Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By HarryCad
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis

Thread: Newbie

Hello everyone,

New to this website so thought I'd introduce myself. Originally from the UK I used to shoot heaps of pheasants, pigeons, and an abundance of waterfowl. Now I've been in NZ for a while I've only had the odd weekend of duck shooting. I bought a tikka 308 a couple of years ago and was able to shoot my first and only red and loved it but due to injury I had to sell my 308. Now I'm better I was looking at getting another rifle for long range target shooting and maybe go out the odd weekend to see if I could find some deer. Stuck between a .223 and a 6.5 creedmoor, .223 is just a lot cheaper ammo and 95% of the shooting I'll be doing is target shooting but I'm concerned about the knock down power of it. Of course I want to be competent with the rifle before I take it out on the hills so will spend a lot of time at the range before I go out. Came for advice from some of you gurus.

Cheers!
    Harry
    Woody and mimms2 like this.

Welcome along.

Join the local NZDA (meetings in Arrowtown last Thursday of the month at the bowling club) as they have a range (up to 50m to 1000m).

Heard rumours that there is the odd deer about these parts.... Can't comment on the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I've managed to knock over a few goats and a couple stags with the 223 with no complaints.

Welcome, Lots of deer have dropped to the 222 and 223 in NZ. Good shot placement and a little thought before pulling the trigger and they will work fine, You may have to pass up the odd shoot but that happens with all calibers.
    Or just split the difference and grab a 243, preferably one with a fast twist for the 105 & 108 gr bullets if you want to stretch the legs a little.
    Z.

ps 5x winner NRA long range champs with a 243
    https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...range-shooting
    mimms2 likes this.

Yeah I'll definitely join NZDA, good to get some knowledge from people a bit more experienced. Saw the range and it looks awsome.

Righto yeah 223 seems like the option just for the price of ammo aswell, I've been looking at howa mini actions, Remington 700s and Tikkas, do you have any experience on these? I'd be happy to shoot out to 500 - 600 yards.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Harry
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yeah Ive been looking at 243s aswell, I was going to look at a Remington chambered in 243 this weekend. How are they for accuracy and durability? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Bloody interesting article. Few mates shoot .243 as a main gun. Never had much of an opinion on it except that it works.
    Interesting the range of bullet jump he was using 35 - 60 thou. Loads to the same cartridge OAL for multiple rifles.

back to Harry's question, to be fair these 243's here are probably custom, ie most factory ones are only 1:9 while these target ones will be 1:8 or 1:7.5.
    I see a lot of Guy's pushing the 105/108 in the 31-3300 fps range but that got to be hot. (Mind you they have long tubes)
    Mine runs at just over 3000fps and a 24" tube still within load data max recommendations.

Only just picked up on Harry being Queenstown based, you luck man.
    Bet you will find a lot of the locals will want to get you into a 7mm Rem Mag. They do breed some large deer down there.
    Z