not see me needing it for some time, if ever, and it also tidied things up for the Police.

I have been back in New Zealand for some years now but never had the opportunity to be involved in any activity needing a firearm; until October last year. I have moved to the country in Mid Canterbury and live on a large tract of land which backs on to a forest. Pig and deer regularly come out of the forest on to the land Iím on. The bad news though is I donít have permission to shoot on the land.

Long story short. This has fired my enthusiasm to try my hand at hunting and I have since got a firearms licence again and have purchased a .308 Remington 783. I know, not the flashest of rifles out there in the bush but my dearest wife has imposed a budget on me until such time as meat starts appearing on the table. I suspect she thought this hunting lark might be an old man making a desperate grasp at rekindling his youth and didnít want to see thousands of dollars spent only for him to decide after one or two forays into the bush that maybe he wasnít cut out for hunting after all.

Anyway, whilst I havenít seen a deer yet I think that I starting to convince my wife that I am in it for the long haul as it has been her suggestion that I purchase a Garmin InReach; but thatís another story for later. I have stayed out of the bush during the roar, but with that now basically done and dusted I have been out half a dozen times. I have found tracks, wallows, bedding, piles of still steaming poo, been barked at by a hind just after dark and seen deer grazing on some broad leaf in a snow filled gully; couldnít actually get to these deer and didnít see them except where they were pulling down branches of broad leaf at the side of the gully, but that is another story yet again.

Currently I am working a piece of bush only 40 km from my door and have committed to myself to give it my all over winter and into summer. From all the above sign that I have mentioned, I know the deer are there but I havenít quite nailed the skill at getting to see them let alone get a shot at them. To that end I have a recently made friend, same age as me but lots of experience in the bush and many deer that have fallen to his 30-06. He has voluteered to come up with me in the next week or two and hopefully show me where I have been going wrong. We will keep the forum posted.

Anyway, thatís me. I have to add while lurking here I have gained a lot of knowledge and good advice and I thank all here for that.

Cheers
    Phil.
    veitnamcam, Pengy, Bernie and 6 others like this.

Hey Phil bout time, did you get my email I sent you at work ?

No. Haven't seen thee email and am now on leave for two weeks. I'll call you when I get back.

All good buddy flick me a message on here if easier, by the way you can login to this site at work....very handy

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum Phil.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Welcome aboard Phil

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Welcome and good luck

Gday Phil
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hi, and welcome

Welcome on board Phil, It sounds like you have a few tales to tell already.

welcome

Welcome @Phil_H. You and @Rushy will be able to compare gold card purchases.
    veitnamcam, Pengy and ROKTOY like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Welcome and good luck.
    Certainly sounds like you have them pinned down ,now work the wind into those hot sign spots.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

SiB
    Welcome. Good to see such a detailed ďthis is meĒ. Good on you

Welcome Phil, lots of good info to be had here. And no matter what you think, there will definitely be times when you'll have something great to contribute!