Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Nick

Rookie from Manawatu

Hi there guys,
    I am a uni student from rural Manawatu but study at Wellington uni (go home most weekends and holidays). I have brought up on on a diary farm have been able to experience small game hunting (rabbits, possums) and duck hunting. I was able to get my firearms license in 2012 and bought my first .22 two years ago. Since then I have been an eager hunter and thirsty to take on bigger mammals such as deer, pigs, goats etc. During the Easter break my friend was kind enough to let me go pig + deer hunting with her family. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I am not born a hunter so I was never really brought up knowing how to deer stalk so I thought it would be good if i joined this group to get ideas, tips and advice! I don't know much about where to hunt (in the Manawatu) etc so id appreciate any help regarding that (not asking for Spot X) but a good place to start! Similarly it would be great to get to know some people within my region (and out) and hopefully go out for hunt or a beer sometime!

Thanks a lot folks,
    Best,
    Nick

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Manawatu branch of NZDA is having a range shoot tomorrow at Cheltenham range 10 30. It's just a casual shoot just bring ear muffs something to lay on and $3 for range fees. There will be people there to ask about local spots.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Nick
    Thanks mate, will look into something like that, I live close by to the shooting range! Is the HUNTS program quite active in the Manawatu? I expressed interest last year but haven't heard anything. Doing some mountain saftey courses sounds quite good for someone like me too. Thanks again.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiehunter View Post
    Thanks mate, will look into something like that, I live close by to the shooting range! Is the HUNTS program quite active in the Manawatu? I expressed interest last year but haven't heard anything. Doing some mountain saftey courses sounds quite good for someone like me too. Thanks again.
    There was a Hunts course that finished a couple of weeks ago. Come along to a meeting and put your name down on the list for the next one. Meetings are the last Wednesday of the month at 7 30Pm. 251 College Street. This month is AGM so maybe next month might be better.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Welcome Nick, good luck mate
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gudday mate - Shootm is on the money, go have a yarn with the deerstalker lads.
    If you've got the gear and don't mind exploring, pretty much any DoC area at the road ends north of Ashhurst have critters. Just make sure you check access requirements before you go - some need permission to cross farmers land.
    Grab a copy of the Hunting "SpotX" book if you can, it'll give you a few ideas of where to go look.