Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: newbie

Hi, i,m new to forum. looks interesting. I,m a black powder shooter, along with other types! And collector. Cheers

Black powder eh? Welcome aboard mate. Don't be shy about starting threads eh. I'd be keen to hear about your experience so far with BP rifles (i haven't used one since about 1992) They seemed plenty accurate and powerful. What shape projectiles work the best?

BP is my next venture ( well maybe another bow first)

I shoot cartridge rifles and muzzle loaders. Have a few! Favourite is .54 lyman roundball with 60 grns 2ff swiss. Put over 2000 shots through it nd still goin strong, best group offhand/ standing is 7 shots within 2 inches. But most accurate gun is a 45 minnie bullet in custom built target rifle, set triggers ect. Best score so far is 94/ 100. or 10 hits inside 4 inches. all shooting is offhand, no support, which aint easy. Have # rolling blocks in 50/70, 2 have period scopes, malcom. Other is open sights- military = small and shocking, basic but have won a few N.Z. titles with it. Full wood 32 inch. Plus browning highwall made in late 90s. 45/70 with creedmore sights. Is awesme. I shoot swiss in all of them. Have a 45 longrange rifle that dont use. Was made to shoot at world champs, and did ( not by me) 550 grn paper patch over app 95 grns ff swiss. Out to 1000 yrds. Would put up pics but cant seem to load any, even off phone!
    mimms2 likes this.

Wow. I am envious.

Recently bought a 2nd hand Pedersoli Kentucky rifle in 45 cal and starting the learning process.
    Shooting black powder certainly is fun.
    Now I am trying to choose between a 50 cal Pedersoli Hawken and a Sharps business rifle in 45-70.

But also have a Henry single shot 45-70 that I am keen to try lading some BP for.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
    There are always 3 sides to every story.
    Yours, mine and the truth.

Hey delta V, get both. Sharps is a great cartridge gun. Made for black with lead proj. Deep rifleing compared to ya Henry so allways be a better shooter , with bp. Kentucky are pretty good, a new Hawkins probably won't shoot much better. Mayby get the best sharps you can afford. Because black p hard to get you can use hogden 777. I've had great results with it and readily available. Better for hunting, more velocity !

Name:  16309927765715686600668944723484.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  3.21 MB

Name:  16309935871852634884371044248806.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  2.63 MB
    mimms2 and Delta Variant like this.

Finally loaded some pics, 45 Minnie rifle. 1 in 22 twist.suits a 300 grn soft lead proj. 45 grns swiss fff . Shoot event called "vetterli" 50 mtres offhand. Am slowly improving, on saying that a guy with a flintlock rndball beat me at n.z. nationals by 2 points. It comes down to individual!!

Name:  IMG_20210518_221002.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  2.55 MB huskvarna rolling block, 12.4x 44. Allmost Same as 50/70 govt. Extremely accurate for 1874 rifles.use 450 grn over 55 grns swiss fff, and some wadding nd card wads.have slow twist but shoot great! I use 50/70 cases and die set. Would be great for hunting, one for sale now on trademe.
    Delta Variant and Stavanger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by george44 View Post
    Hey delta V, get both. Sharps is a great cartridge gun. Made for black with lead proj. Deep rifleing compared to ya Henry so allways be a better shooter , with bp. Kentucky are pretty good, a new Hawkins probably won't shoot much better. Mayby get the best sharps you can afford. Because black p hard to get you can use hogden 777. I've had great results with it and readily available. Better for hunting, more velocity !
    Thanks. The Pedersoli Sharps on offer is a new "business" model. Apparently the same action and barrel but plainer than some of the cooler looking ones.
    What I would probably prefer is the Q Down under but with long range vernier sights and nicer stock or even a Shiloh Sharps if it could be sourced and imported.

I see these rifles as functional works of art and fortunately can afford whichever I really want but getting older is also a factor.

Given a choice, what would you look for?

Ciao.
    There are always 3 sides to every story.
    Yours, mine and the truth.

wow, that's a cool collection. Welcome

Hi again Delta V, busy day. Back to work after 3 weeks lockdown. Sharps, what to get, good question! About 20 model 74 to choose from. Buy the best you can afford, then you will never regret it!! Quigleys a pretty cool rifle. Magnum Imports , known as The Gunshop can import allmost anything now, through Baretta. Wayne Chapman 04 939 6184. Seem to get regular shipments.. I guess he,s taken over from Hayes and Associates, who now have finished. 45/70 seens to be best allround cartridge. do come in 45/90 , 45/110 and 45/120. Bigger case are abit more exclusive, if you know what I mean. I,ve found shotgun style butt more pleasant to shoot as opposed to cresent style. If you order one get the creedmore sights with rifle. They are heavier than business rifle but you can shoot off sticks or a rest. beautifull rifles now with history, go for it! I think theres a new shop in Invercargill that have sharps rifles now as well. Cheers George

Hi Mimms2, Yeah, stock looks pretty crazy. I bought rifle , as is. It may have had Shutzen style stock once, it came with palmrest that screws into forewood, has a series of holes. Mayby someone on forum may recognise it, with info. George

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms