Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Max Headroom
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 2 Post By Tentman

Thread: Not Another US Hunter

Not Another US Hunter

Hey guys, new to the forum and hoping to get some info on Queenstown hunting before my wife and I fly down for Easter. Sorry if it's poor form to jump right into asking questions.

I got an access permit for Moke Creek and have heard its full of goats but are there any fallow to speak of? Don't get me wrong goats would be plenty of fun, but I've only got 3.5 days before going after red deer in Matukituki. I'm not expecting big heads just don't want to burn myself out looking for a handful of hinds. Sounds like it's the beginning of the croak if they are in the area. Tips would be much appreciated.

Might seem like an empty gesture but I'd be happy to help if you ever find yourself hunting/spearfishing the East Coast in the States. More realistic offer: I have an open spot on the permit if somebody wants to join us April 9-10.

SiB
    Good on you. Welcome to the forum. Good luck w Moke. It’s 30years since I was there so won’t muddy the waters.

Stay safe and watch our rivers/creeks if you cross any streams

Welcome Rick.
    Cordite likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Anybody want to school me on local etiquette? It seems like DOC's recommendation is to cull everything on four legs. They could care less whether I leave it to rot with the 1080 kill or fly it out like the waro guys. Obviously I'm not going to do that, so what do Kiwis want foreign hunters to do?

I'm inclined to let young stags walk, pack out all meat and donate any extra (homekill butcher or one of y'all?), and stay tight lipped about how DIY-friendly your awesome country is. Any informal rules I should know of? Is it kosher for me to cull goats or should I only shoot what I can haul out? Don't shoot nanny chamois?

Just trying to be respectful, thanks guys.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome and do enjoy your time in the South at Easter. I am sure that some of the lower South members will be along soon to give you local advice but goats are considered to be a bloody pest in the North Island so my view is blast away and leave them where they fall. I had better add that I am a heathen though as to me the Tahr and Chamois are goats as well. Now watch me get crucified.
    Padawan likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Welcome and do enjoy your time in the South at Easter. I am sure that some of the lower South members will be along soon to give you local advice but goats are considered to be a bloody pest in the North Island so my view is blast away and leave them where they fall. I had better add that I am a heathen though as to me the Tahr and Chamois are goats as well. Now watch me get crucified.
    Yes you need to say 100 hail Mary's to purge that barbarian thinking
    outlander likes this.

Welcome and good luck with your hunt down south!
    If you have a look through here on the search engine you might turn up a few good tips etc.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleRick90 View Post
    Anybody want to school me on local etiquette? It seems like DOC's recommendation is to cull everything on four legs. They could care less whether I leave it to rot with the 1080 kill or fly it out like the waro guys. Obviously I'm not going to do that, so what do Kiwis want foreign hunters to do?

I'm inclined to let young stags walk, pack out all meat and donate any extra (homekill butcher or one of y'all?), and stay tight lipped about how DIY-friendly your awesome country is. Any informal rules I should know of? Is it kosher for me to cull goats or should I only shoot what I can haul out? Don't shoot nanny chamois?

Just trying to be respectful, thanks guys.
    Goats are open season down here as well. Most hunters don't shoot goats as they are looking for deer and don't want to scare off anything nearby they have not spotted yet. But goats breed prolifically, they don't have and natural predators here, and they are definitely at pest levels in a lot of places.

One big rule here is Identify your target. Know that it is what you intend to shoot. It might well be a deer, but is it on a hunters back? DoC here is a permit hunt, and while some blocks are balloted, most are really permitted so DoC has some idea of how many people want permission to hunt so most places dont have a limit on the number of permits. It is Public land and the public is allowed there. Trampers and non hunters do not even need permits and could also be present...In fact if you want to met other hunters, hunting public land in the roar / rut is a good way to do so as there is often others out there as well.

Wish you the best of luck, and thank you for taking the time to ask. I hope you have a great time here. Others may have more to add and have more info than I do.

Hello and welcome. Going to a spot like the Moke and shooting a few goats is the best possible thing an overseas hunter can do to make their "main" hunt more enjoyable and successful. I'm not in any way a guide but I've taken many visiting hunters to the Moke and other spots like it to help them "acclimatize" to our southern mountain terrain and conditions. If no one else offers look me up when you're ready to depart the US and I'll go with you if work commitments permit.
    Joe_90 and SimpleRick90 like this.

Thanks everybody, it's good to get clarification and I appreciate the responses. Even though I have an exclusive permit and balloted roar block (sorry to be "that guy" who added competition to the Wanaka blocks ) I'll be very mindful of non-hunters. Public land in the States is similar, you never know who you'll run across and no deer is worth living with a fatal mistake.

I'm abusing that search button and have a copy of Lentle & Saxton's Red Deer being shipped. Really looking forward to this trip even if it's just for the scenery.

Would love to take you up on that Tentman, I'll PM you once I've hit my 5 posts.