Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Canada pictures

No she didn't say.
    But when I went through there, you didn't see many people out and about without pepper spray or a mutt.

Grizzly meat is one of the few animals where you are not required to take the meat in Alaska. Grizzly meat can be eaten though you have to be careful with it based on how grizzlies stomachs process what they eat. My understanding is that grizzly stomachs don't process raw meat very well and so they will often bury a kill and come back when it is slightly rotten. "You are what you eat" comes to mind when I was told that as they eat a lot of rotten meat their own meat can make humans sick if eaten. A grizzly feeding up on berries would be better to eat than one feeding on a dead moose for example.

Hunting grizzlies in Alaska has a lot to do with the moose and caribou population. They did some tracking of bears with video collars a while ago and there was one grizzly that killed something like 40 moose or caribou calves in 6 weeks... with the human hunting of moose as well and significantly less hunting of grizzlies (as you don't typically eat them and how many grizzly skins does someone really want) you end up with a larger grizzly population and a decreasing moose population.

Bears are bigger killers than thought, gruesome video footage reveals | Science | AAAS
    A330driver likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Gillie mate...so very true...did a lot of charters into the McNeil river,for those not familiar,google it(Alaska)......the grizz boys would eat a lot of fish,but would bury much of it as well....an awesome sight to witness,you really see how powerful these creatures are.Never got tired of seeing them and work and play.

Grizz bears hunts(of which I did the flying and packing)were something to behold.Never took one myself,rather ipenjoyed seeing them in the wild,but the sheer size and ferocity of these animals is something else.Saw the mess they made of moose,caribou,the occasional airplane,and humans who managed to get caught.

Quite often we would get word from the state,troopers,insurance company’s of missing aircraft,people etc,and a reward would be posted.One year,85,a reward was posted for a prominent lawyer who had gone missing,on all flights,you would always keep your eyes peeled ,you would never know when you would spot something.Well,6 months later they found his wrecked aircraft,it was 3 months later a couple of jokers had shot a big grizz,after gutting this thing,they found a belt buckle,and watch with this jokers name on them,given to him by his wife.Its pure speculation whether he was attacked,or died and the grizz got him,as he did make it out of the A/C......but for sure he got eaten........they do eat anything and the more rotten the better
    Last edited by A330driver; 03-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Awesome stories guys. Sorry I didn't see them when you first posted.
    Apparently the new rules in BC are you can only take the meat from a Grizzly. No trophies.
    Here's a link to a hunt for a TV show which Kate was "packy" on. She's the one wearing a kiwi dog whistle and saying nothing.
    https://youtu.be/dA0PAKD131M
    Overkill is still dead.