Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Time to make it my introduction

Time to make it my introduction

As others have done I've been lurking in the back ground for quite a while vacuuming up all the knowledge available.

I must warn you all that I suspect I have caught a serious disease.

First symptoms started years ago when I was given my first slug gun. This progressed to tagging along on shoots with friends and family.

For a long while I was not able to feed the illness due to funds shortage and went into remission while I did the, career path and raise a family thing.

Then one day some strange stirrings started I felt immediately better after I purchased a PCP air rifle (because at that time rabbits were plentiful and an FAL was not a requirement).

A fever had definitely started... symptoms presented as a need to tune the airgun to get the most power which then developed into an insatiable thirst for ACCURACY.

The government stepped in and tried to end my agony by declaring my airgun a dangerous tactical weapon capable mass destruction and requiring me to give it up or get a Licence. (turns out they were right to some extent as it's taken over 1400 rabbits to date)

What a quandary... give up the gun.... NEVER... out of my cold dead hands... so I got the licence.

That's when the illness really took a turn for the worse. After much research I purchased a rimfire (17 HMR) and the fever started afresh but much worse. In the quest for accuracy I began making things like rim thickness gauges and spent hours sorting ammo by as many criteria as could possibly exist.

I started noticing a trend to extend the range at which accuracy could still be achieved. The illness was spreading and the only respite I could get was by buying a 17 WSM ( I know some will scoff but my personal best is 288 metres rabbit dead right there) still the illness is progressing. Now I'm sorting ammo with an OAL gauge I've made, I'm amazed at the differences to Ogive that I've found in factory ammo but that's another story.

I tried different medication by buying a pump action 12g this only made things worse so I sold that and bought a semi auto 12 gauge. Mag dumps did make me feel better but.

That medication has not stopped the illness and I now find myself researching centre fire (more speed, more distance, need more accuracy) I think I have settled on .223 Rem. and lord help me I'm reading up on that dark art ..... reloading.

Be warned you fellow lurkers on this forum there is plague here, take heed of my plight it can happen to you too.

I know I can't be saved any more, I blame the government if only they hadn't made me get my FAL.

Cheers all.... now back to which .223
    veitnamcam, mikee, Pengy and 7 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @spada good to talk about this disease and share it with others as you have. It's one of the few diseases that causes immense happiness and satisfaction. Good luck with the 223 & reloading Your budget could be a factor in which 223 you choose and for what purpose it will be used for. Plenty of varminters on here can help out with valuable info....

Welcome to the support group, many fellow sufferers here

I'd recommend Digit's site (NZAR15) for a 223 to suit but be warned - AR15 disease is more virulent than reloader's illness so you'd better fortify your system, apparently beer is quite good for that..

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum Spada. There are two types of members on here. You fall in to the first OTTEE category (Over The Top Enthusiastic Expert) whereas I am one of the SLTSS category (Simply Likes To Shoot Shit). The difference between the two groups is profound but we tend to get on with one another.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thanks for the encouraging words and suggestions guys much appreciated.

@Mathias yep the budget has taken a hit, guessing I should have strung out the purchases of DPT moderator, wind velocity meter, Vortex scope, laser range finding binos and enough ammo for the next two world wars a bit more.

@308 I can feel that urge for more semi-auto action and know Digits site well. Fortunately I have a doctors recommendation to drink more beer (It had nothing to do with the renal colic I was experiencing at the time.)

@Rushy I bow to your superior knowledge and respectfully suggest an additional categorie OTTETLTSS (Over the top enthusiast that likes to shoot shit)
    Mathias likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by spada View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging words and suggestions guys much appreciated.

@Mathias yep the budget has taken a hit, guessing I should have strung out the purchases of DPT moderator, wind velocity meter, Vortex scope, laser range finding binos and enough ammo for the next two world wars a bit more.

@308 I can feel that urge for more semi-auto action and know Digits site well. Fortunately I have a doctors recommendation to drink more beer (It had nothing to do with the renal colic I was experiencing at the time.)

@Rushy I bow to your superior knowledge and respectfully suggest an additional categorie OTTETLTSS (Over the top enthusiast that likes to shoot shit)
    Aha! I will allow that every now and then we do get a cross breed in our midst. Know it all buggers that monopolise range days. Ha ha ha ha ha.
    Last edited by Rushy; 28-12-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome in mate, seems like you will fit ok.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cool intro you will fit in well here.

Welcome to the forum Spada....so the source of all your trouble is the government forcing you to get a fal Gold
    Steve123 likes this.

57JL
    watch out Spada there,s a third sickness and you don,t want to catch this if you can help it
    it causes bleeding from the ears i suffer quite badly from it
    i call it the her in doors sindrome the first signs of it ARE-- YOU BROUGHT AN OTHER F#CKIN WOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    welcome to the forum mate hope you enjoy o shit i gota go i,m bleeding all over the keyboard now where did i put that tampom
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    watch out Spada there,s a third sickness and you don,t want to catch this if you can help it
    it causes bleeding from the ears i suffer quite badly from it
    i call it the her in doors sindrome the first signs of it ARE-- YOU BROUGHT AN OTHER F#CKIN WOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    welcome to the forum mate hope you enjoy o shit i gota go i,m bleeding all over the keyboard now where did i put that tampom
    not an issue here, the wife owns more guns than i do !!
    308 likes this.

Welcome, You'll be on your second or third safe in no time.

Welcome, Geeze measuring 17 HMR is just not normal! Just bang,flop! I find the animal doesn't much care about the shape of the hole! I in the Rushy group, but without the simple. Enjoy the forum, great guys on here. Now here's something that could really make you ill, start down the big calibre Black Powder route, will add another dimension, like riding in steam trains! Enjoy
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Cheers all.

Yup the one safe is struggling with what I've collected now so the next step will incur more housing expense.

@57jl her indoor itis is endemic down here. There could have been a flair up this morning when the Maxtoch 2x I got from @burtonator arrived(thanks mate perfect order and timing). But I think I got away with it this time coz it's my Birthday.

Now I've got work to do planning the arrival of a centre fire

Quote Originally Posted by spada View Post
    Cheers all.

Yup the one safe is struggling with what I've collected now so the next step will incur more housing expense.

@57jl her indoor itis is endemic down here. There could have been a flair up this morning when the Maxtoch 2x I got from @burtonator arrived(thanks mate perfect order and timing). But I think I got away with it this time coz it's my Birthday.

Now I've got work to do planning the arrival of a centre fire
    To help with her indoor itis get rifles that look similar.