Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Sat Shri Akal --- Newbie on the forum

Sat Shri Akal --- Newbie on the forum

Kia Ora good chaps,

Inder here from Bangalore, INDIA. Born and brought up in North India moved to South for bread. I've been an avid outdoor man since I can remember. Got into shooting at age of 12 when my dad gifted me a Diana airgun. Never looked back afer that. Did lot of fishing in INDIA for Mahseer not much of a hunting, sadly its banned here. I am a big supporter of RKBA and been a member of https://indiansforguns.com/ (largest gun forum in INDIA) since its inception.

Last year wifey decided to do her Masters. We were looking at the options and really loved New Zealand and its culture. She applied and luckily got admitted at Massey, came to Palmer stone at start of this year. Earlier plan was that she will keep visiting while me with 2 kids, 15 & 4 will stay in INDIA.

I have been lurking on the forum since wife discovered NZ. @Ryan_Songhurst thread ( https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....dragged-60818/ ) and support of you kind folks pushed me to join. I am also in similar situation. My older one did not take staying away from her mother well and started to feel sick (surprisingly younger 4 YO took it pretty well). As we already spent almost all of our savings on my wife studies, her moving back was not really an option. We decided to move to NZ with kids till wife completes her studies, I resigned from my job and was waiting to book tickets when this Covid situation struck and borders closed. Now I am sitting here without a job and still away from wife. Its okay though, almighty has his ways to test us. Hopefully one day everything will get better and all will be with loved ones with joy in their life.

I am a member of Rifle association here and shoot Olympic Trap. Will be looking for trap shooting clubs if and when I am there. Apart from that I love Archery. Big Jim https://bigjimsbowcompany.com/ from USA just finished a Thunderchild longbow for me. Hoping to get it shipped when everything settles till then will practice with my Samick Sage and get better so that I can hunt goats when I am in Palmy. Hoping to meet good blokes and make friends for life as I have here in South INDIA.

Thanks for reading the long post and apologies for the rant.

-Inder
    mikee, 308, Woody and 2 others like this.

Welcome Inder, really great introduction.
    I wish you all the best when you are able to finally get over here.
    Inder likes this.
    Duurty .30cal

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
    Sigmund Freud

Welcome.
    Inder likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

plenty of good hunting not overly far away from palmy....welcome aboard.
    Inder likes this.

Hey mate , welcome to Palmerston north. I am also from palmy. Not a bad place really! .Chin up , everything happens for a reason a wise man once told me.
    Inder likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Excellent Introduction, Im sure you will enjoy your time in NZ when you get here, will you eat the Goats & can you eat Venison/Deer meat or Wild Pork ?

It would of been fantastic to hunt India back in the day & I think I read some where that Wild Boar & may be Nilgai/Blue Bull could be hunted for crop damage control ?
    Inder likes this.

All the best for you and your family.
    Inder likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Welcome Inder, really great introduction.
    I wish you all the best when you are able to finally get over here.
    Thanks a lot Trig, Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Welcome.
    Thanks Max

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    plenty of good hunting not overly far away from palmy....welcome aboard.
    Thanks Micky, Hoping to get some Goats. Never done any proper hunting apart from one guided Pheasant hunt in Wisconsin USA. Was a wonderful experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Hey mate , welcome to Palmerston north. I am also from palmy. Not a bad place really! .Chin up , everything happens for a reason a wise man once told me.
    Thanks Jusepy, I really like the place from the pics my wife keep sending us. Absolutely, seen lots of up and downs in my life. One thing i believe, everything happens for good. Maybe some good in this, which we are not able to see right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Excellent Introduction, Im sure you will enjoy your time in NZ when you get here, will you eat the Goats & can you eat Venison/Deer meat or Wild Pork ?

It would of been fantastic to hunt India back in the day & I think I read some where that Wild Boar & may be Nilgai/Blue Bull could be hunted for crop damage control ?
    Thanks Scout. I am a Sikh so can eat everything including beef but we do not out of respect for our Hindu brethren. Hunting was fantastic in the days of yore . In-fact I a come from a family where my grandparents/uncles hunted. Till recently we had trophies at our village house but then after the Ban everyone stopped. New generation and even my generation has no interest in Hunting or outdoor way of life. Trying to reverse the trend with my son, this reason played a big part in decision to move to NZ.

Yes technically one can hunt Wild Boar and Blue bulls but there is too much red tape involved. You can not consume the meat, carcass need to be buried in presence of District Forest Officer so people avoid taking that route and indulge in poaching. Not my cup of tea, too averse to illegal things.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Good intro @Inder. Really hope you make it. Palmy Stone......erghhh...you could do better.....good universities and hunting further south like Christchurch, though we can’t compete when it comes to hunting goats....bloody nice in a good curry.....the only thing I miss about the North Island.

Anyway, hope to hear more of you and your families adventures getting here to New Zealand.

Cheers
    Phil
    Wife wanted to stay in a small place and liked Massey's environment and we did not have much info but we are liking what we see in the pics which she sends. Maybe in future if we decide to live in NZ longer or wife decide to do her doctorate

Thanks a lot for so warm welcome chaps. turned from a gloomy to awesome day for me here.

-Inder
    Last edited by Inder; 09-05-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    All the best for you and your family.
    Thanks Woody,

BTW chaps my wife makes a bloody good goat curry so if I ever get a goat. You all will be invited . Dreams for now but heck one can always do that

-Inder
    veitnamcam likes this.

Welcome, you’ll enjoy NZ and its hunting opportunities, I used to read books about hunting in India in the early days (pre 1960?) and it’s a shame it’s all gone.

Welcome Inder - when you finally get to go bush the only surprise in comparison to (South) India may well be the isolation - it's really easy to be alone out in the NZ bush

If you want a start then your local NZDA runs the HUNTS course which is a good general starter for those who want to give it a go
    There is a book with the course which is a good read
    https://www.deerstalkers.org.nz/HUNTS

I've met plenty of Indians here who are mad keen* on goats and they are not prized as highly amongst locals as pigs and deer so the access to hunting them is easier, if that makes sense
    If you got into the practice of supplying goat meat amongst Palmerston North Indians that may well be a good way in; just a thought

* In NZ society the word "keen" is what they call a Shibboleth - just say that you are keen on something or keen in general (ie eager to get into it) and you will go far amongst kiwis

Good luck, brother
    Inder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Welcome, you’ll enjoy NZ and its hunting opportunities, I used to read books about hunting in India in the early days (pre 1960?) and it’s a shame it’s all gone.
    Thanks Finnwolf, I grew up reading Jim Corbett (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett ) and discovered Kenneth Anderson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Anderson_(writer) when i moved to south. I plan to get the books along to NZ If and when I am there. Want my son to read and develop love of outdoors like it happened with me.

Yes its a colossal tragedy. Basically a whole generation is devoid of any knowledge about guns and hunting. They believe on whatever the greenies feed them. There is no hope at all that people will listen to reason and use hunting as a conservation tool as its been used in many other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Welcome Inder - when you finally get to go bush the only surprise in comparison to (South) India may well be the isolation - it's really easy to be alone out in the NZ bush

If you want a start then your local NZDA runs the HUNTS course which is a good general starter for those who want to give it a go
    There is a book with the course which is a good read
    https://www.deerstalkers.org.nz/HUNTS

I've met plenty of Indians here who are mad keen* on goats and they are not prized as highly amongst locals as pigs and deer so the access to hunting them is easier, if that makes sense
    If you got into the practice of supplying goat meat amongst Palmerston North Indians that may well be a good way in; just a thought

* In NZ society the word "keen" is what they call a Shibboleth - just say that you are keen on something or keen in general (ie eager to get into it) and you will go far amongst kiwis

Good luck, brother
    Thanks 308 for the pointers on the book and kiwi customs. I do plan to do all the courses as required before becoming eligible to hunt. Sheep and Goat is staple in meat eating houses in INDIA so no surprises there.

I am not sure if I ever will be capable enough to supply meat to people specially when I plan to traditional bow hunt but I will always have a place on our table for honest folks irrespective of their background.

Thanks once again mates.

-Inder

Hi Inder, I too read a lot of Jim Corbett books and grew up in Malaya (as it was known as back in the 50’s) so got to see a few animals both in captivity and in the wild so appreciated what hunting opportunities COULD be had.

As an aside: when we arrived in NZ we got off the plane and my father walked through customs carrying a 303 and a 30-06 (a pre-‘64 Model 70 Winchester no less!) and all the customs guy said was ‘nice rifle’ when he saw the Model 70, try that these days and see how far you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Hi Inder, I too read a lot of Jim Corbett books and grew up in Malaya (as it was known as back in the 50’s) so got to see a few animals both in captivity and in the wild so appreciated what hunting opportunities COULD be had.

As an aside: when we arrived in NZ we got off the plane and my father walked through customs carrying a 303 and a 30-06 (a pre-‘64 Model 70 Winchester no less!) and all the customs guy said was ‘nice rifle’ when he saw the Model 70, try that these days and see how far you get!
    I still re-read Corbett and Kenneth Anderson when ever i feel like being outdoors . In-fact I was reading "The last white hunter" memoirs of Donald Anderson (Son of Kenneth Anderson) . That was a different era. A real golden one .

Ha ha that reminds me my own surprisingly good experience with TSA in USA. I was carrying a Air arms pro sport air-gun (Sadly thats all we can import) out of Chicago. Agent took it out of the case and was like what a stunning beauty (it really is ) . Thank you Mr. Singh, hope you enjoy it till very long. It was quite different than how our guys at airports treat anything which resembles a gun.

I do want to bring a Diana 52 .22 Airgun (Along with loads of shooting and fishing equipment) when i come there as it does not require a license in NZ. I am not really sure about doing that though..

-Inder

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Inder.
    Inder likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms