Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Newb after areas around chch or Cant.

Hi all. Short background .Have hunted in Australia for years in my youth moved to NZ and wish to get back into it with my teen son. Just in the process of firearms licence. Was a member of Sporting Shooters Asss. of Australia. Would like to start him off on bunnys, we are in chch and wondering if anyone in the area has a safe place to shoot or a intro to a land owner to approach. We will only using decent air rifles to start out while licence is processed. Any feedback or info would be great.

Kind Regards
    Justin

Welcome to the forum mate, might be a good idea to check out any shooting clubs down that way that may have a range that is available to make a start on the shooting bit and maybe go and do a bit of door knocking around farms in your area and ask about the possibility of doing a spot of shooting on their properties.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Welcome

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cheers mate. And thanks for the advise. Have always taught my kids safe firearms practice but I am by no means a veteran of hunting over here. I am from a old school time when you could not get on the net to find hunting locations but rather on a trail bike out in the scrub to set camp and hunt from there.

Another young huntress
    Welcome.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome dodge39. There are a number of forum members from Christchurch and I am sure that some of them will help you along on your journey with getting your son into hunting.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Join ChCh branch of NZDa. We have lots of trips incl winter bunnies.
    Club trips lead to contacts with stations and also joining others at their spots every so often.

You can also apply for DOC small game permit and get into some hares (during the day) in some locations.
    Bunnies locations close to Chch are hard to find, too many small lifestyle blocks, flat land and dairy farms. North and south door knock on properties bordering on hills and river beds. Bunnies love the cover of old woolsheds, macrocarpa hedges and riverbeds.

I take my boy out too, when he can be bothered to put down the ipod or not go out with his mates. I found getting the first contact hard as digging for gold but once I got one place, it was a lot easier to get reccomendations from there. If you're prepared to drive door knock up around the Ashley, Okuku, oxford, ashburton areas. Make up a small card with contact details and even if you get a refusal ask them to take the card and pass it on if they meet someone who has a few rabbits around.