Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 3 Post By Danny

Thread: Whirinaki 2019

Whirinaki 2019

Hey guys and girls, first post on here so going to crank straight into it.......

Looking at doing a recon mission into the whirinaki over the next couple of months to sort out some roar spots for 2019 (going in for a week) looking at hunting through the central and upper Te Hoe Hut Areas (more than likely tent it though so we cover more ground) and get amongst the roaring.

I've mainly hunted the Wanganui, Pureora, Ruahines, Kaweka's catchments so am keen on feedback terrain wise, Have heard she's quite an ancient looking type forest and a storm/cyclone a few years back has altered the track paths VS indicated topo map tracks?

Any feedback would be good thanks guys

Cheers

Yes I have heard the forest has been modified by a couple of big snow storms which bought a lot of the canopy and undergrowth down. I mostly hunted the more northern areas of Whirinaki but haven't been in for several years now but have heard that area suffered a bit as well. No doubt if you talked to DOC re the condition of the tracks throughout the park you will get a better idea of the access into those areas.
    Welcome aboard by the way and maybe next post check the headings and use one of the more appropriate sites.
    Good luck on your exploration always was a good spot to hunt.
    tetawa likes this.

Hey mate. They term the track as a Route now and believe me it was always reasonably tough going in there, steep etc and with recent activity up there the bush is not too nice. The deer will be there plentifully as it was the best spot I’d been into ‘Public wise’ back in the early 90’s and with the lack of action from foot I’d say it’s good as now.
    May need to clear certain game trails so to make it quieter for the hunter etc but id say it’ll be good in there.
    I was near the Upper a few weeks back and the bush really is not too good and the beach forest isn’t like it was.
    Be a great trip, I’d love to hear how you get on and footage and pictures of the landscape would be great.
    tetawa, Woody and Mooseman like this.
    Dan M