Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New - hi

New - hi

Hello peps.

Just sticking my head in to say hello. Just threw some old stuff in the Buy, Sell or Swap section including something free.

Yes, my "handle" is my interest to if anyone has played with the 6x45 (6mm/223) be interested in anything constructive.

Cheers.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Six
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    welcome in mate
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Welcome 270
    Fireflite likes this.

Welcome,
    I have a 6x45 in a Cooper model 51, and have done quite a bit of load development, easy wildcat to load for, and I am able to get a 80gr Serria boat tail, up to 3000 fps, in a 20" tube. 65 gr to 3180 fps.
    Proberley my second most accurate rifle, espically accurate with flat base bullets, 75 gr, Serria, being the best, Sako 6ppc is better, but not by much.
    The other forum, has a thread running, with lots of load data, in reloading section. Hodgdon also has load data.
    takbok likes this.

northdude
    hi

hi, whats the pros and cons of 6mm vs 5.56 ??

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Welcome aboard 6x45. Had one of these gizmos for awhile & love it. As Southernman said plenty of info out there.

Cheers all. Should be a good project.

H335 a good powder for up to 75gr in mine. Very dirty tho, typical ball powder stuff. I'm mucking around with CFE223 & 85gr HPBT at the moment, looks promising too. Good luck.

Hi Guys,
    Looking at getting a 6x45 (6mm/223) - looking for load data with easily available powders (I will need to get back into reloading) - looking for a powder that would do 80gr barnes TTSX, 85gr Partition and 95gr Speer Tipped Matchking projectiles and maybe 90gr Nosler E Tip Spitzer - to work out the best and most accurate hunting load - any data would be appreciated - initially looking at ADI AR2206H as a possibility but have been told Win 748 is good too ! - anyone able to help ?
    Will pm 6x45 and Southernman direct

Quote Originally Posted by DUCKHUNTER View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Looking at getting a 6x45 (6mm/223) - looking for load data with easily available powders (I will need to get back into reloading) - looking for a powder that would do 80gr barnes TTSX, 85gr Partition and 95gr Speer Tipped Matchking projectiles and maybe 90gr Nosler E Tip Spitzer - to work out the best and most accurate hunting load - any data would be appreciated - initially looking at ADI AR2206H as a possibility but have been told Win 748 is good too ! - anyone able to help ?
    Will pm 6x45 and Southernman direct
    You may not get enough speed to effectively use (expand) the copper bullets like Barnes unless at close range. 6x45 works well with the 6mm varmint style bullets usually used in hot 243's and the likes, they work like normal hunting bullets at the slower speeds you are likely to get. Yes W748 or Hodgson H335 are a good start and CFE223 is another worth looking at for the 85-100gr weight.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Hi 6x45, It's a good idea to build your 6x45 with a 8 twist barrel if you want to shokt some of the heavier/longer bullets. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the 80gr TTSX bullets - like Mathias I'm unsure if they will achieve high enough velocities for expansion at longer ranges. There is a guy '5spd' on some US forums that claims to have had good results at 300 plus yrds on deer shooting them at just over 2500 fps MV, so it's possible they'll work...

If you want a good bullet and don't mind paying extra, get I touch with the NZ importer and get some 62gr GS Custom copper bullets. I shoot them at about 3350fps from my 20.5" 6x45 with 25.5gr Reloder 7 and a magnum primer. Very effective on deer over here.

Sorry I meant 23.5gr Reloder 7!

Welcome aboard, as that cartridge has been around for nearly 60 years there should be a fair wodge of info around by now.