Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunter_killer
  • 1 Post By Timmay
  • 1 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: The new kid?

Wink The new kid?

Hey team,

Just a rough intro from me.

Real name is Carl and I'm 29

Born and bred in Northland. Not a lot of big game hunting up there though.

Have recently moved towards the central plateau, purchased a rife licence, and have taken up Sika/Red/Fellow hunting. Bloody awesome buzz, love the outdoors and have found a new appreciation for wildlife. My old man was just a gun-ho goat shooter back when I was younger, so I learnt the basics but not the fundamentals through this avenue.

Decided to join the defence force over a decade ago now, which has seen me grow a deeper understanding of weaponry and outdoor survival/equipment.

I have found a great group of guys around the central plateau that share a lot of experience and "top tips" with any keen bean newbie, so it has been a great experience that continues to grow.

I originally purchased a Tikka T3 7mm08 (highly rated mechanism) off good Ol' TradeMe, 1500 bux with a Gunworks spartan suppressor (average as it only has 2 baffles) and weaver 3-10x40 grand slam (no turrets - good point and shoot around 200m). At the time I was stoked! Chucked a Harris bipod on, and I was set (pew pew)...but after a while of hunting and an intro to gongs...something was amiss;

Recently, due to the local know how and massive experience base, I decided to take up a more serious approach to hunting, upgrading my T3 rig, so that I could punch more effectively over 300m. Admittedly, I never really liked taking a 300m shot because the weaver scope didn't give that 100% confidence. My upgraded T3 now sports the LSS chassis from MDT with a Sightron3 3.5-10x44 SFP (picked well over the Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST). This may seem like an overkill to some, but it is mostly because I would like to get into "hunter class" competition shooting. This platform offers me accuracy out to and past 500m (with a good load development) and the ruggedness to still go on the real hunt. This week actually marks my 1st week of stepping in this direction, so no doubt this will produce some interesting topics of conversation.

(Foot note: I know FFP is highly rated for this but I would prefer the SFP for hunting at this point in time).

Eventually, I hope to get into re-loading my own ammunition, rather than relying on other resources. This will come with time though.

I highly rate these forums, as over the last year or two, they have guided me as a visitor through the ins and outs of almost everything I have needed to know to date in regards to hunting and shooting. IMO, the public forum is the best go to for unbiased, strait shooting info (9 times out of 10)

I look forward to tuning into more top tips, zeroing my knowledge and sharing some yarns with you all.

See you on the flip side.

Carl
    Last edited by Hunter_killer; 10-09-2016 at 09:47 AM.
    petronious_arbiter likes this.

Good intro, welcome!
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Hello Carl

Welcome,reloading will certainly be something you won't regret getting into.The core components last a life time.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Carl
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome, there is plenty on this forum for everyone.